• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Teenage openers!!

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Just looking at how Kraigg Brathwaite has started his career for WI, three 50s in his last four tests at the age of 18 (just turned 19 now), and all away from home, i'm just wondering how many openers who debuted in their teens went on to be greats? and are there any who had a better start than Kraigg has had?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Just looking at how Kraigg Brathwaite has started his career for WI, three 50s in his last four tests at the age of 18 (just turned 19 now), and all away from home, i'm just wondering how many openers who debuted in their teens went on to be greats? and are there any who had a better start than Kraigg has had?
Hanif Mohammad is the only really notable name to play a few innings as an opening teenager. Did about as poorly as Braithwaite. So did Tamim.

Sobers played 3 innings as a teenage opener though, you could hold on to that candle.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Hanif Mohammad is the only really notable name to play a few innings as an opening teenager. Did about as poorly as Braithwaite. So did Tamim.

Sobers played 3 innings as a teenage opener though, you could hold on to that candle.
"Poorly"? :huh: so what should an 18 year old opener be doing AWAY in India then? hitting tons? :laugh: i think it speaks volumes that in the long history of cricket not many openers have debuted in their teens and done well, we're hopeful that Kraigg will change that trend.

Athlai

Not Terrible
"Poorly"? :huh: so what should an 18 year old opener be doing AWAY in India then? hitting tons? :laugh: i think it speaks volumes that in the long history of cricket not many openers have debuted in their teens and done well, we're hopeful that Kraigg will change that trend.
Being good for an 18 year old does not mean that you are good for a Test bat. Which he hasn't been yet.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Being good for an 18 year old does not mean that you are good for a Test bat. Which he hasn't been yet.
My issue is the notion that he done "poorly", imo he done as well as any teenager who is just starting his career could have, of course it's early days but his mental strength is probably already up there with Shiv's, the boy knows how to look after his wicket, and if you've got that in your make-up then with experience runs are bound to come,

He got three 50s in four tests and the annoying thing is he was robbed at least twice by umpire decisions, so he could have very well gone on to get his maiden ton but for that.

And just a note off topic, WI vs NZ next year!!.. i hope you're ready for it!!..i can't wait!! :laugh: ,

Athlai

Not Terrible
My issue is the notion that he done "poorly", imo he done as well as any teenager who is just starting his career could have, of course it's early days but his mental strength is probably already up there with Shiv's, the boy knows how to look after his wicket, and if you've got that in your make-up then with experience runs are bound to come,

He got three 50s in four tests and the annoying thing is he was robbed at least twice by umpire decisions, so he could have very well gone on to get his maiden ton but for that.

And just a note off topic, WI vs NZ next year!!.. i hope you're ready for it!!..i can't wait!! :laugh: ,
He did great for a kid sure but he did poorly for any Test batsman, and West Indies should be picking their team on their best Test bats not on kids who may come good in a few years time.

Yep WI vs. NZ will be quality. Hopefully both teams are fully fit for it and the Gayle fiasco is fixed.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
He did great for a kid sure but he did poorly for any Test batsman, and West Indies should be picking their team on their best Test bats not on kids who may come good in a few years time.

Yep WI vs. NZ will be quality. Hopefully both teams are fully fit for it and the Gayle fiasco is fixed.
Well i guess it depends what test batsmen you're comparing him to, because in the test series he only scored one run less than Gambir!!, imo a player should be judged on their age and experience aswell as their performance, holding Kraigg at the same standard as a Sehwag isn't fair because both are at different stages of their careers, for me getting three 50s in four tests is decent enough, "poor" is doing what Hughes did in the recent tests vs NZ i think, and yet he's got tons to his name against SA,

As for Gayle, he's done!!..can't see him coming back at all, and although people love to blame the board the fact is Gayle cares more about getting paid big bucks in the T20s than playing for WI right now, which is why Brathwaite and Barath are being put together so they can build a partnership for now and the future,

Anyway you think your lot has a chance in the Caribbean? personally i don't think so, but i guess we'll have to wait and see!! :D .

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well i guess it depends what test batsmen you're comparing him to, because in the test series he only scored one run less than Gambir!!, imo a player should be judged on their age and experience aswell as their performance, holding Kraigg at the same standard as a Sehwag isn't fair because both are at different stages of their careers, for me getting three 50s in four tests is decent enough, "poor" is doing what Hughes did in the recent tests vs NZ i think, and yet he's got tons to his name against SA,

As for Gayle, he's done!!..can't see him coming back at all, and although people love to blame the board the fact is Gayle cares more about getting paid big bucks in the T20s than playing for WI right now, which is why Brathwaite and Barath are being put together so they can build a partnership for now and the future,

Anyway you think your lot has a chance in the Caribbean? personally i don't think so, but i guess we'll have to wait and see!! :D .
We'll thrash your sorry lot tbh.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Sorry, there will be no bowlers paradise for your powderpuff attack in the Caribbean my friend!!..we're not the Aussies!! :laugh: .

One dayers could be even, Tests i think we'll run away with it.
I can see Ryder enjoying West Indies batting conditions in a similar way to he enjoys most flat tracks. You reckon Taylor will be fit?

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I can see Ryder enjoying West Indies batting conditions in a similar way to he enjoys most flat tracks. You reckon Taylor will be fit?
Yeah some of your batters could do well, Ryder and Taylor being two i'd have concerns about but i'm not sure the top three will be a problem, especially with how Rampaul is performing with the new ball,

Jerome Taylor is just a sad story, he came back from injury in the last four day season early this year, played about three games and then pulled up again with an injury, we never heard a word about him until he was spotted playing in the IPL :@ , since then he hasn't played a single game for jamaica, and is due to miss the next t20 competition in January, so he's another one who could be done aswell,

Right now we're more focussed on the youngsters coming up like Carlos Brathwaite, Jason Holder, Andre Russell, Shannon Gabriel, Nelon Pascal etc, Taylor might have a chance though if he manages to complete the next four day competition which starts in Febuary.

It's strange how we haven't played NZ since 2008 though, most of your team from then are still playing today while ours has completely changed, for the better i hope.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
^Bring back Xavier from that team. He looked very stylish on his way to 15 clean bowled or some such score.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
^Bring back Xavier from that team. He looked very stylish on his way to 15 clean bowled or some such score.
What do you think of the series coming up next year Hurricane? think your boys have a chance? :D

The way i see it if an in form Pakistan couldn't win the series in the Caribbean then NZ are gonna have their work cut out.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I think you guys are favourites at home.

But I think both teams have some relatively untested players in their sides. I think the series will be determined by who's young guns do the best.

Should be a cracker of a series and look forward to posting with you during it.

Cheers