• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New/uncommon statistics you'd like to see brought into cricket

G.I.Joe

International Coach
An average of the # a player is picked in all drafts on officially recognised forums would be a useful indicator of their relative standing as a cricketer.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
An average of the # a player is picked in all drafts on officially recognised forums would be a useful indicator of their relative standing as a cricketer.
I'd start drafts just to vote Cheema as #1

Uppercut

First chance average. Every time it comes up I think of another reason why it's so dire.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Like some of the stats Benchy has proposed, especially the the fluency of the batsman at scoring runs. Median average also sounds pretty good, since it won't be affected by the extreme values.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Pitch-based statistics (dampness, cohesiveness), though how you measure them is beyond my imagination. Something like those EA Sports games. But I think they'd be helpful while looking at a player's stats.

Weather-based statistics: Kind of ties in with the above.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
From a bowling perspective it'd be nice to see how many balls they actually make the batsman play at.

A test ER of 2.5 might look impressive, but if a bowler's only making a batsman play three times an over he's wasting a lot of balls and energy.

Batting-wise an interesting stat might be false strokes played. It's probably always going to be a slightly subjective call as to what constitutes one, but it might give some idea of how controlled an innings has been. By counting those plays and misses, the edges that don't carry and the Chinese cuts down to third man for four it could also establish if some batsmen actually are jammier than others.

Uppercut

Like some of the stats Benchy has proposed, especially the the fluency of the batsman at scoring runs. Median average also sounds pretty good, since it won't be affected by the extreme values.
Hmm, but what's the benefit of reducing the impact of the extreme values? Conventional cricketing wisdom would suggest that a mix of big scores and failures is actually better than a lot of middling scores.

Either way it's probably better to just include a standard deviation with the average.

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
A career pitch map for bowlers? Like a graph or a grid showing where a bowler has landed his deliveries in percentages.

Career extras conceded by a bowler.

Miles run by a batsman over his career between the wickets should be easy enough to do.

Career runs scored during fielding restrictions for batsmen/runs conceded and wickets taken by bowlers under the same conditions.

Uppercut

Runs/dismissals for different shots would be fascinating. I'd love to empirically test my pathological hatred of the cover drive.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
There are some stats (Help please from one of our stats people is this kurtosis) that talk about the degree of skewness to a distribution of data. So that would be interesting to a batsman's scores. All scores should be skewed to the right with a bunch of scores below 20 and then less scores after that. But some batsman might score more consistently in the 30s and 40s - while others might oscillate between scoring 5 and 85. A skewness indicator would show this.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Meh.

Runs per dismissal, for batsmen and for bowlers. Tediously under-rated by sneery "I'm too good for stats" merchants.

Even though it never tells the whole story a batting average or bowling average will almost always tell you far more than any other stat. Because cricket is about scoring more runs than the opposition, and averages go to the heart of the matter for both bowlers and batsmen.

FBU

International Debutant
No balls bowled in career e.g. Lee 76 Tests 580 no balls
Catches dropped off a bowler.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
^LOL -

Number of times left the field to go to the washroom during their career.

"Yes Border is really an iron man he only went to the washroom twice during play during his career and this is despite touring India twice".

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Pitch map for bowlers would tell us how wayward the bowler was. Would be interesting.
I'm sure the McGrath pitch map would only look like it had one dot on it. And Johnson's would have every inch of the cut strip covered (and then some).

benchmark00

Hmm, but what's the benefit of reducing the impact of the extreme values? Conventional cricketing wisdom would suggest that a mix of big scores and failures is actually better than a lot of middling scores.

Either way it's probably better to just include a standard deviation with the average.
Ummm because it shows how consistent the batsmen is?

Surely that is obvious. Not sure how someone can possibly not see that.