• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricileaks - WICB Exposé

shivfan

Banned
If only!
:laugh:
No, but every time this site puts up a new article, it's discussed in great detail on caribbeancricket.com....

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
What Andy Roberts said was pretty good on cricinfo i though.

I've always felt some players spend too much time doing weights and not enough batting and bowling.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
If only!
:laugh:
No, but every time this site puts up a new article, it's discussed in great detail on caribbeancricket.com....
i sometimes venture for a read on those forums. it's hard to follow because there are so many regional arguments

hang on

State Vice-Captain
u are a journo, though, right, shivfan? for some reason, i've been labouring under that (mis?)apprehension.

of course, u needn't answer if u feel it is an intrusive question.

regarding the weights point, gotspin, actually i had been surprised to hear that the windies bowlers of the 70s and 80s did quite a bit of weight training; i was sure that it was all running and bowling but apparently not, according to holding. he mentioned it during one of his commentary stints...think it was when england were in the caribbean...a couple of years ago.

perhaps it's a question of degree and balance?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
What Andy Roberts said was pretty good on cricinfo i though.

I've always felt some players spend too much time doing weights and not enough batting and bowling.
I don't know - I mean having a higher level of fitness can never hurt you and doing weights will improve a whole lot of things, from making your body resistant to injury to giving your more power/explosiveness in all facets of the game. Just purely for injury prevention, working out can help ease the workload (you can of course overtrain and make it worse, but these guys have full time trainers who manage such things to make sure there isn't overtraining and players stay near their peaks). Obviously your main focus should still be your trade but we're in the fully professional era where you don't generally have to make that choice - you have time to do both.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know - I mean having a higher level of fitness can never hurt you and doing weights will improve a whole lot of things, from making your body resistant to injury to giving your more power/explosiveness in all facets of the game. Obviously your main focus should still be your trade but we're in the fully professional era where you don't generally have to make that choice - you have time to do both.
I'm sure weights will help but I've always believed it's best, especially for bowlers, just to keep bowling. Courtney Walsh followed a similar philosophy and he had an ok career

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
u are a journo, though, right, shivfan? for some reason, i've been labouring under that (mis?)apprehension.

regarding the weights point, gotspin, actually i had been surprised to hear that the windies bowlers of the 70s and 80s did quite a bit of weight training; i was sure that it was all running and bowling but apparently not, according to holding. he mentioned it during one of his commentary stints...think it was when england were in the caribbean...a couple of years ago.

Yeah look to be honest I'm not an expert on this. I've just always followed Courtney Walsh's philosophy

smash84

The Tiger King
I don't know - I mean having a higher level of fitness can never hurt you and doing weights will improve a whole lot of things, from making your body resistant to injury to giving your more power/explosiveness in all facets of the game. Just purely for injury prevention, working out can help ease the workload (you can of course overtrain and make it worse, but these guys have full time trainers who manage such things to make sure there isn't overtraining and players stay near their peaks). Obviously your main focus should still be your trade but we're in the fully professional era where you don't generally have to make that choice - you have time to do both.
of course but there has to be a balance right? I mean I doubt you can start bodybuilding like arnold schwarzenegger and be as good in cricket

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Yeah, in Holding's autobiography, he mentions the influence Roberts had on him as a mentor and how much W. Indies's fitness coach contributed to their fast bowlers' success. Also Lloyd did a great job balancing their bowling workloads... all four bowlers would invariably end up having bowled an identical number of overs (or very close) after every Test.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I'm sure weights will help but I've always believed it's best, especially for bowlers, just to keep bowling. Courtney Walsh followed a similar philosophy and he had an ok career
Yea, but what's 'too much weights'? Most taxing weight regimens are rarely more than like 45 minutes a day four-five days a week (and for non contact sport where sheer size is less important, it's usually only like 40-45 minutes, probably three days a week). For a professional athlete, it's hardly 'too much' or overkill. I doubt it takes that much out of your bowling, batting or fielding time. I mean you don't ever weight lift for like three hours a day, every day.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yeah, in Holding's autobiography, he mentions the influence Roberts had on him as a mentor and how much W. Indies's fitness coach contributed to their fast bowlers' success. Also Lloyd did a great job balancing their bowling workloads... all four bowlers would invariably end up having bowled an identical number of overs (or very close) after every Test.
But Holding has also flat out said he would not have been able to play today like he did due to the workload. He came from an era where playing 50 Tests in your career was not really uncommon. So his training regimen would have had to change for him to keep up with the intense and sustained demand of the modern scheduling....

