• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Geez why would you want a second spinner when the first one is getting smoked and hasn't even looked like taking a wicket.
Mainly because the pacemen (apart from Pattinson) look even less likely to do anything. Same as when we went 3/1 in the first test last year, nothing in pitch for the quicks so you either have to bowl exceptionally well or get some luck.

benchmark00

It's fair enough, I mean you would have liked to see him get another three over spell out of him, but it's best to be fresh and potent than just grind yourself into the turf, a lot of cricket to come.

flibbertyjibber

Lets face it regarding Pattinson, only the Aussie team and coaching staff will know how fit he really is and whether they think he is likely to break down again if he bowls much more. Guess we have to wait till the end of the series and see what the score is as to whether it is a policy that worked.

What would people prefer bowl him for 12 overs today and see him breakdown again and miss the next 6 months as well or ease him in slowly?

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How much cricket has Patto played post-injury?
He played a game for Victoria in which he was only allowed to bowl 12 overs a day - and he did exactly that, 12 overs in each innings. Then he went to India and bowled 9 overs in a tour game, had the second tour game off, and this is this third game back. Coming into this game he'd bowled 33 overs since his injury.

So in other words, **** all.

Burgey

England's best up and coming quick knocks over the stumps at his end. Patto does it at the other end.

Sylvester

State Captain
Mainly because the pacemen (apart from Pattinson) look even less likely to do anything. Same as when we went 3/1 in the first test last year, nothing in pitch for the quicks so you either have to bowl exceptionally well or get some luck.
That's all well and good if you have a Monty Panesar who averages a touch over 30 in FC and 32 in Test cricket in your squad. We have a guy averaging a touch under 45 in FC and 102 in Test cricket. Add in the fact our best spinner not doing much then I would say the second spinner would do little to help our cause. Bird should have been playing and if we had picked SOK then the second spinner option wouldn't have looked as bad.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Starc really needs to vary his bowling more.

I think he's taken the criticism that he is too inconsistent and all over the park too literally and is basically bowling the same ball attacking the off-stump at good-short length only varied by the ball where he gets the same wrong and concedes four behind the stumps outside leg.

Imagine he'd be very hard to face as a tailender though.

Burgey

Starc really needs to vary his bowling more.

I think he's taken the criticism that he is too inconsistent and all over the park too literally and is basically bowling the same ball attacking the off-stump at good-short length only varied by the ball where he gets the same wrong and concedes four behind the stumps outside leg.

Imagine he'd be very hard to face as a tailender though.
I think he was bowling to a plan tbh. Around the wicket for that long isn't something done on a whim. No doubt they'll reassess it over night. India has hardly got away from them.

Spark

Global Moderator
They haven't got away but they certainly have more runs at this stage than we would've liked - they're scoring too quickly for my liking.

Satyanash89

Banned
They haven't got away but they certainly have more runs at this stage than we would've liked - they're scoring too quickly for my liking.
Our lineup is pathetic though... after this pair, only Ashwin's a good batsman imo. I have zero confidence in Dhoni and Jadeja. These two need to bat on for a while longer to take us to a decent position... 200 is a lot to be trailing by

Burgey

You'd expect that when the runs are coming from the three best players though.

You've got a five man attack, four of whom haven't played a test in India before, and the best bowler is back after a long lay off. Maybe they got a bit too cute in mixing the bowling up a little too much. It doesn't let the batsmen settle I suppose, but the same applies to the bowlers. Couple of wickets breaks it wide open.

Last edited: