• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

howardj

International Coach
I'm still quite amazed with the turn around by the Eagles this season. They have managed to go from useless in Melbourne to now beating good teams away and performing strongly at home, as they have done historically. It's taken a few years post the Cousins saga, but it appears the club is back to its usual self.
Yeah, the club is a powerhouse. Further, on Saturday they were without NicNat, Kerr and Kennedy. I reckon they have a real X factor about them; something that you need to beat the likes of Geelong and Collingwood. It's probably a year too early for them, but I certainly think their window is open. They need to strike while both their veterans, Kerr and Cox, are still playing (so, next two years).

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Scored 2509 in a week with three teams having the bye. :cry:
Yeah 2,470. Amazing considering I was in real danger of fielding a zero. Although Lynch and Richardson may as well...Week had a real chance of wrecking my chances of breaking into the top 10.000 but I actually gained. Just gotta keep my 2 trades in hand.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, the club is a powerhouse. Further, on Saturday they were without NicNat, Kerr and Kennedy. I reckon they have a real X factor about them; something that you need to beat the likes of Geelong and Collingwood. It's probably a year too early for them, but I certainly think their window is open. They need to strike while both their veterans, Kerr and Cox, are still playing (so, next two years).
Against a bottom eight side without Cooney, Higgins, Lake and Morris. Let's not go overboard.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
West Coast's game style won't hold up to finals football. With the exception of Hawthorn a few years back, teams which play a zone style of football get found out in September because finals football is far more contested and one on one. The reason why it worked for Hawthorn was because it was so new. It's possible West Coast will win a finals match at home, but will not challenge the real contenders IMO.

howardj

International Coach
I can confirm that Luke Darcy and Brian Taylor have been signed by Channel 7 for next year. And also Bruce McV and Dennis Commetti have re-signed for another five years. Do you know that Commetti's current contract is $850 000 per year! Goodness me. Worth every cent though, I think he's a fantastic sport's broadcaster. Turn the TV down and try to call a game yourself...it's bloody hard.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
West Coast's game style won't hold up to finals football. With the exception of Hawthorn a few years back, teams which play a zone style of football get found out in September because finals football is far more contested and one on one. The reason why it worked for Hawthorn was because it was so new. It's possible West Coast will win a finals match at home, but will not challenge the real contenders IMO.
I suspect they are also one good key defender short, too. Glass is quality, but McKenzie and Schofield are pretty ordinary and short respectively.

EDIT: Schofield is actually quite tall. Not sold on him being a KPP, though.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
I suspect they are also one good key defender short, too. Glass is quality, but McKenzie and Schofield are pretty ordinary and short respectively.

EDIT: Schofield is actually quite tall. Not sold on him being a KPP, though.
Jeez that's harsh on both of them, been excellent this year. Plus there's Mitch Brown in the WAFL, but you'd be right to question whether he'd ever make it.

You'll be happy to hand Lake over I take it?

Re: Davis, I wonder what this means for a Brisbane-type situation developing where they lose Davis now and Walker elects to move on at the end of the year. If nothing else I think it highlights that Craig was there far too long if the latest in a line of walkouts includes a locally recruited high draft pick. Dreadful list management.

Redbacks

International Captain
I think the rules are such that only one player from each club could be taken on a free by the GWS and GC. In that case the Crows would have to agree to a trade for Walker to GWS now the Davis has gone. Or he could walk out and go to the pre-season draft (I gather GWS probably have the first 35 picks in that too). But the Crows could certainly at least get fair compensation for Walker rather than pick 13 in a weakened draft.

Redbacks

International Captain
I can confirm that Luke Darcy and Brian Taylor have been signed by Channel 7 for next year. And also Bruce McV and Dennis Commetti have re-signed for another five years. Do you know that Commetti's current contract is $850 000 per year! Goodness me. Worth every cent though, I think he's a fantastic sport's broadcaster. Turn the TV down and try to call a game yourself...it's bloody hard.
Not bad for 7 to keep Dennis and Bruce. Darcy is ok I guess but Brian Taylor has to be one of the poorer commentators in football. He gets away with lack of research so often on fox and MMM because they sell a funny product as well as the game, and his bravado mixed with the witty talents of a JB is often quite humorous. C7 tend to be more about the purity of the game, so other than a whole lot of magpie love, what does BT bring to the game for C7 viewers...?

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Round 20 Fixtures

St Kilda vs. Fremantle (Docklands)
Carlton vs. Melbourne (MCG)
Geelong vs. Gold Coast (Kardinia Park)
Essendon vs. Sydney (Docklands)
Port Adelaide vs. Collingwood (Football Park)
Brisbane Lions vs. Adelaide (The Gabba)
Hawthorn vs. North Melbourne (York Park)
West Coast vs. Richmond (Subiaco Oval)

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the rules are such that only one player from each club could be taken on a free by the GWS and GC. In that case the Crows would have to agree to a trade for Walker to GWS now the Davis has gone. Or he could walk out and go to the pre-season draft (I gather GWS probably have the first 35 picks in that too). But the Crows could certainly at least get fair compensation for Walker rather than pick 13 in a weakened draft.
Yeah you're right but if he wants to go it'll happen a la Brennan. They would've been better off losing Walker because he wouldn't command that much, whereas Davis would've gone for quite a lot in a trade. As it is, I wouldn't count on the compensation being much to write home about.