Top_Cat

Yeh, I think people will find that cricketers do some weight training but the guys who look like they've been hitting the beach weights haven't been doing it because they have to..... You'd imagine there'd be a fair amount of personal choice involved as far as what the players do outside of mandatory training sessions.

And for every Courtney Walsh, there's someone like Dennis Lillee who was an avid gym rat, always looking for the training regimen which would prolong his career and give him an edge yet you'd never say he lacked skill because of it.

I would also argue that players seemingly be injured these days is more a function of better management than anything. Instead of ploughing through a season with a shoulder niggle which won't go away only to do their RC, players sit out the occasional match and give it a bit of time. Just looks like players have niggles all the time these days because they actually report and act on it.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

But Holding has also flat out said he would not have been able to play today like he did due to the workload. He came from an era where playing 50 Tests in your career was not really uncommon. So his training regimen would have had to change for him to keep up with the intense and sustained demand of the modern scheduling....
Yep. Holding was off a much shorter run later in his career too so, even then, it's not as if he was bowling flat out for his entire career. If he was playing now, something would have to give; either he would have to have upped his training regimen like you said or play less.

Last edited:

shivfan

Banned

I was, when I lived and worked in the Caribbean....

Since moving back to the UK, I found it harder to break into that field, so worked as a press officer at a few charities.

shivfan

Banned

It came about as a result of the Packer years, and Lloyd linking up with Dennis Waight. The Aussie instituted a fitness regime that ensured that the WI players didn't break down with injury. Holding said he never set foot in a gym, but Waight organised a series of exercises they could do on the field, and even in the hotel room, to stay fit. In his autobiography, 'No Holding Back', the Jamaican pacer highlights fitness as one of the main reasons why the Windies dominated for so long. None of the other teams, including England and Australia, took fitness that seriously at the time. When they did start taking fitness seriously, Brian Lara took over the captaincy, and he had a negative attitude towards Waight's fitness regime. They had a clash, Waight went, and Windies cricket continued to decline.

shivfan

Banned
Yea, but what's 'too much weights'? Most taxing weight regimens are rarely more than like 45 minutes a day four-five days a week (and for non contact sport where sheer size is less important, it's usually only like 40-45 minutes, probably three days a week). For a professional athlete, it's hardly 'too much' or overkill. I doubt it takes that much out of your bowling, batting or fielding time. I mean you don't ever weight lift for like three hours a day, every day.
This is what Roberts said in the cricinfo article, and I agree with him....

'The emphasis on fitness at the expense of actual cricketing skills has led Roberts to believe the thinking in West Indies cricket has sunk to a new low. "The new thinking is not the old way. I know cricket has changed, thinking has changed but the basics are the same. The technique remains the same. You can't hold the ball across the seam and hope to bowl outswingers, for example." He was critical of the approach of some players and the atmosphere fostered by the board that makes the players act in that manner. "Attitude and work ethic has changed. Lots of players don't practice cricket much. Some spend more time in the gym than in the nets. "I heard Gayle being quoted as saying that the board says, 'If you are not fit, you can't play for West Indies'. That's not the wholesome approach. If you aren't technically and mentally good, and physical fit, then you can't play at the highest level. Less time in the gym and more time in nets is what is needed."'

West Indies news: Andy Roberts wants complete overhaul of West Indies cricket | West Indies Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

Is Darren Sammy a better player than Gayle, Benn, Shiv, Sarwan and Barath, because he can run 20 laps with ease, and the other five can't? Sammy's built like an athlete, but the other five are not.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
It came about as a result of the Packer years, and Lloyd linking up with Dennis Waight. The Aussie instituted a fitness regime that ensured that the WI players didn't break down with injury. Holding said he never set foot in a gym, but Waight organised a series of exercises they could do on the field, and even in the hotel room, to stay fit. In his autobiography, 'No Holding Back', the Jamaican pacer highlights fitness as one of the main reasons why the Windies dominated for so long. None of the other teams, including England and Australia, took fitness that seriously at the time. When they did start taking fitness seriously, Brian Lara took over the captaincy, and he had a negative attitude towards Waight's fitness regime. They had a clash, Waight went, and Windies cricket continued to decline.
interesting. then my memory must really be failing me since i distinctly remember holding mentioning doing weights in the gym during his commentary stint. my mistake. need to drink more!