• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australian Domestic Thread 2012/13

uvelocity

International Coach
umm yeah because what anybody did before he came in has great insight into cutting swinging from the hip.. great link top****

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Never say die. That fighting QLD spirit. Origin moment from Cutting etc, etc.

But yeah, quite pleased with the first innings points.

Hopes gets Hughes again!

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Victoria appropriately smashed by a dominant NSW pairing in the annual
Law Society Golf Day at Manly today.

Taste it.

Top_Cat

You're full of ****, that's a replay from The 'Gabba.

EDIT: Okay seriously, any bationistas want to have a go at what the problem is? I mean, it's not as if he's just nicking everything outside off, that was over off when it got to him. Moving away, off a length, nick. Incredible. I'm guessing anything other than balls pitching a metre outside leg are in danger of ending up in the cordon.

Just the back leg not getting across and causing the angled bat? Fiendishly tough problem to fix but is that it?

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

EDIT: Okay seriously, any bationistas want to have a go at what the problem is? I mean, it's not as if he's just nicking everything outside off, that was over off when it got to him. Moving away, off a length, nick. Incredible. I'm guessing anything other than balls pitching a metre outside leg are in danger of ending up in the cordon.

Just the back leg not getting across and causing the angled bat? Fiendishly tough problem to fix but is that it?
Well in that example he completely squared himself off; really should have been playing it off the front foot too. It's actually quite different to how he usually gets out caught slip, hilarious as that may sound.

Top_Cat

Well in that example he completely squared himself off; really should have been playing it off the front foot too. It's actually quite different to how he usually gets out caught slip, hilarious as that may sound.
To my eyes, the squaring-up happened after he nicked it. Virtually a replay of his other dismissals but, honestly, I haven't looked that closely at them.

When I've seen other blokes do that, it's because the ball has moved a foot but by staying right back, he's allowing the ball to get big so maybe he needs to get forward or get real good at leaving the ball?

Last edited:

Burgey

It's a pretty decent ball tbh. Looks like it pitched middle or so and went across, so he had to play. I only looked at it the once mind you. He could have left it on length I guess, but still.

He's basically rebuilding his technique. It's a pretty hard thing to do while playing FC cricket. I know he's nicking off a lot, but I'm a lot happier seing him making some effort to go back and across instead of staying leg side of the ball. The latter is effeminate and shows a lack of ticker.

If you're monumentally changing your trigger movement, and he is, it's not surprising you'll lose where your off stump is to some extent. So it's great he's moving his feet in a more orthodox manner, but he's still very much a work in progress I think.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
To my eyes, the squaring-up happened after he nicked it. Virtually a replay of his other dismissals but, honestly, I haven't looked that closely at them.

When I've seen other blokes do that, it's because the ball has moved a foot but by staying right back, he's allowing the ball to get big so maybe he needs to get forward or get real good at leaving the ball?
Yeah I'd only seen it once; having actually looked at it in essentially slow motion (pausing it after few frames :p), his back foot movement is just really, really late. When he plays at it initially his back foot is still on leg, then he brings it around and gets squared up as he's already edging it. It's almost like he just momentarily forgot that he'd changed his technique, instinctively decided to stay leg side of the ball and force and square, then tried to quickly fix it mid-stroke when it was too straight, which as Burgey said is all part of the growing pains involved with changing your technique.

One thing that stands out for me on that replay though is that it's a full delivery. It's not a half volley, but he should be looking to get forward to balls of that length pretty much every time, especially since his forward defence is so much more solid than his back defence on off stump.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hmm, interesting lineup. First thoughts is that Joe Burns is so unlucky.

Its slightly weird that 3 openers are playing. The team is going to have an awesome tail with McDonald, Hastings and Coulter-Nile to bat incredibly at 9,10 and 11.

EDIT - With McDonald captain, he might bat higher, but you can't really play Henriques or Maxwell down at 9.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Surprised they didn't include Starc. Seems they already know their bowling attack for the Gabba.

I also would have thought they'd be tempted to play both Haddin and Wade.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
wtf. wtf. wtf.

happy for Doolan, he is class. WTF is Davis doing there? Smith, com eon, done nothing to be there. Hastings deserves a go, thought Cosgrove shouldve been there, stuff his weight issues, he is a class batsman, no-one could argue, very tight technique. Burns should definitely be there. Hughes lucky i think, 2 very poor FC matches in a row, not exactly in form to get a test spot if something comes up, why reward bad form?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
End of the day its not a huge deal who gains selection as all the state teams are playing anyway in a four day game as opposed to a 3 dayer, so some players might actually gain more from playing Shield - although a big haul or a classy ton against the touring side always helps players, just ask Geoff Foley (thanks Noble One) and Corey Richards. :dry:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would've loved to see O'Keefe in there. Not sure why he keeps being overlooked; he's not exactly a strike bowler but he at least keeps it tight and can hold a bat, yet the only spinners the selectors ever mention are Holland and Lyon.

Andre

International Regular
Would've loved to see O'Keefe in there. Not sure why he keeps being overlooked; he's not exactly a strike bowler but he at least keeps it tight and can hold a bat, yet the only spinners the selectors ever mention are Holland and Lyon.
He was awful last year an hasn't been much better this summer. 6th or 7th in the spin pecking order at best. Pretty lucky to be playing Shield cricket really.