• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
The fourth seamer doesn't change how the first three seamers bowl in their first spell.
Does actually. Perhaps means less in the very first spell but certainly has a huge impact on the whole bowling performance. With another bowler as soon as one of the seamers begins to struggle, or if it's just not their day, Taylor can make a change. So instead of a few overs that are sub-par at the end of every spell that let the batsmen off the hook, we can maintain any pressure built. Means fewer overs for defensive Vettori and no overs for pressure-release Brownlie. Means less overs for each bowler into the wind and therefore should mean more their spells are more intense.

Not to mention that Boult in his own right has some genuine skills of his own and is different to our other bowlers - perhaps conditions would suit him more than anyone else.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Urgh, I know he isn't even in the side as a wicket taker at all, and hating his bowling is becoming the new in thing, but it's getting to the point where I don't count Vettori as a main bowler anymore. I'm starting to see this as a three man attack.
The irony is that although he prefers playing Test cricket, his withdrawal from ODI's & T20's is a far bigger loss to NZ than if it had been the other way around.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Urgh, I know he isn't even in the side as a wicket taker at all, and hating his bowling is becoming the new in thing, but it's getting to the point where I don't count Vettori as a main bowler anymore. I'm starting to see this as a three man attack.
The irony is that although he prefers playing Test cricket, his withdrawal from ODI's & T20's is a far bigger loss to NZ than if it had been the other way around.
Yeah, agree with both of the above.

Mike5181

International Captain
Does actually. Perhaps means less in the very first spell but certainly has a huge impact on the whole bowling performance. With another bowler as soon as one of the seamers begins to struggle, or if it's just not their day, Taylor can make a change. So instead of a few overs that are sub-par at the end of every spell that let the batsmen off the hook, we can maintain any pressure built. Means fewer overs for defensive Vettori and no overs for pressure-release Brownlie. Means less overs for each bowler into the wind and therefore should mean more their spells are more intense.

Not to mention that Boult in his own right has some genuine skills of his own and is different to our other bowlers - perhaps conditions would suit him more than anyone else.
Just like Brent Arnel as the fourth seamer in the second test maintained the pressure in the going at six an over? Arnel had nothing to do with Gillespie taking 5/59 or Martin taking 2/39. They just haven't bowled as well.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Iain O'Brien commentating on the radio. Having a bowler like him out there would be perfect.

Appeal turned down. Sad face.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Just like Brent Arnel as the fourth seamer in the second test maintained the pressure in the second test going at six an over? Arnel had nothing to do with Gillespie taking 5/59 or Martin taking 2/39. They just haven't bowled as well.
It won't always be the same bowlers bowling well on any given day though. The extra bowler gives you an extra bite at the cherry. And Arnel's presence in the side still meant the others knew they could bowl shorter, more attacking spells and wouldn't have to drop back into a holding pattern as soon as a batsman is set.

Also Boult is better than Arnel.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Iain O'Brien commentating on the radio. Having a bowler like him out there would be perfect.

Appeal turned down. Sad face.
I wonder if Amla learned that shot on 21 yesterday from O'Brien :happy:

Jacob Oram would be perfect answer to our side's balance problems. Back when he could bat of course.

Flem274*

123/5
Just out of reach.:(

Bowling getting better now.

Oh **** off Duminy. Such a **** way to bring up the half century. /flounce

Flem274*

123/5
I wonder if Amla learned that shot on 21 yesterday from O'Brien :happy:

Jacob Oram would be perfect answer to our side's balance problems. Back when he could bat of course.
Yeah we really need an allrounder who can bat at six.

I can't possibly think of an established test player who should be there:sleep:

edit: though ideally they would be a pace bowler like Oram, since our frustrations with the number eight position could then be fixed with Vettori and van Wyk.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
It won't always be the same bowlers bowling well on any given day though. The extra bowler gives you an extra bite at the cherry. And Arnel's presence in the side still meant the others knew they could bowl shorter, more attacking spells and wouldn't have to drop back into a holding pattern as soon as a batsman is set.

Also Boult is better than Arnel.
Genuine question - atm how many countries play 5 bowlers (where none of those bowlers is a top 5 batsman)

Flem274*

123/5
Genuine question - atm how many countries play 5 bowlers (where none of those bowlers is a top 5 batsman)
England float it every so often lately.

But the whole point of having a genuine allrounder is they can bat in the top six and bowl. We have a batting allrounder who everyone thinks is a bowling allrounder.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Saying that Vettori will probably be New Zealand's leading wicket taker in the West Indies.

Williamson into the attack...

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
England float it every so often lately.

But the whole point of having a genuine allrounder is they can bat in the top six and bowl. We have a batting allrounder who everyone thinks is a bowling allrounder.
Exactly sums up the problem. Also that all our bowlers suck at batting.

Flem274*

123/5
Exactly sums up the problem. Also that all our bowlers suck at batting.
I would go as far to say that if Vettori can't hold a place batting in the top six (which he can and will if given the chance - he's a ****ing awesome batsman) then he shouldn't play.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
He may never amount to much but I love JP
Indeed but you just know he will be owned in England in the summer. If one of the quicks doesn't get him into trouble with the bouncer, Swann will take him out. Rudolph's place will now be in doubt but I think he would fair better in England than JP.