• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Ricky Ponting cop a ban?

What should Ponting's punishment be?

• Total voters

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hate when people acting like a **** is defended as "at least he cares".

Yeah because those well behaved players couldn't give a toss obviously.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's part of any law enforcer/judges job to take stick, even, in fact possibly especially, when they're right - if Punter had lamped Dar then different considerations arise but I do believe that conduct such as this, clearly borne out of frustration and a genuinely held believe, requires only an apology

Spark

Global Moderator
Possibly so, but I didn't see Brad Haddin getting involved at all, and he was the one who started the whole thing by appealing.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
100% fine and a suspended ban, given they'll never ban him. I can't believe we've actually seen behaviour like that, with URDS, totally ridiculous stuff. Also, is that Clarke in the background saying to leave it before walking away?

Ruckus

International Captain
Yep, Clarke is awesome. Should make great captaincy material in terms of good conduct.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dar has always hated Australia and given us bad calls. He's obviously biased and dare I say it racist.

What he did today offended poor Ricky's honour, and that of the entire nation. It will be a good day when Dar no longer umpires.

Etc etc.

Spikey

Dar has always hated Australia and given us bad calls. He's obviously biased and dare I say it racist.

What he did today offended poor Ricky's honour, and that of the entire nation. It will be a good day when Dar no longer umpires.

Etc etc.
Dal's had in it for us ever since he no-balled Warne.

Spark

Global Moderator
100% fine and a suspended ban, given they'll never ban him. I can't believe we've actually seen behaviour like that, with URDS, totally ridiculous stuff. Also, is that Clarke in the background saying to leave it before walking away?
Haven't seen it. Good to hear if so.

fredfertang

Etc etc.
You haven't voted Burgey - stop sitting on the fence and express an opinion

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Etc etc.
:laugh:

Had a stiffled but genuine lol at that.

Don't want to be a brown nose, but think the crim fraternity on here have been very (dare one say remarkably) even handed in their assessments of the incident.

Burgey

You haven't voted Burgey - stop sitting on the fence and express an opinion
I want to know what he said tbh. But if, as is most likely, he was dissenting, then depending what his record is like, he'd have to get a suspended sentence at least.

I mean, he has a right as captain to question things, but it surely looked OTT from my lounge room.

Spark

Global Moderator
Haven't seen it. Good to hear if so.
The replay I've gotten isn't really good enough quality for me to be definitive - I can't see him [Clarke] saying to Ponting to let it go, but he certainly shakes his head and turns on his heel in a manner which indicates that he, at least, has.

I think he tells Siddle to go away, though. EDIT: In fact I'm almost certain he does. That's probably what it is.

If anyone else wants to add their eyes to the mix, I'll pm a link.

Last edited:

vcs

Reckon that if CA is starting to have thoughts about giving Ricky a tap on the shoulder, this could well provide the impetus for them. Yesterday I would've said that he'd be playing on and captaining after the Ashes for sure, but given that he's averaging 15, is about to lose the Ashes at home, and for the third time overall, and has now just made a dick of himself in front of 70,000 at the MCG, the bloke must be on pretty thin ice.
Agree. I have to say I have a teeny bit of sympathy with the view that it shows how much Ponting cares.

Spark

Global Moderator
I have no idea what Ponting is saying, by the way. But it looks to me like he's arguing about what the replays show, which is in itself bizarre.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Headline on Cricinfo says Ponting has been fined, but it links to the earlier story. More shortly, I'd imagine.

HeathDavisSpeed

Exactly the same - although Dar is to Rana as the Almighty is to Beelzebub
Oh yes, but I wasn't comparing Dar with Rana, more Ponting with Gatting. Times have changed and all that, but I don't like the idea that Ponting could be let off here as it will only encourage other players to surround the umpire in a football style.

Spark

Global Moderator
Agree. I have to say I have a teeny bit of sympathy with the view that it shows how much Ponting cares.
Certainly Siddle was in there because he cares. It was extremely odd and interesting to see, and it adds to a line of thought that I'm developing (but won't post here)