• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bond or Steyn?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Question to physiology experts on here : Was there anything inherently wrong with Bond's action or was he just unlucky to have chronic back problems? I always felt it was the latter.
Have always thought it was the latter as well.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Question to physiology experts on here : Was there anything inherently wrong with Bond's action or was he just unlucky to have chronic back problems? I always felt it was the latter.
Initially, his action was really bad for his back. I don't remember what specifically it was about it, but I remember the term "counter-rotation" being bandied about alot. After the really bad stress-fracture that kept him out from 2003-2005, he made some adjustments to his action that removed the pressure on his back, and he never had any more serious back problems after that. Unfortunately, other niggles started emerging (both knees, abdominals, shoulder as well as a few other "illnesses") that curtailed his career.

Polo23

International Debutant
Initially, his action was really bad for his back. I don't remember what specifically it was about it, but I remember the term "counter-rotation" being bandied about alot. After the really bad stress-fracture that kept him out from 2003-2005, he made some adjustments to his action that removed the pressure on his back, and he never had any more serious back problems after that. Unfortunately, other niggles started emerging (both knees, abdominals, shoulder as well as a few other "illnesses") that curtailed his career.
From memory it was because the lower half of his body (waist down) was side on in his delivery stride and his upper body was front on which caused the stress fractures. He remodelled his action so the lower half of his body was also front on in his delivery stride, which seemed to reduce the back injuries but increase every other bloody injury under the sun.

kingkallis

International Coach
:huh: AD played until he was 34 and Polly played test cricket until he was 35. If Steyn goes that long he will end up with comfortably 400+ test wickets.
If he stays fit and keep firing like this [ 40 wickets every season ] till he turns 35 then he will have at least 500 wickets under his belt.

abmk

State 12th Man
Enjoyed/enjoy watching them both bowl immensely. Can't really decide .My two favorites in the bowling list as far as the post 2000 era is concerned

Mike5181

International Captain
Enjoyed watching Bond bowl tbh. He was pure class (speed/skill/intelligence) as well as a top bloke much like Brett Lee. Steyn is always fun to watch as well but when you were watching Bond bowl you knew you were watching a guy that really was the best. His presence in the side actually lifted New Zealand to levels not seen before and the win/loss ratio when he was in the side is simply amazing. The name "Bond" on the team sheet filled NZ fans up with bucket loads of confidence before a ball was even bowled.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bond was pure ***. What a name, what an action, what a bowler. WAG.

smash84

The Tiger King
Enjoyed watching Bond bowl tbh. He was pure class (speed/skill/intelligence) as well as a top bloke much like Brett Lee. Steyn is always fun to watch as well but when you were watching Bond bowl you knew you were watching a guy that really was the best when he was on the park.
The part in bold is important. WHEN you were watching Bond which was rare since he was injured so often.

For Test matches I would choose Steyn.

For ODIs I would go for Bond. He was just plain outstanding against a very might aussie sight of the 00s. A real champion bloke WHEN he was on the park.

Mike5181

International Captain
The part in bold is important. WHEN you were watching Bond which was rare since he was injured so often.

For Test matches I would choose Steyn.

For ODIs I would go for Bond. He was just plain outstanding against a very might aussie sight of the 00s. A real champion bloke WHEN he was on the park.
Bond blows Steyn for dead in ODIs 147 wickets at 20.8 compared to Steyn's average which is greater than 30. Just because he was injured more often than a regular player does not take away from his effectiveness on the pitch and in fact shows the character of the guy to come back time and time again after an injury to churn out world class performances.

smash84

The Tiger King
Bond blows Steyn for dead in ODIs 147 wickets at 20.8 compared to Steyn's average which is greater than 30. Just because he was injured more often than a regular player does not take away from his effectiveness on the pitch and in fact shows the character of the guy to come back time and time again after an injury to churn out world class performances.
Yes but it says a lot about his low levels of fitness when in a decade of international cricket he didn't even play 100 ODIs. And like I said I would choose Bond over Steyn in ODIs. In Tests it is not much of a contest IMO.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yes but it says a lot about his low levels of fitness when in a decade of international cricket he didn't even play 100 ODIs. And like I said I would choose Bond over Steyn in ODIs. In Tests it is not much of a contest IMO.
It's even less of a contest in ODIs IMO.

Evermind

International Debutant
So little between the two of them. The two greatest bowlers of our generation, for me, and probably the best their respective countries ever produced.

Unlike Lee and Akhtar and Tait, with these two, I always felt every ball that there might be a wicket coming up. Bond had one of the best slower balls in the game, and Steyn gets insane swing.

I'd go for Bond by a millimetre, because almost everything about his bowling was perfect. But it's really hard to pick out flaws in Steyn, too. On the other hand, Lee had a very slight kink in his action, and Shoaib's a chucker, so they don't compare. Watching Tait bowl is like watching Phil Hughes bat. Bond and Steyn are a class apart, just even aesthetically - and no doubt statistically.

This thread reminds me to be grateful that during our times, we have some of the greatest cricketers the game has ever produced. And among them are people like Kambli and Bond, at whom you can just shake your head and wonder what could've been. The former could've been another Tendulkar, and the latter a Marshall.