• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Surely Dhoni isn't cracking it solely on the fact the umpire turned it down? Something else must have got up his nose.

Very true from Senile, it was Ponting-esque. Pointing of the finger completely unacceptable.
He should be banned and India disqualified

Satyanash89

Banned
Poor stuff from Dhoni... hope he does that more frequently and loses that undeserved Captain Cool moniker.
Should get fined for this and probably will. Gavaskar to then accuse the officials of racism... im calling it now

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Isn't Thorpey involved with our batting on some level too? Pretty sure I remember him featuring in the Loins docu Sky showed during the SA series.

Was a great player of spin, but clearly his charges failing to follow the great man's lead.
I'd back Thorpe to score more than most of the current side even now.

Possibly Gooch too, even if he is mid-60's.

Throw in Flower and we have the making of a batting line-up.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd back Thorpe to score more than most of the current side even now.

Possibly Gooch too, even if he is mid-60's.

Throw in Flower and we have the making of a batting line-up.
Ha, well the options to replace Bell for the second are Morgan, Bairstow and Root.

Reckon I'd be taking Flower as well.

British citizen now and he must've done his four year qualification...

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Ha, well the options to replace Bell for the second are Morgan, Bairstow and Root.

Reckon I'd be taking Flower as well.

British citizen now and he must've done his four year qualification...
Oddly enough someone on Cricinfo is making the same point even as we speak. Apparently he was playing when Zim saved a game after conceding a 200+ run deficit in India.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Compton's first Test boundary; wouldn't have been betting on it being a reverse sweep, myself, but it was a good shot all the same. I really think he needs to be more assertive against Yadav though; if he'd got that full toss in a county fixture he'd have put it away 999 times out of 1000, which just shows where his head is.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, there is the moment the reverse sweep became mainstream in test cricket. A debutant opener who struggled first dig playing it on 6*.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
However this innings turns out for him, and however bad he looks right now, I've more sympathy for Compton. First test, batting out of position and all that. And he is the only one in the top six who has never played a test in the SC. For all the talk of how inexperienced we are in these conditions, the rest of them have actually played quite a few times in the SC or UAE.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
That single Compton got last over is just what England never do, use their feet to work the ball for singles. It's either, block or whack usually.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Totally agree wpdavid. The thing is we all know that Compton will be the one dropped when we inevitably get hammered. I am not convinced by him but I do think he has been given a very short straw by making him open when he isn't an opener. Trouble is you would be throwing in Root who probably is 12 months short of being ready anyway.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
His grandfather would have approved. Not that Dennis played too many reverse sweeps, but spirit of the shot and all that.
Yeah, truth in that, no doubt.

Don't want to knock a tyro on debut, but I think we can probably say Nick is no Denis Compton.

You can only piss with the **** you have and all that.