• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

retractable roofs

Andre

International Regular
Nah, they use massive heat lamps at all major grounds now, including Etihad stadium.
Oh right, didn't realise they'd done that now, they've not played cricket under the roof for nearly 10 years I reckon, and safety is why they stopped.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh right, didn't realise they'd done that now, they've not played cricket under the roof for nearly 10 years I reckon, and safety is why they stopped.
Yeah, I don't think it's feasible for many reasons really. But Etihad had a huge surface problem because of the lack of sunlight so they have the really big lamps which promote grass growth and dries the surface.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think it was needed last season, but they can. I can't recall if they close it during the innings break.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I don't think it's feasible for many reasons really. But Etihad had a huge surface problem because of the lack of sunlight so they have the really big lamps which promote grass growth and dries the surface.
My understanding is that the Dunedin stadium gets sunlight having a clear plastic roof.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't think cricket generates the income to justify retractable roofs. Only a few boards would be able to afford one, and the ROI wouldn't be worth it except in the most rain affected grounds.

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
I don't think cricket generates the income to justify retractable roofs. Only a few boards would be able to afford one, and the ROI wouldn't be worth it except in the most rain affected grounds.
Thats questionable. I mentioned the football stadium that got a retractable roof at a cost FORTY times less than the existing development plans for Lord´s.

Lancashire actually announced plans for a new covered ground a few years ago. Considering the sad cheap pathetic development of their existing ground which they eventually chose to do instead, they certainly have no money. They probably speculated that it would be more proftable to build a new ground with such a roof than without

The biggest and probably impossible problem would be fitting them onto many existing grounds. Its probably also a fair argument, made by someone earlier, that it isnt really needed for first class cricket. Its not like Wimbledon. people dont sit down and watch a 2-3 hour event in huge numbers but rather follow it on/off over days making rain less of an issue.

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
Edgbaston used to have the Brumbrella which covered the entire outfield, only trouble was it kept breaking down. I am sure that technology has moved on though and something could be done as it is bloody annyoing.
yes, I read about that. Apparently it was even banned in the end as the climate under it affected pitches. Still, it should be possible to do with better technology.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
There is nothing more frustrating than setting yourself to watch some cricket on TV for a few hours, you get the food and drinks organized, you turn it on and it's pissing rain at the ground....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It is similar to UK venues in some ways because of the capacity, but there's no way that roof was built without the fact it regularly hosts big concerts so the roof wasn't built for the sport.

Additionally, look at the shape of the stadium and you can easily see how a roof could be added.
There are no rectangular cricket stadia in England, and even then you'd need one with the stands all at the same height to make the costs so "cheap".

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
It is similar to UK venues in some ways because of the capacity, but there's no way that roof was built without the fact it regularly hosts big concerts so the roof wasn't built for the sport.

Additionally, look at the shape of the stadium and you can easily see how a roof could be added.
There are no rectangular cricket stadia in England, and even then you'd need one with the stands all at the same height to make the costs so "cheap".
you are right, it wasnt built for football but for concerts etc. but what has that got to do with anything. Thats an issue for danish football, its climate etc. The point here is the very low cost for a pretty big sliding roof.

Yep, the problem would be what existing structures the roof can be put on top of. Then again, those fixed structures this particualr roof rests on here werent designed to carry anything more than itself so it might not take more than a few columns and some sort of beam above.

I certainly didnt say it would be easy, just that its more of a technical challenge than simply a financial issue, especially for cricket where some of the cheaper solutions might actually be the best, as there would be no desire to play in winter, just to keep the summer rain out.

Dont forget just how much money is constantly lost. The edgbaston test alone probably cost english cricket more than £10 million all included. Thats one single game equalling the entire cost of of constructing the roof in my example.