• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at Old Trafford

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Anderson has bowled pies today. Hard to think of the last time England actually managed to knock over the opposition without Anderson at least building pressure.

Spark

Global Moderator
Interesting to hear the commies talk about how well Clarke has been leaving the ball. I was talking to my old man earlier and was telling him Clarke was someone who liked to go at the ball quite a lot. Has clearly managed to refrain from that to an extent today, and he's got runs possibly as a result.
Think that was a result of him being totally out of nick at the start of his innings, forced himself to be very disciplined outside off

91Jmay

International Coach
Anderson has bowled pies today. Hard to think of the last time England actually managed to knock over the opposition without Anderson at least building pressure.
He did little at Lords. 50-0 opening stand and then Swann, Bresnan and Broad did the business.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There was certainly a massive over-reaction to it by most sections of the media. We saw at Trent Bridge that the sides are closely matched, which was obvious to anyone who'd seen England play anyway. Most sides can be dire once in a while, so writing off Aus after Lord's was like judging the 2010/11 England side on how they went at Perth.
They have lost 6 tests in a row...

We have seen they are capable of playing good cricket but even you are your most negative know that England are a better side.

Cook going to make 200.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
There was certainly a massive over-reaction to it by most sections of the media. We saw at Trent Bridge that the sides are closely matched, which was obvious to anyone who'd seen England play anyway. Most sides can be dire once in a while, so writing off Aus after Lord's was like judging the 2010/11 England side on how they went at Perth.
I think it's more about the attitude to batting, Watson stopped his usual blazing away and tightened up, resulting in a good opening stand, Rogers and Clarke stopped letting the bowlers bowl to them and have attacked with good judgement, Jimmy and Swann have been under pressure for most of the day, which has reflected in the score.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He did little at Lords. 50-0 opening stand and then Swann, Bresnan and Broad did the business.
He bowled well though. He doesn't always have to take wickets for the England attack to fire but when he's actually having an off day and bowling poorly I think it can struggle a bit.

91Jmay

International Coach
I like this now, its a flat pitch so just dry up runs until the second new ball. Bresnan does give us good control, if not quite as good as he did in 2011, still.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Smith celebrates the 100 stand by playing his first good shot for the innings.

Will probably get out now

BeeGee

International Captain
As discussed on the worlds most respected Twitter account (@murf1987), Starc is the right call. Dry pitch, reverse swing. Already have two hit the deck bowlers in Harris and Siddle so if you bring in Bird he has to be at the expense of one of them.
Good post on debut.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
that was worse than broad, England looking a little ragged, didn't expect such a toil, this day ain't over though

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What's the pitch like btw? Rumours about the dodgy looking track proved to be false?

Really pissed that I've been unable to watch so much of the series.