• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Typical. An Aussie woman wins a Grand Slam just at the time when the AUD is at about $1.07 USD.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What relevance does that have? :/
Because he acts like Fed doesn't do the same, and never acknowledges when Fed does stuff like SBI referred to.

Just listened to Fed's presser after SBI referred to it earlier.

US Open 2011: Roger Federer struggles to accept Novak Djokovic defeat | Sport | guardian.co.uk

There followed a string of excuses and justifications which not only were barely sustainable given the evidence but seriously disrespected the winner.

Asked about the quite remarkable forehand winner Djokovic hit to save match point, Federer reckoned the Serb did not look at that point like someone "who believes much anymore in winning. To lose against someone like that, it's very disappointing, because you feel like he was mentally out of it already. Just gets the lucky shot at the end, and off you go."

Djokovic was honest enough to admit the shot was a gamble – but Federer was reluctant to give him credit even for that courage in a crisis, preferring to regard it as desperate.

"Confidence? Are you kidding me?" he said when it was put to him the cross-court forehand off his first serve – described by John McEnroe as "one of the all-time great shots" – was either a function of luck or confidence.

"I mean, please. Some players grow up and play like that – being down 5-2 in the third, and they all just start slapping shots. I never played that way. I believe hard work's going to pay off, because early on maybe I didn't always work at my hardest. For me, this is very hard to understand. How can you play a shot like that on match point? Maybe he's been doing it for 20 years, so for him it was very normal. You've got to ask him.""

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
And your hate on Roger excuses Serna how?
Where did I ever excuse Serena? Sprayed her in 09, sprayed her this year when she acted like a tool. Sprayed her when she said Sam "framed" her way to victory as well a couple of years ago.

Just pointed out Burgey's inconsistency.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You've always hated him :p

Djokovic's reply to what Federer said was the best:

Djokovic was in a more relaxed mood. "Yeah, I tend to do that on match points," he said, reminded that it was exactly what he did to Federer last year. "It kinda works."

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Just read someone mention this... doesn't Williams have a suspended sentence from 2009 over her head? Two season sentence?

Could she be in trouble?
Hope so, I read on the BBC that her previous offence actually could've ended up with a lifetime ban from Grand Slams - bet they don't have the balls to follow it up though.

Redbacks

International Captain
Disposur!!!

Great win.

ps. to the US Sky news correspondent who questioned whether the final would be over in an hour after a walkover....:D

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
wow! never thought that was possible...well done stosur!

on another note, would wozniacki go on to have the longest tenure at no: 1 without ever sniffing a slam? although with serena's outburst and possible suspension, venu's syndrome thingy, clijsters' semi retirement, sharapova's serving woes and the general inconsistency of the rest of the field...things are looking up for her...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Hope so, I read on the BBC that her previous offence actually could've ended up with a lifetime ban from Grand Slams - bet they don't have the balls to follow it up though.
i will be very surprised if they hand her a lifetime ban...and think of what could happen if she is banned, wozniacki might finally win a major and "legitimize" her no: 1 ranking....:-O

shivfan

Banned
Just read someone mention this... doesn't Williams have a suspended sentence from 2009 over her head? Two season sentence?

Could she be in trouble?
In trouble for what? Having an argument with an umpire? Players have that all the time....

Or are we suggesting that players like Serena are not allowed to question the umpire, while 'others' are?

I can't believe the rubbish I read on this messageboard....
:laugh:
I guess that Serena's success in tennis has upset so many posters that they're begging and pleading for the authorities to ban her, just so that some under-achievers can actually have a chance of winning a Slam.