• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Mike5181

International Captain
Yeah, Fulton's day today. Can't imagine what that century means to him. He's managed to get that average up to around 30 now as well. Hopefully he continues on from here. I was massively impressed with Williamson as well. Solid as a rock in defense, and some of his boundaries were just orgasmic.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Have to say this series has felt a little bit like a joke.
Yeah, if we get 500 and they then get 500 too, well then we really have to look at the wickets we are producing. But we'll see after two bats.

Pleased for Fulton and it's always good to see Kane in the runs. He's gonna be ace, that boy.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Unbelievable day. Only slightly less unbelievable than the second day in Dunedin.

Very pleased for Fulton - great story to score his first test hundred at 34. I believed he might be a good player until about five years ago and then lost faith. I'll go with Coney's kind description of Fulton's technique - that he "has his own unique approach" - but he has the mentality and method that, with a bit of luck and some average bowling, can score runs. Hope he kicks on tomorrow. Sounds like Williamson's played very well too.

England don't want to be in this situation, don't want to be out there on the park and don't want to have to scrap for a face-saving draw, so if we can get to 500 they will be under a lot of pressure - all to lose for them and nothing to gain.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Rain pretty much washed out three full days in the first two tests, otherwise we would've found a winner in both tests.
Exactly right, sick of the English media moaning about the state of these pitches to be honest. Both Tests would have had a result if not for the rain.

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
Exactly right, sick of the English media moaning about the state of these pitches to be honest. Both Tests would have had a result if not for the rain.
Test matches aren't suppose to last five days these days... lol.. Good point, the 0-0 is the same as 1-1 which would be the score after the second test if it weren't for rain.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
If recent posts are to be believed, then it sounds like our much vaunted attack has been barely professional; sluggish, inaccurate and disinterested once it became clear that NZ weren't going to donate their wickets. And Boycs was dead right about Cook's call to insert NZ. Let's hope NZ press on and make the lazy buggers pay for their attitude towards this match. Reminds me about Geoff Howarth's comment regarding the infamous Christchurch match in 1984, about 'a very strange culture around the England side' at the time. Yet again, after a brief spell of professionalism in India, this lot seem to be going down the same path.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Have to say this series has felt a little bit like a joke.
I agree. A lot of the off field stuff I've read through here, the media (here's looking at you England) social media has been a giggle.

Let me count the ways: Pitches are too slow/low/dead, yet we'd be at 1-1 with plenty of great performances with bat and ball, locals complaining about us being too slow this morning, one ex-England captain getting carried away about their juicy odds after winning the toss while another ex-player called it the worst decision in memory - with the benefit of hindsight and no suggestion (despite he being a former bowler) that it was erroneous line and length...and so forth.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
1 brings 2.

That pitch with the new ball looked reasonably difficult to bat on. Must really take a proud seam to get the movement though as the commentators kept saying it had been flat for most of the day except the start.

Anyways 1 brings 2 - has to be at the top of our minds tomorrow for the first hour and in fact the whole first session. Only put the foot to the floor after lunch tomorrow.

Jezroy

State Captain
Williamson's average has crept up to 33. Good to see it heading in the right direction this series.
From Cricinfo...

Kane Williamson's unbeaten 83 is his fifth 50-plus score in 14 Test innings at home; in home Tests he averages 47.63, compared to an away average of 28.51 in 27 innings.

And that away average includes 2 of his 100's - but good to see such a strong showing at home so early on.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Is it me or did the likes of Chris Martin and others actually manage to swing the ball in recent seasons. Steyn, Philander, back to Sidebottom. Seems like no-one has really got the ball to swing at all this series apart from the odd ball (notably Wagner to KP). This despite Anderson, Southee and Boult playing, who have good form for it. Anyone have any theories why this is the case?

To me NZ wickets have mostly been pretty lifeless for a while now, particularly in March at the end of their seasons, but bowlers have generally been able to take wickets with a bit of movement in the air.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Is it me or did the likes of Chris Martin and others actually manage to swing the ball in recent seasons. Steyn, Philander, back to Sidebottom. Seems like no-one has really got the ball to swing at all this series apart from the odd ball (notably Wagner to KP). This despite Anderson, Southee and Boult playing, who have good form for it. Anyone have any theories why this is the case?

To me NZ wickets have mostly been pretty lifeless for a while now, particularly in March at the end of their seasons, but bowlers have generally been able to take wickets with a bit of movement in the air.
I wouldn't say the pitches have been lifeless, but there's certainly been less swing on display this summer than is usual. That's probably largely due to the drought conditions.

Mike5181

International Captain
From Cricinfo...

Kane Williamson's unbeaten 83 is his fifth 50-plus score in 14 Test innings at home; in home Tests he averages 47.63, compared to an away average of 28.51 in 27 innings.

And that away average includes 2 of his 100's - but good to see such a strong showing at home so early on.
If he gets to his hundred tomorrow, all four of his test hundreds will have been against different opposition as well. India, South Africa, Sri Lanka, and hopefully England.