• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5 cricketers of the century and a bit?

smash84

The Tiger King
Hmm.. I was watching some highlights of the semi and the final (it's all they show nowadays on Star Sports here :laugh:) and I thought Imran and Miandad were slooow, and a bit lucky to get bailed out by Inzy, Akram and Moin Khan in the slog overs. I guess it was one of those things that was just meant to be, a glorious ending to a glorious career.
I think Blaze makes a correct statement (copied below) regarding the 1992 WC final. Pak were in dire straits when Imran and Javed came in to bat. Stability was needed not an Umar Akmalesque or Afridish innings lasting 20 balls at max.

Not sure about that, vcs. I reckon Pakistan would have been shot out for a low score, if Javed and Imran had tried to bat like Afridi. That the likes of Wasim Akram and Moin Khan could bat with gay abandon towards the end was solely down to the platform set by Imran and Javed.

mrcheek

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
YES. We are talking the best players of all time here. There are not 20 names safely ahead of Imran in fast bowling. Can you please name the fast bowlers safely ahead of Imran as a fast bowler???? And on what basis you call them safely ahead????

He just didn't lead Pakistan to the world cup win (which is arguably the finest world cup campaign of all time given that Pakistan were down and out of the cup). He beat England in England, India in India, and almost beat the WI in WI. Never lost a series as captain to arguably the finest cricket team in the history of the game. Mentored the 2Ws, taught them reverse swing. Made a winning team out of a disparate bunch and led his side for 10 years averaging around 19 with the ball and 52 with the bat.

How does he not have a shot at the top 5 cricketers of all time?

To be fair to Blaze he said arguably the best fast bowler because there is no one definitive answer to that question.

Once again my question to you is please name the 20 fast bowlers safely ahead of him in terms of being better fast bowlers and your criteria to rate them?

Go ahead. Your rants are generally good :)
20 guys ahead of Imran as a bowler , off the top of my head:
Hadlee, Marshall, Holding, Ambrose, Walsh, Garner, Croft, Roberts, Wasim, Waqar, Lillee, Thomson, Miller, Alderman, McGrath, Donald, Pollock, Trueman, Botham, Larwood,

Teja.

Global Moderator
Hadlee, Marshall, Holding, Ambrose, Walsh, Garner, Croft, Roberts, Wasim, Waqar, Lillee, Thomson, Miller, Alderman, McGrath, Donald, Pollock, Trueman, Botham, Larwood,
I'm sorry, Are you seriously suggesting that Jeff Thomson(Who was glorious for his 2-3 year peak no doubt) was a better pacer than Imran Khan? Seriously?

smash84

The Tiger King
Are you only counting names of the bowlers or are you basing your arguments on something???? You might as well list down another hundred bowlers if you are just counting names.

And according to your statement these bowlers are "safely ahead" of Imran?

And what do you base your analysis on?

smash84

The Tiger King
I'm sorry, Are you seriously suggesting that Jeff Thomson(Who was glorious for his 2-3 year peak no doubt) was a better pacer than Imran Khan? Seriously?
And Terry Alderman too in that list. Very interesting list indeed.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Wow. We're all entitled to our opinions I guess. :)

hang on

State Vice-Captain
while i may not have imran in the top 5 fast bowlers of all time, let alone have him as the best ever, to aver that botham, croft, alderman, thomson among others were better than imran is verging on pure hyperbole.

even roberts, holding, larwood, and pollock would be stretching it.

mrcheek

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
20 names off the top of my head. And I stick by every single one of them. Im not going to justify each one individually, or we will be here for a very long time. But in my opinion, they were all better bowlers than Imran, great though he was.

thinking about it, I would add Spofforth, Barnes, Jon Snow, Keith Boyce.

Just shows how many great quicks there have been in history!

abmk

State 12th Man
while i may not have imran in the top 5 fast bowlers of all time, let alone have him as the best ever, to aver that botham, croft, alderman, thomson among others were better than imran is verging on pure hyperbole.

even roberts, holding, larwood, and pollock would be stretching it.
I agree, that is a bit of a joke, especially alderman, who couldn't do sh*t when the conditions did not favour swing bowling

Blaze 18

Banned
Each of these twenty is "safely ahead" of Imran Khan ? :unsure:

I guess it comes down to personal opinion - as it always does. I would have Imran Khan near the top of that list, if not at the top.

Last edited:

sachin200

U19 12th Man
Imran not only best pakistani fast bowler ever he is also comfortably better than walsh, garner, thompson, miller, alderman, pollock, botham, larwood

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Imran not only best pakistani fast bowler ever he is also comfortably better than walsh, garner, thompson, miller, alderman, pollock, botham, larwood
Nooo. Waqar at his peak was a better bowler than Imran (pretty much everyone else too) and Wasim was no worse than him either.

& you can make cases that Imran is better than all those named (although with Garner at least it's not a very strong one), but "comfortably" better? Sorry, not for my quid.

smash84

The Tiger King
Nooo. Waqar at his peak was a better bowler than Imran (pretty much everyone else too) and Wasim was no worse than him either.

& you can make cases that Imran is better than all those named (although with Garner at least it's not a very strong one), but "comfortably" better? Sorry, not for my quid.
I don't think that it is too difficult to say that Imran is comfortably better than Terry Alderman. There was nothing special about the guy except 2 Ashes series quite a few years apart where he did really well. Other than that what was special about him? Imran comfortably better than him. Not "comfortably" better all of them though.

But it is equally ridiculous if not more to suggest that those 20 names mentioned are "safely" ahead of Imran as fast bowlers.

smash84

The Tiger King

Here is Waqar's peak as a bowler

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...5;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bowling

If you take Imran's peak before his stress fracture in 1983 then Imran's peak is absolutely phenomenal. Arguably better than Waqar's 4 year peak.

All-round records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...0;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bowling

In 24 matches he averages almost 41 with the bat and takes 134 wickets at an average of 16.35. That is an exceptional peak.

20 names off the top of my head. And I stick by every single one of them. Im not going to justify each one individually, or we will be here for a very long time. But in my opinion, they were all better bowlers than Imran, great though he was.

thinking about it, I would add Spofforth, Barnes, Jon Snow, Keith Boyce.

Just shows how many great quicks there have been in history!
How do you think you can justify Terry Alderman as a better bowler???? I would like some reasons on that. It would make for interesting food for thought

Last edited: