• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players you hated at first, but now love?

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I never liked Chanderpaul during the 90's. He was always the skinny batsman with the ugly technique who never showed much spine when the pressure was on.

I love the guy now. Respect him so highly for being the only West Indian batsman in the past decade to truly value his wicket.

Spark

Global Moderator
Can't say I hated anyone and now love them (because the first basically never happens). Quite a few players who I just didn't care for at all/took no interest in/were completely anonymous to me despite me seeing them a lot who are now amongst my favourites. Below is an example. ABdV is another.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hated a bit strong, but at the start of their respective careers, I never saw the point of Hoggard or Bresnan, but the Yorkies won me over.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thought Flintoff was overrated for a long time, then fell in love with him after Ashes 2005.

vcs

He ended up with 1-35 off 10, the batsmen and Jimmeh deserve all the stick today. I think even Shahzad was very poor, even with the wicket-taking balls. Lost track of the wides he bowled and the legside pies he kept feeding the openers.

grecian

He ended up with 1-35 off 10, the batsmen and Jimmeh deserve all the stick today. I think even Shahzad was very poor, even with the wicket-taking balls. Lost track of the wides he bowled and the legside pies he kept feeding the openers.
Touch of humour tbh......

grecian

Whoops, sorry.

Hey it wasn't very funny, so I can understand why you missed it:)

For the record, he bowled well and great catch, and kept us in it. Yet towards the end he made me weep a little.

vcs

Among Indian players, it took me a long time to start rating Gambhir. And Zaheer has been really good for a while now but I only properly got on the bandwagon quite recently.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Shoaib Akhtar. Hated him after that test match in Kolkata where he took out Dravid and Tendy and then was invloved in Tendy Runout.

Right now he is one of my all time favorite player, I don't see a better sight in Cricket than Akhtar running to bowl.