• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

To celebrate the creation of the sub-forum - Who should be India's #6 for the series?

Who should be India's #6 for the test series?

• Total voters

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can anyone link me to a video of said ball?
IIRC it was very similar to this, except Pujara was LBW

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s93XgGOIyUQ]YouTube - ‪Dale Steyn bowls Harbhajan Singh.... Sort of.‬‏[/URL]

Steyn to Pujara, OUT, That's Shane Warne at 134 kph! That's the end of Pujara. You need a huge dose of luck if you want to survive these. Pujara didn't have it. Steyn gets the away movement going again, this time from leg stump. It landed on a length and opened Pujara up as he desperately tried to cover the line. It defeated his prod and thudded into the back pad in front of middle. What. A. Ball.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Might not be popular, but surely in light of his performances in the Carribean India's number 6 simply has to be Suresh Raina?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Been over this in the other threads ,personally i don't see Raina doing too well in England.

Pujara would be my choice .

Cruxdude

International Debutant
It would be a travesty dropping Raina after his performance in this series considering the conditions have not been the typical low, slow WI pitches. He should be the number 6 and if he fails in the first 2 tests, the next practice match can be used as an audition.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Been over this in the other threads ,personally i don't see Raina doing too well in England.

True, but you can't possibly pick the team along those lines. Of all the potential options for number 6 who have played in the last year or so (Badrinath, Yuvraj, Raina, Pujara, Kohli) Raina is the only one who's actually done anything at Test level.

Rush

Banned

Why do you think Raina won't do too well? He's played well in his three innings so far, and the pitches aren't the most batsman friendly and his last two dismissals have been...contentious :ph34r: to say the least

Teja.

Global Moderator
Lolwut. You'd think a young gun scoring runs in conditions where almost everyone is failing would be rated more. He can't play a text book pull shot which'd look good in a coffee book though and hence he deserves to be dropped.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I'd play Raina in the first test even if he scores 1(34) and 0(27) in the practice game, ftr.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Why do you think Raina won't do too well? He's played well in his three innings so far, and the pitches aren't the most batsman friendly and his last two dismissals have been...contentious :ph34r: to say the least
The pitch in the first test was one in which i expected Raina to do well. Slowish ,Spinning ,Uneven Bounce against this West Indian innings.

Have to say his 50 in this match though is progress but still he has a weakness on such bouncy and seaming pitches. And it will swing too in England and can see Tremlett getting him early as Morkel did.

While Pujara tore it apart on the India A tour to England last year and before injuries is the incumbent.

Lolwut. You'd think a young gun scoring runs in conditions where almost everyone is failing would be rated more. He can't play a text book pull shot which'd look good in a coffee book though and hence he deserves to be dropped.
How he looks or not has got nothing to do with it,ftr

I have been one of the biggest defenders of Gambhir on here.

Last edited:

Rush

Banned
The pitch in the first test was one in which i expected Raina to do well. Slowish ,Spinning ,Uneven Bounce against this West Indian innings.

Have to say his 50 in this match though is progress but still he has a weakness on such pitches.

While Pujara tore it apart on the India A tour to England last year and before injuries is the incumbent.

I have been one of the biggest defenders of Gambhir one here.
Which bowlers were in the Lions squad last year?

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Have to say his 50 in this match though is progress but still he has a weakness on such bouncy and seaming pitches. And it will swing too in England and can see Tremlett getting him early as Morkel did.

I have been one of the biggest defenders of Gambhir on here.
Performances in Tests are far more important than in A tours.

Raina has earned the right to potentially fail in England, he's scored runs at Test level which is more than anyone else fighting for his spot has done.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, you made that point before but still got to remember it is only 2 innings right now and Pujara is the incumbent out with Injury.

I expected Raina to do well in the West Indies and if you look it up mentioned it a few times at the start of the series that i was a bit worried that he would perform well in the West Indies and get selected for England series and not do too well except on flattish wickets there.

And it is going till now as predicted till now.

Personally i would go for Pujara, i am not saying that the selectors will.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yes, you made that point before but still got to remember it is only 2 innings right now and Pujara is the incumbent out with Injury.

I expected Raina to do well in the West Indies and if you look it up mentioned it a few times at the start of the series that i was a bit worried that he would perform well in the West Indies and get selected for England series and not do too well except on flattish wickets there.

And it is going till now as predicted till now.

Personally i would go for Pujara, i am not saying that the selectors will.
Incumbency means squat if you get injured as far as I'm concerned.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Which bowlers were in the Lions squad last year?
The one-day games are here. They lost to England Lions, but England were playing a few more straight 2nd XI players rather than a development squad.

Pujara was the top scorer of all 3 teams and had a strike rate of 95.
Here is the tour homepage -
India A tour of England and Scotland 2010 | Cricket news, live scores, fixtures, features and statistics on ESPN Cricinfo

Plunkett ,Shahzad , Andre Russell ,Woakes ,Mahmood,Leo Baker,Best all were involved .

Pujara averaged a 111 combined in OD and FC cricket in 10 matches.

While he aveaged 161 in 3 FC matches plus on top of that did well in some unofficial tour matches too which were not FC or List A.