• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 21 - England v South Africa

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Wins like this can completely turn a team around though. It's happened before in tournaments. After a disappointment vs. India and embarrassment vs. Ireland, they were on the brink and came back to beat one of the tournament favourites.

It can give the team momentum that could get them to the semis or better.

Well within the realms of a possibility.
Yeah no doubt. I still have major reservations over them relating to the fact that I don't think England are very good at one day cricket though. They're certainly not as **** as some people have made out of late and this win could turn around some of the form and confidence issues they've been having but I don't think they really have the overall class in the team to go all the way, personally, especially as Pietersen is now apparently going home.

Jacknife

International Captain
Happened at the T20 WC, scrape through the first group stage then hammered everyone they came up against from then on in.
It is similar to the T20 WC, lost to WI because of d/l, then had a poor batting display against Ireland before the whether came and everyone was saying how poor we were and had no chance of winning. Then the next round came and it all clicked. Not sure it will all finish the same this time, but I can hope.

Jacknife

International Captain
If KP is going home can we call up another player - i think Morgan is fit now?
It's reported in the paper, that he could be heading home, so who knows, till it's confirmed. Hopefully Morgan is fit, but whether he's had a bat in his hand since the Oz tour, is another thing.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh: A choke for all seasons. Easily South Africa’s finest effort since 99 as they choked not once but twice, somehow Steyn gets them 3 hits away from victory with 3 wickets in hand and then they go choke again. 4 players need signalling out for the choke. First player, Hashim Amla, in the form of his life, England don’t look like threatening him let alone getting him out, goes and plays a dumbass shot - opens the door for England. Jacques Kallis, three innings, three failures, chases a wide one, gets himself out - pressure on. Morne van Wyk, take the batting PP, take the responsibility, get the team home, instead Morne lets a tailender become the senior batsman as van Wyk plays one innovative shot all innings. Morne Morkel, he wouldn’t get South Africa over the line even if South Africa needed one run and I was the bowler. Robbie P also played an innings which can only be described as "crazed" but he gets a pass here.

Remarkable how much fear the side plays with especially given there is 40+ million people back in the Republic who couldn’t give a toss if they win or lose. Roll on Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka or Australia in the quarters! :)

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
England v South Africa: South Africa's marshmallow syndrome | Cricket Features | ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 | ESPN Cricinfo

A marshmallow has many redeeming qualities. It's sweet and light and fluffy and tastes as good dipped in chocolate as it does chargrilled over a flame. That it can so easily get burnt is one of its shortcomings.

Marshmallows can't withstand. Trap them in a clenched fist and they're soon squashed. Heat them up and they become gooey and pliable. In other words, place them in a situation of pressure and they're likely to become unrecognisable, a little like the South African middle order.

:laugh:

cnerd123

likes this
Geez, England are having an entertaining WC aren't they? Can't believe I missed this game. Kicking myself for it.

Definitely going to tune in for Eng/WI and Eng/BD.

Saffers are so not winning the WC if they keep choking like this. Morne seems to be the key culprit - played a rubbish shot in a crucial situation in that game against India as well.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Geez, England are having an entertaining WC aren't they? Can't believe I missed this game. Kicking myself for it.

Definitely going to tune in for Eng/WI and Eng/BD.

Saffers are so not winning the WC if they keep choking like this. Morne seems to be the key culprit - played a rubbish shot in a crucial situation in that game against India as well.
Needs to bat 11. Tahir from what I've seen of him isn't a complete mug with the bat and all Tahir has to do is show bottle and he would be immeasurably better to have at 10 than Morne, that despite Morne actually having a good technique (against pace) and the ability to bat. Reflects very bad on Morne that guys like Steyn are batting above him and Harris in the test side. When he debuted he actually played two key knocks with the bat which helped South Africa beat India and there was a thought he would turn into a genuine all-rounder but since then he hasn't done ****.

2nd Test: South Africa v India at Durban, Dec 26-30, 2006 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

cnerd123

likes this
Yea, I remember Morne used to actually be useful with the bat. He just doesn't have a big game temperment. Which is a shame really.

Actually, it's quite odd, he bowls well in pressure situations. Or does he?