• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My Top 5 Magical World Cup Moments

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ESPNCricinfo's top 10 performances (Incidentally, the guy who wrote this article is a senior from my university):

World Cup 2011: Ten performances that lit up the World Cup

• Shahid Afridi v Sri Lanka, 4 for 34
  • Andrew Strauss v India, 158 off 145
  • Kevin O'Brien v England, 113 off 63
  • Ross Taylor v Pakistan, 131 off 124
  • Brett Lee v Pakistan, 4 for 28
  • Yuvraj Singh v Australia, 57 off 65
  • Jacob Oram v South Africa, 4 for 39
  • Wahab Riaz v India, 5 for 46
  • Mahela Jayawardene v India, 103 off 88
  • MS Dhoni v Sri Lanka, 91 off 79

Ponting's 100 in QF unfortunate to miss out. But can't quibble too much over the chosen ones.
You from Anna University or IIMA? :p

Daemon

I can't disagree with any list posted so far. Too many performances to mention :)

For me the some of the most magical moments were in the last 5 overs of the finals and the celebrations afterwards

_Ed_

ESPNCricinfo's top 10 performances (Incidentally, the guy who wrote this article is a senior from my university):

Ponting's 100 in QF unfortunate to miss out. But can't quibble too much over the chosen ones.
Definitely can't disagree with the selections. But I'm guessing they're in chronological order? Because I'd have some issues if they were ranked that way.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member

Gambhir in the final surely has to be there?

Blaze 18

Banned
1) Dhoni's six
2) Ireland's winning runs against England
3) Oram's catch to dismiss Kallis
4) Harbhajan dismissing Shahid Afridi
5) Wahab Riaz dismissing Yuvraj Singh

amyswan

Cricket Spectator
That Wahab Riaz in-swinging full toss to Yuvraj has to be the ball of the tournament. Very full, very fast, and superb late in-swing..........reminded you of Wasim and Waqar at their best

lol@ the reaction of the guy in the crowd......he says "what the hell is going on"..........:)

YouTube - WC 2011 Pak vs India Semi Final Yuvraj Wicket By Wahab Riaz.mpg

Agree that it has to be the ball of the tournament and the last ball on which Dhoni hit a sixer should be the shot of the tournament. :P

Tricia McMillan

U19 Captain
[*]Brett Lee v Pakistan, 4 for 28
I thought it was a huge shame that Brett Lee's spectacular performance was part of a losing effort. Glad to see that others noticed it and it wasn't masked by Australia losing.

My favorite magical moment was our fightback against South Africa. Incredible bowling and fielding to lock it down.

_Ed_

My favorite magical moment was our fightback against South Africa. Incredible bowling and fielding to lock it down.
Absolutely. It's a shame that performance isn't quite being given the credit it deserves because people have been very quick to put it entirely down to a South African choke. I'm not denying that was a factor, by the way. But our bowling and fielding team effort was sensational that night.

vcs

Absolutely. It's a shame that performance isn't quite being given the credit it deserves because people have been very quick to put it entirely down to a South African choke. I'm not denying that was a factor, by the way. But our bowling and fielding team effort was sensational that night.
Definitely. Loved the way they completely shut down the flow of runs after Duminy fell. The fielding inside the ring was incredible, and backed up Vettori's attacking captaincy superbly.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It was amazing to watch, as soon as South Africa gave them the slightest way in they pounced on it and didn't give them a fraction of a thing.

Found this post from King Cricket:

Exceptional cricket. That is how you exploit a weakness.

At 108-2 chasing 222, South Africa seemed untroubled, but there was a spot on their face. It was very small, but it was there. With the dismissal of Jacques Kallis, they gave it a little bit of a scratch and took the top off it, drawing a faint speck of blood.

What New Zealand did then was magnificent. They sawed off Mount Everest, tipped it over, inserted the tip into that blemish and pushed. Bringing the field in, surrounding the South Africans, they pushed and they pushed and they pushed until that tiny break in the skin was a wound and then they pushed some more until South Africa split in two.

vcs

Yeah, in many ways that was my favourite game of the World Cup. The intensity, as you say, was simply amazing to watch.