• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official New Zealand Domestic Cricket 2011/2012 ***

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
radio commentator just said Rutherford scored a hundred-odd of his 200 runs yesterday with a broken arm

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Last edited:

vandem

International 12th Man
FMD. Can't believe your lot actually won. Such a **** team. Learn to bat you ****s.:ph34r:
Note that ND had equal-best number of batting points = 17!

They did rely on their NZ players when they were available / not injured:

Williamson, 1 game 284 runs not out (so no average)
Watling, 4 games, 345 runs, avge 86.25
Flynn, 5 games, 584 runs, avge 83.42

Total for these three: 1213 runs, avge 110.27

And that they also had a spinner who professionally closed out a 4th innings! (Vettori 5-69 at Rangiora)

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
But note that ND had equal-best number of batting points = 17.

They did rely on their NZ players when they were available / not injured:

Williamson, 1 game 284 runs not out (so no average)
Watling, 4 games, 345 runs, avge 86.25
Flynn, 5 games, 584 runs, avge 83.42

Total for these three: 1213 runs, avge 110.27
Back to being serious, I'm pretty surprised those scores outweigh the games where the NZ reps weren't playing. The rest, apart from Wilson, never do anything all season. ND are fortunate their bowling stocks are immense.

This post probably comes of as massive sour grapes, but when the most games a decent batsman plays for you is five, yet you still have equal number of batting points, something is weird.

But then again, I secretly rate Wellington as a good side, so there you go.

Howsie

International Captain
Back to being serious, I'm pretty surprised those scores outweigh the games where the NZ reps weren't playing. The rest, apart from Wilson, never do anything all season. ND are fortunate their bowling stocks are immense.
Wilson had a shocker of a summer tbf, he was outperformed by Joey Yovich this season. Infact he had the seventh best average for the season behind, Flynn, Watling, Hamish Marshall, Devcich, Yovich and McGlashan. Should've really been the season where he put his hand up for New Zealand selection. He'll be a long way off now.

As for our bowling stocks it'll be interesting to see who goes elsewhere for next season. Expecting a few of the fringe guys to go south next year.

Immenso

Watched more of the video highlights of the latest round (Auck v Canty is now uploaded). It looks to me like McClenaghan's wicket to dismiss Fulton is done with a comedy action, looks like a Lance Cairns (arms only, still bowling off correct foot).

Was pleased to see A de Boorder back in, but his two dismissals were of a guy in woeful form. Pushing in the air.

Immenso

The Plunket Shield can be a hard competition to review, because oft he 76 day gap and extremely different conditions at those different times.

Some of my takes on the more note-worthy individual bowling performances/developments from the younger guys this season;

Mitch McClenaghan has had a pretty remarkable return (from mediocrity to awesomeness) in both forms that he was selected in. Willb e interesting to see if he can back it up next year.

Willie Lonsdale had a breakthrough year. 30 odd wickets, looks sharp, haven't been able to make out if he does much with the ball in the air though from the video highlights.

Matt Henry. Had a great debut at the arse end of last season. This year he excelled in all 3 formats, seems to be able to step up. Judging by his batting in the Saffa match he has an unflustered temperament. I'm really interested in this guy, hope his back is not too serious.

Bevan Small. Also did well in multiple formats. Video highlights look promising, has bounce and movement/swing.

Kuggeleijn shows promise. 20 wickets at 38 is a steady haul. Started well but tailed off towards the end of the season. Perhaps a sign he needs more to his armoury than yorkers and bouncers. Decent pace, only turned 20 during the season.

I'd probably describe Milne's season as "consolidating". Still amazingly only 19 years old. At least an ankle injury doesn't sound as serious as back/knee etc. Only 3 Plunket Shield games in the first half of the season. But plenty of game time in the white ball formats. Not basing this on much evidence - but I would like to see him do more with the ball other than just pace.

Boult is above this category now. While Wagner keeps hauling in wickets, a timely return to form though in the last round of the season.

I don't know a great deal about spin bowling., But the Plunket Shield has 60% of it's season in late summer/Autumn and the spinners are very important to their teams (despite the NZ sterotype).

I'm interested in both Astle & Nethula. Yet have feelings of both 'they're leggies - get them in there' as well as 'they're leggies, which are rare in NZ, therefore may be over-rated'.

If Astle taking 31 wickets at 38 is considered slightly disappointing, then I think it's good he's set high standards. At the very least a good consolidating year for him, 31 wickets is a good haul.

Nethula benefited from being in better form early in the season and from playing across all formats. Definitely a big year for him get international exposure, 24 wickets at 30 in the shield.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
Kuggeleijn shows promise. 20 wickets at 38 is a steady haul. Started well but tailed off towards the end of the season. Perhaps a sign he needs more to his armoury than yorkers and bouncers. Decent pace, only turned 20 during the season.
He's pretty raw for a quick bowler, he only started bowling when he was 17. Obviously has plenty abiltiy however with his genuine raw pace. Work in progress but 20 wickets @ 38 is much better then I thought he'd muster.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Watched more of the video highlights of the latest round (Auck v Canty is now uploaded). It looks to me like McClenaghan's wicket to dismiss Fulton is done with a comedy action, looks like a Lance Cairns (arms only, still bowling off correct foot).
Nice spotting by Immenso. Mitch_M's completely unsubtle outswing variation -
http://nzcpooch.blob.core.windows.net/7f1ca30f-d34a-4543-b31f-8b6318e29569/2_088_05.mp4

Tom Latham should be playing for the Stags if he wants to reach his all-round potential, btw. :ph34r:
http://nzcpooch.blob.core.windows.net/7f1ca30f-d34a-4543-b31f-8b6318e29569/3_043_06.mp4

Flem274*

123/5
:laugh:that bouncer!

Just watching someone periscoping it to Bevan Small. Straight up in the air and caught.

Josh Brodie looks the goods. Smoking Astle like there's no tomorrow.

Not sure what to think on Murdoch. Has the numbers, refuses to get out and in the end it took a good delivery from Finn to finally get rid of him in the video I just watched. Plays very, very straight as well and I love his drives down the ground. His footwork makes me wonder though.

Downloaded Matt Henry's 4/40 tonight so will get that up at some point. Got slogged by someone with a very vicious hook and pull in the end, who I presume is BJ Barnett.