• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Dujon was the only wicketkeeper I came to a compromise on, because a WI XI is always heavily based around pace bowling. I wanted someone with experience to the modern WI giants.

I reckon we think in dichotomies too much with wicketkeepers. If they batted well, they must be **** with the gloves and vice versa.

Just my $0.02 for the day.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Questions for KYear...

So was it "intellectually dishonest" of the Australian selectors in the 90s to pick David Boon at 3? or the English selectors when they picked Vaughan or Butcher to play and not open....

(Given the bowling line-ups these alltime sides will be facing in the mythical contest we're considering, I think having a 3rd opener to come in at 3 is a pretty sensible strategy myself...)

If you can't play Hutton and Sutcliffe together because you don't want them at the crease at the same time, does this mean you didn't pick Dravid in your all-time Indian xi because you wouldn't want him batting with Gavaskar? (later edit... oh I see you did?)

If players can only be picked to play in their best positions, does this mean I can only pick one of Bradman, Ponting and Harvey in an all-time Aussie xi, since they all batted at 3?

And re the McGrath/Davidson discussion, who's this "we" who picked McGrath in an all-time xi?

Bowlers I consider better than McGrath :
Marshall, Lillee, Trueman, Ambrose (plus Barnes though I'm a bit confused still if they perform similar roles)

Bowlers as good as McGrath who offer more to the whole team due to batting/fielding/variety :
Procter, Miller, Lindwall, Davidson, Hadlee, Imran, Wasim

He was a great, but he's nowhere near my all time xi. And I happily pick Davidson ahead of McGrath in an all-time Australian side, for the left-arm variety and the batting.
One, there is a distinction between moving up and down the middle order and moving from opening to the middle order. Two, Boon, Vaughn ect actually did those things, Hutton never batted at three and was BY FAR more succesful when opening. The example that everyone is ignoring is that, is it ok as The West Indies has a relatively weak second opener if I can just say open with Sir Everton instead of Sir Conrad, similarily replace Anwar with Mohammad Yousuf. It doesn't work that way. You have openers to choose from for the openers and middle order batsmen to choose from for the middle order. Keep it separate.

Again to state, I am not dissing Davidson, he was a Great fast bowler and one of the top two LHF bolwers in the history of the game. What I was saying is that he isn't mentioned when discussing who is the very Best Fast Bowler of All Time, Mcgrath is.

Flametree

International 12th Man
One, there is a distinction between moving up and down the middle order and moving from opening to the middle order. Two, Boon, Vaughn ect actually did those things, Hutton never batted at three and was BY FAR more succesful when opening.
I tend to agree, but I think a great opener is more likely to be able to bat at 3 than a
successful number 5. So I'm happy that Hutton was a great opener, and would have scored runs at 3. (Your last point is wrong. In his 7 innings for England where he didn't open, he averaged 57...)

Eds

International Debutant
I think kyear is missing the point of these teams. It's not just to put players in where they played. It's based on what we think would assemble the most successful possible side based upon only players from a single country. If you think Worrell would add more to the team than Roy Fredericks, even when out of position, then put him in. If you think Len Hutton would contribute more than Denis Compton, even when out of position, then put him in.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I tend to agree, but I think a great opener is more likely to be able to bat at 3 than a
successful number 5. So I'm happy that Hutton was a great opener, and would have scored runs at 3. (Your last point is wrong. In his 7 innings for England where he didn't open, he averaged 57...)
Hutton deals with this point in his autobiography - he wrote that he always, with one exception, wanted to go in at number one and he didn't like going in in the middle order - the one exception was against the West Indies in 1950 after he carried his bat for 202*, albeit not enough to help England avoid the follow on as the other 10 could only get 131 between them, so understandably keen on a break he asked to be excused opening duties second time round, was refused, and was out for 2 as Ram and Val shot England out in no time

Jager

International Debutant
I also can't understand that you complain about Hobbs-Sutcliffe-Hutton being too defensive yet place Ken Barrington your lineup

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Captains decided on

Australia: Sir Don Bradman
West Indies: George Headley
South Africa: Graeme Smith
England: Sir Len Hutton
Pakistan: Imran Khan
India: Kapil Dev
New Zealand: Martin Crowe
Sri Lanka: Kumar Sangakkara ?
ROW: Frank Worrell
Surely Ranatunga is the SL captain from the XI you've picked. He doesn't deserve a spot, if you aren't going to make him captain.

I reckon we think in dichotomies too much with wicketkeepers. If they batted well, they must be **** with the gloves and vice versa.

Haha yep I agree.

I also can't understand that you complain about Hobbs-Sutcliffe-Hutton being too defensive yet place Ken Barrington your lineup
Yeah, that's what I couldn't work out. Thought KP was a chance of making kyear's XI.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Surely Ranatunga is the SL captain from the XI you've picked. He doesn't deserve a spot, if you aren't going to make him captain.

Haha yep I agree.

Yeah, that's what I couldn't work out. Thought KP was a chance of making kyear's XI.
Question mark next to Sangakkara meant that didn't have a clue. Just recalled that his batting avrage went up when he was captain. The selections are not absolute, rather starting points for discussion. Not that big on S.L. or N.Z. Cricket history.
As far as K.P goes he does make my XI over Barrington, those teams were partially based on teams selected and conversations by Forum members here. Not a fan of Barrington.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Asia XI

1. Sunil Gavaskar
2. Hanif Mohammad
3. Rahul Dravid
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Javed Miandad
6. Kumar Sangakkara+
7. Imran Khan*
8. Kapil Dev
9. Wasim Akram
10. Waqar Younis
11. Muttiah Muralitharan

Spooony

Banned
Captains decided on

Australia: Sir Don Bradman
West Indies: George Headley
South Africa: Graeme Smith
England: Sir Len Hutton
Pakistan: Imran Khan
India: Kapil Dev
New Zealand: Martin Crowe
Sri Lanka: Kumar Sangakkara ?
ROW: Frank Worrell
lol No Gary Kirsten in the SA lineup?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
If you can't play Hutton and Sutcliffe together because you don't want them at the crease at the same time, does this mean you didn't pick Dravid in your all-time Indian xi because you wouldn't want him batting with Gavaskar? (later edit... oh I see you did?)

If players can only be picked to play in their best positions, does this mean I can only pick one of Bradman, Ponting and Harvey in an all-time Aussie xi, since they all batted at 3?
Both very good points.

Agree.

Jager

International Debutant
Gary Kirsten doesn't even get close for me. Up against Richards, Mitchell and Smith for starters, Taylor's also there and ahead of him.