• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at Old Trafford

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
That certainly used to be the case, I don't know if it's still the case although I suspect so. I've certainly never seen an off stump HawkEye where it's been ump's call and I've thought 'that's ridiculous.'
The off stump is slightly different because it's usually a case of whether it hits in line rather than whether it will clip off stump.

They don't actually have different rules for the different stumps do they?
Wonder if this'll change your mind: DRS is a joke - YouTube

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That certainly used to be the case, I don't know if it's still the case although I suspect so. I've certainly never seen an off stump HawkEye where it's been ump's call and I've thought 'that's ridiculous.'
The reason for this is the fact that very few HawkEye decisions come down to whether or not the ball would hit off or not. If only 45% of the ball is hitting off then it'll more than likely not be hitting in line, and when the batsman doesn't play a shot and the impact is irrelevant, the umpire's call is very, very often 'out' anyway. The margin set for off stump is the same as leg stump but it never becomes an issue.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The reason for this is the fact that very few HawkEye decisions come down to whether or not the ball would hit off or not. If only 45% of the ball is hitting off then it'll more than likely not be hitting in line, and when the batsman doesn't play a shot and the impact is irrelevant, the umpire's call is very, very often 'out' anyway. The margin set for off stump is the same as leg stump but it never becomes an issue.
You'd think left-armers would have a few tight ones, or off-spinners going around the wicket. I suppose there aren't that many left-armers around these days though.

91Jmay

International Coach
Old Trafford still one of the ****test big grounds in England, can't even steward it properly on its big day. Edgbaston was robbed.

91Jmay

International Coach
Aussies well placed for 450-500. Match winning score, as I predicted pre-test they would win this one.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Just on the losing a review to umpire's call thing, I feel like the margins for ump's call are so generous that you'd just get almost every vaguely close LBW decision reviewed, which they obviously want to avoid. Just off the top of my head it feels like the clear majority of referred LBW decisions are umpire's call somewhere along the line, clipping a stump or pitching on the edge of the line of off stump or whatever. We'd get a lot more reviews if they changed that. On the plus side, you'd get less strategising about effective use of reviews since you could just go look at anything close, but it's debatable if that would be a good thing from the ICC standpoint.

It's definitely an issue though.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
maybe Lords was what the Aussie team needed, just like the Root incident was what Warner needed
There was certainly a massive over-reaction to it by most sections of the media. We saw at Trent Bridge that the sides are closely matched, which was obvious to anyone who'd seen England play anyway. Most sides can be dire once in a while, so writing off Aus after Lord's was like judging the 2010/11 England side on how they went at Perth.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Interesting to hear the commies talk about how well Clarke has been leaving the ball. I was talking to my old man earlier and was telling him Clarke was someone who liked to go at the ball quite a lot. Has clearly managed to refrain from that to an extent today, and he's got runs possibly as a result.