• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Odd that they pick Woakes for ODIs when domestically his record's miles better in the FC game. Dicko would be fuming.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Odd that they pick Woakes for ODIs when domestically his record's miles better in the FC game. Dicko would be fuming.
Well I don't think it's that they actually think he's a better OD player than he is a FD player as much as they just need a player of his type a lot more in their ODI side. When you've got a good spinner who can bowl long spells and play a big role on any surface then you don't need a fifth bowler in Test cricket but you need one in ODIs regardless. This goes double when the rest of your ODI side is set up like England's is.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
it's because there are ****k all good od bowlers in english cricket and even less with more than one skill.

Woakes and Dernbach are terrible but they are just as **** as the rest of countycricket.

Uppercut

Well I don't think it's that they actually think he's a better OD player than he is a FD player as much as they just need a player of his type a lot more in their ODI side. When you've got a good spinner who can bowl long spells and play a big role on any surface then you don't need a fifth bowler in Test cricket but you need one in ODIs regardless. This goes double when the rest of your ODI side is set up like England's is.
Yeah it's a handier player type for ODIs. Ireland sometimes just pick 10 of them plus a wicket keeper.

But Bresnan isn't a million miles away from Woakes and they're a big fan of him in tests. And if he's only playing ODIs his style of bowling will probably move towards that of someone like Dernbach, so it seems like a waste of a potentially very useful test cricketer. I guess it comes back to the whole thing about pace at the highest level.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
it's because there are ****k all good od bowlers in english cricket and even less with more than one skill.

Woakes and Dernbach are terrible but they are just as **** as the rest of countycricket.
Don't know much about your average CC players but I reckon that Oz state teams would have to be struck down by bubonic plague before a guy of Dernbach's level came into consideration for us as there is no way he would rank in the top 10 fast bowlers in shorter formats

What's more, he has never been any good so why don't they just try someone else?

Jarquis

Yeah it's a handier player type for ODIs. Ireland sometimes just pick 10 of them plus a wicket keeper.

But Bresnan isn't a million miles away from Woakes and they're a big fan of him in tests. And if he's only playing ODIs his style of bowling will probably move towards that of someone like Dernbach, so it seems like a waste of a potentially very useful test cricketer. I guess it comes back to the whole thing about pace at the highest level.
It's because there hasn't been a real opening and the competition for Test bowling places is a lot stiffer than it is for ODIs where one of 20 could be given a game and it'd be a pretty similar shade of ****.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Don't like this at all. Can see why they have picked him but really don't like the way we can just take players from Ireland, it's not right.
I know.. they might ve beaten Pak with Rankin right? Feel bad this is how it has to go down for Ireland..

Uppercut

Don't see the point of Rankin. He wasn't even one of Ireland's stand-out bowlers. The raw attributes are there but he's a bit too old and injury-prone to think about moulding him into something special.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Don't know much about your average CC players but I reckon that Oz state teams would have to be struck down by bubonic plague before a guy of Dernbach's level came into consideration for us as there is no way he would rank in the top 10 fast bowlers in shorter formats

What's more, he has never been any good so why don't they just try someone else?
my theory about english odi cricket is that because the domestic cricket favours four day cricket and one day games are tagged onto the end of first class games players never really get to learn or hone their skills.

There is so much cricket played and so little practice time that it breeds mediocrity and one day bowling is worst affected because the bowlers are knackered after playing first class cricket and most good 4 day bowlers are rested or shoving it down without thinking much.

social

Don't see the point of Rankin. He wasn't even one of Ireland's stand-out bowlers. The raw attributes are there but he's a bit too old and injury-prone to think about moulding him into something special.
Supposed to be sharpish, isn't he?