• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 8 - Australia v New Zealand

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BeeGee

International Captain
Forget Australia, NZ gonna win this WC :happy:
NZ stands astride Group A like a colossus, looking down upon all the other teams as they cower before their might. Kenya has already been scorched by the white hot heat of NZ's wrath and now it's time for Australia to feel the shock and awe of facing the legendary Black Caps. Step forward Australia, if ye be men of courage, and be measured against the greatest cricketing power the universe has ever seen!!

IMO (kinda).

BeeGee

International Captain
It looks like NZ are going with the same team that played Kenya:
Australia v New Zealand, Group A, World Cup 2011, Nagpur: Can Ponting lead Australia out of their sp | Cricket News | ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 | ESPN Cricinfo

New Zealand have chosen their playing 12. Kyle Mills, Kane Williamson, and Luke Woodcock will miss out.
Why do they have NZ's last match as an L? My recollection is that NZ beat Kenya. :dry:

I hope NZ bowl first. :) (NZ always seems to do better chasing against Aus).

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Australia's pace attack and New Zealand's top three are the best part of both their respective teams on the right day. They can also be the most temperamental part. If New Zealand bat first, the game could be decided in the opening 10 overs.

Last edited:

BeeGee

International Captain
Australia's pace attack and New Zealand's top three are the best part of both their respective teams on the right day. They can also be the most temperamental part. If New Zealand bat first, the game could be decided in the opening 10 overs.
That's why I want NZ to bowl first.
Even if Aus get a big total batting first, NZ still has a chance. If NZ bat first and end up 50/5 it's game over, and what could be a great game will end up as a one sided bore fest.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
No Mills? Unless he's still injured that has to be bordering on full ****** by the kiwi selectors.

xanderbiscuits

U19 12th Man
Predictions:
Australia to bat first and to get 300+
Bennett and Southee to get spanked and go wicketless (no more than 1 wicket between the 2 of them)
B McCullum to fall in the 20s
The rest of NZ to fall pretty soon after
NZ all out for less than 200

Blaze 18

Banned
I'd like to see New Zealand win this one. Not that I like watching Australia lose or anything, but it would give the people in New Zealand something to cheer about after the tragic earthquake. However, I don't see anything other than a comfortable win for Australia. New Zealand's recent form in the sub-continent has been woeful to say the least, the thumping win against Kenya aside.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
That's why I want NZ to bowl first.
Even if Aus get a big total batting first, NZ still has a chance. If NZ bat first and end up 50/5 it's game over, and what could be a great game will end up as a one sided bore fest.
Completely talking out of my hat here, but aren't NZ traditionally exceptional chasers? I vaguely remember them putting in some great chases last time they were over here. Seem to remember reading that they've got a far better record in ODIs batting second over setting a target in recent years too.

Blaze 18

Banned
No Mills? Unless he's still injured that has to be bordering on full ****** by the kiwi selectors.
I agree - wasn't Mills one of the top ODI bowlers in the world until recently ? I suppose New Zealand could do with his hitting abilities down the order, too.

BeeGee

International Captain
If the pitch has turn in it, Krejza is more quality than Vettori...
It certainly will be interesting to see how Krejza goes. The Aussies certainly need him to fire in this WC.

Vettori is the No.1 ranked ODI bowler in the world with a ton of experience behind him, but he hasn't been in the best of form lately.

BeeGee

International Captain
Completely talking out of my hat here, but aren't NZ traditionally exceptional chasers? I vaguely remember them putting in some great chases last time they were over here. Seem to remember reading that they've got a far better record in ODIs batting second over setting a target in recent years too.
Since Dec 2004 there have been 33 matches between NZ and Aus. Aus won 22, NZ won 9 and 2 N/R. Of the 9 matches NZ has won, 8 were batting second.

TumTum

Banned
Big call mate. Vettori brings so much experience. Crayfish turns it big but his control is questionable at best.
Yeah that's true, but on his day i don't think there's any doubt Krejza can cause big damage. However it will all depend on how much Ponting uses him and if he gets his full quota in, we know Vettori will most likely bowl early and all his overs.