• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the SCG

hazsa19

International Regular
Scoring 30s and 40s are meaningless in the grand scheme of things, especially from a player who declared himself to be on fire at the start of the tour. I call this tour a complete waste from a player in form.
Well he made a massive double ton that was instrumental in allowing us to bat just the once in Adelaide.

And you have to look past statistics sometimes. In Melbourne 2 quick wickets fell on the morning, his gritty 50 was an important step in blunting the Aussie bowlers and protect the lower order while Siddle was bowling well.

Today...it was a ****ing terrible shot, he needs his head examined. BUT, it wasn't meaningless at all. He played a part in a decent partnership that took us closer to Australia's total in tough conditions. Tomorrow the sun might come out making it ever so slightly easier for Collingwood and the rest.

Spark

Global Moderator
3/160 ---> 400 is a bit of a call to make.

I think you'll find it's tougher than you think. Post-tea the bowling by and large improved greatly, and asked quite a lot of questions.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I actually quite liked Beer today. Not sure if he should be the spin incumbent, but he hasn't hurt his chances with this showing.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't know what Tubby Taylor is on with his call that the no ball should stay legit and Cook (and in the last test, Prior) should stay out. It's a no ball, for ****'s sake. The umpire may urge on the side of caution and not call the no ball, knowing he can review it. Spinners shouldn't be bowling no balls at all in the first place, but I'd rather the right decision is made than "The Moment (TM)" is preserved.

Howsie

International Captain
Well at least Beer looks to be an upgrade over Xavier Doherty, that might not be saying a lot but he looked more then handy imo.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
The only good thing is that mitch found some rhythm. Beer is a **** but bowled okayish today. Bowled rubbish today except one or two spells.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
anything could happen from here.

if we restrict them to 330 or so, game on.

any englishmen saying you're in a totally commanding position is talking out of their ****.

clarke's captaincy was good today- never gave up despite an early hammering, and TRIED THINGS, HAD PLANS!!!

poontang would've left them out there to get slaughtered, and done absolutely NOTHING innovative. Clarke for captain, **** off ponting- if you want back in the team, its at number 6 without the captaincy, where you can't impart your *****y mentality and 'tactics'

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Don't know what Tubby Taylor is on with his call that the no ball should stay legit and Cook (and in the last test, Prior) should stay out. It's a no ball, for ****'s sake. The umpire may urge on the side of caution and not call the no ball, knowing he can review it. Spinners shouldn't be bowling no balls at all in the first place, but I'd rather the right decision is made than "The Moment (TM)" is preserved.
What is he basing this off? Why does he think they should be upheld?!

HeathDavisSpeed

What is he basing this off? Why does he think they should be upheld?!
In his words, "It destroys The Moment."

Just like today, Beer thought he had his first test wicket, Cook thought he was out. The recall destroyed The Moment (TM)

EDIT: To be fair, everyone else (even Ian Healy) thought he was talking out of his arse.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Taylor talking out of arse shocker.

A no ball is a no ball, end of. No sympathy last test and even less this because it was a spinner. He needs flogging for bowling one in the first place off only a couple of paces.

HeathDavisSpeed

Haha, I assume he doesn't like UDRS then?
Nah. He seems to think the UDRS is okay, I think. Just doesn't like the Umpire having it both ways and covering his arse.

Did make a (kinda) valid point that if the umpire called a no ball, the batsman chooses a silly shot as a result and gets caught... And the umpire calls for a review over the no ball as he wasn't 100% sure... If the ball wasn't a no ball. Then what? The batsman chose a different shot so surely he should remain not out, but that's not very consistent.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Taylor talking out of arse shocker.

A no ball is a no ball, end of. No sympathy last test and even less this because it was a spinner. He needs flogging for bowling one in the first place off only a couple of paces.
Yep. I have no sympathy with no-ballers being denied wickets, though it's probably happened half a dozen times to India in the last couple of series alone.

pasag

RTDAS
It'll be good for Beer. Learnt the hard way that nbs from spinners are unacceptable and hopefully he won't do it again.

social

Well at least Beer looks to be an upgrade over Xavier Doherty, that might not be saying a lot but he looked more then handy imo.
The good news is that, from the little I saw, Beer appears to have an excellent action and some potential

It doesnt really excuse what is no more than a Hail Mary pick but it is something at least