• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Give Laxman and Dravid one "retirement" test whenever our next test series comes around as a friendly gesture, after that both get the axe.

Dravid has serious technical issues and Laxman's drive is gone, doesn't look one bit interested.

adub

International Captain
No chance. Australia and every other cricket team have known about the 'corridor of uncertainty' for donkeys years. Bowling in the right areas, attacking the stumps etc.

Also, there were obviously plans. You actually think Australia just forgot to make plans after 2007/2008?

The difference is simple. They got rid of MJ and brought in Pattinson/Harris/Cummins. A 3 man pace attack can't function if you rely on a 'matchwinner' who wins a match every other year.
Of course Johnson not being there is a massive bonus. You won't hear me defending that ****.

But yes we did actually forget about a proper plan. For three years I've been yelling at Siddle through the TV to pitch it up and get it outside off. He's had this crazy idea that it was a good idea to bowl short into the hip constantly. Every now and again he's pitch it up and get a bag full, then back to the crap. Hilfenhaus similarly was bowling too short and too wide. Only Harris and to a lesser extent Dougy could actually bowl a consistent attacking line and length that put pressure on the batsmen which explains why they had significantly better results.

If it was inability to execute a plan, or simply a stupid plan I don't know, but McDermott has transformed our bowling. I do believe it is McDermott too as you can see that all the things he was talking about are actually being implemented. I suspect Clark has also made a big contribution here in setting better fields and using his bowlers smarter. Also the fact that Hilf and Siddle are now transformed players makes me suspect it wasn't so much the players (bar MJ) but the planning and strategies employed. Even Pattinson in the tests is a different guy to what he was doing in the Shield where the old back of a length idea that he was being asked to employ reduced his effectiveness. Billy got him to pitch it up and he discovered swing.

I'm happy for Punter to pick up an AO, but Billy McDermott should have got an AC for what he's done for our bowling.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I quite like NUFAN's theory that some of the improvement can be put down to Johnson not being there to destroy the ball for everyone else.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Of course Johnson not being there is a massive bonus. You won't hear me defending that ****.

But yes we did actually forget about a proper plan. For three years I've been yelling at Siddle through the TV to pitch it up and get it outside off. He's had this crazy idea that it was a good idea to bowl short into the hip constantly. Every now and again he's pitch it up and get a bag full, then back to the crap. Hilfenhaus similarly was bowling too short and too wide. Only Harris and to a lesser extent Dougy could actually bowl a consistent attacking line and length that put pressure on the batsmen which explains why they had significantly better results.

If it was inability to execute a plan, or simply a stupid plan I don't know, but McDermott has transformed our bowling. I do believe it is McDermott too as you can see that all the things he was talking about are actually being implemented. I suspect Clark has also made a big contribution here in setting better fields and using his bowlers smarter. Also the fact that Hilf and Siddle are now transformed players makes me suspect it wasn't so much the players (bar MJ) but the planning and strategies employed. Even Pattinson in the tests is a different guy to what he was doing in the Shield where the old back of a length idea that he was being asked to employ reduced his effectiveness. Billy got him to pitch it up and he discovered swing.

I'm happy for Punter to pick up an AO, but Billy McDermott should have got an AC for what he's done for our bowling.
Yeah, who'd have thought a bloke with 300 Test wickets would know more about knocking over Test batters than a bloke who couldn't even command a regular spot with Tassie?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
johnson has 200 test wickets and I would back Adam Maher to know more about knocking over test batters

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, who'd have thought a bloke with 300 Test wickets would know more about knocking over Test batters than a bloke who couldn't even command a regular spot with Tassie?
What I like about McDermott is that he seems to have gone into the group, told everyone that what they've learned so far is a pile of crap and successfully got them to buy into his methods in such a short amount of time.

adub

International Captain
Controversial opinion: Wouldn't enforce the follow on
Neither would I. Give your bowlers a rest and don't run the (admittedly microscopic) risk of having nasty 5th day chase. Unless something really strange happens we'll still win it in 4 days after having a few hours bat.