• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What worth are rankings anymore?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, the thing about these ratings is that it shows how far ahead of the field England were that they could go to Pakistan and lose 3-0 and SA still needed a 3-0 win in NZ to go ahead of them.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
There's nothing wrong with the rankings. What's wrong is that people seem to think that to be number 1 you need to be as good as Australia of the early 00s or West Indies in the 80s.

Valer

First Class Debutant
There's nothing wrong with the rankings. What's wrong is that people seem to think that to be number 1 you need to be as good as Australia of the early 00s or West Indies in the 80s.
On rankings, the aus team between the 05 ashes and the 08 SA at home series were actually further ahead of the pack.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The 2 are incomparable - India have been abysmal with bat AND ball in both series.

England have been bowling in a manner befitting their status as world's best attack.
End result is the same, both teams are losing every single game they play in conditions they don't like. One loses every game in Asia, the other loses every game out of Asia.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
End result is the same, both teams are losing every single game they play in conditions they don't like. One loses every game in Asia, the other loses every game out of Asia.
At least one part of England's team isn't performing like a complete joke though.

Yes, I will clutch at any straws that are there to be clutched.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
100% of our batting lineup wasn't rubbish either:

That's 100% of our batting lineup, right?

Also, I will find any excuse to keep posting this image.

Last edited:

kingjulian

U19 12th Man
I don't think England's bowling is as good as the hype machine would have us believe...

It's just above average...

Spark

Global Moderator
tbh i think anderson could take his next 50 wickets at philander speed and he still wouldn't rate him

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah kingjulian England's bowling is awesome. There's no hype, they just consistently bowl teams out.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's pretty crazy. Swann's been tagged as underperforming over the last two tours despite averaging, what, 25 in the UAE?

Broad's averaging about 15 since the Lord's India Test and has been the victim of some appalling luck at times. Anderson's numbers aren't far off too.

That they keep losing is a testament to how staggeringly incompetent the rest of their team has been.

I mean they kept SL to about 500 runs in the Test. Generally speaking, on the subcontinent unless it's a serious turner (which this was nowhere near), you win much more of those than you lose... if you can bat.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If they caught they would have been able to keep SL to even less.

Really the bowlers (other than Monty) ought to take a metal pole and smash the **** out of the fielders and batsmen who let them down.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah but we've been saying that for about three months now. The 3rd Test was just taking the piss - bowl a side out from less than a hundred and you still get beaten comfortably.