• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

pup11

International Coach
I'm pretty sure Smith is pretty much a lock in as the spinner now, but I certainly think the best way to go forward would have been to have Smith replacing North and Hauritz replacing Doherty.
Ferguson too should have done enough with his century to claim North's place in the side, he is anyhow Hilditch's blue-eyed boy and probably would have replaced North in the 1st test itself had he managed some runs back then.....
Also a lot of people are saying how unjustified is it to pick a bloke like Ferguson who averages 30 odd over blokes like Khawaja or Smith who average 50 odd, something those people are ignoring is that Ferguson since the age of 16-17 has been around the scene and till 23 he kept on playing just on the merit of being a good batsman.
Its only in the last two years or so that he has started to string in some good runs and add to that the amount of natural talent he has, so don't think his stats are really the true reflection of his ability.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"Good afternoon, Cricket Australia. Andrea speaking"

"Hello Andrea, can you tell me if the test team is being announced today?"

"Sorry?"

"The test team, is it being announced today?"

"I don't know".

"What do you mean you don't know? This is Cricket Australia isn't it?"

"Yes"

"And you guys are in charge of, among other things, the test team?"

"Yes"

"Well, when might we expect it?"

"I don't know"

"You don't know"

"No"

"Well, is there someone within the organisation responsible for the administraion of Australian cricket who might know when the nation's test team is to be announced?"

"I'll put you through to someone who might"

"That would be lovely. You're very helpful".

Ring. Ring. Ring.

"You've reached the voicemail of Joe Numpty, marketing officer for Cricket Australia. Leave a message and I will return your call"

"Hi Joe, it's Cameron here. Is the test team being announceed today? Give me a call back mate and let me know whether I'm wasting my time sitting next to a radio all arvo expecting it please. You can get me on ...."

That was at 2.18.

Still no return call.

Couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Another factor that needs to be considered is whether Ponting is going to bowl someone like Hauritz if picked. This is the most important match of Ponting's life (legacy, his future as player and captain are all up for grabs), and I just think his scant patience for Hauritz if the Indian tour and subsequent fallout between those guys is any indication is going to mean that a few bad opening overs from Hauritz, and I bet he will be sidelined.
I think Ponting is just trying too hard and as a result both the bowlers and the team is suffering.
Ponting is just trying too hard to make things happen and he just seems more restless than ever on the field, he is constantly changing the field and as a captain he just hasn't shown any patience to work over a wicket.
So if Ponting really wants some results from his bowlers then he better shown more trust in em, otherwise no matter who we pick the result ain't gonna be any good....

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh: burgeah

Anyway.

Expect Warne to come in for Doherty, Khawaja in for North and Hughes in for Katman

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah I agree with pup11. Bowlers are simple creatures and as such if you overcomplicate things for them you'll just mess up their lines/lengths.

pup11

International Coach
The Redbacks v Blues game is over and between Smith and Hauritz they have taken 11 wickets and have scored 154 runs, so I think that's a fair indication of why both of them should play at Perth.

Last edited:

outbreak

First Class Debutant
jeez never would have thought they'd pick beer. Warne recommended him and I laughed....

So it'll be

Watto
Hughes
ponting
clarke
hussey
smith
haddin
beer

then the quicks will be random as to who's picked i guess....

TumTum

Banned
Got_Spin breathes a sigh of relief :ph34r:

Smith must be the 12th man then, he's a good athlete, he'll be good running with the drinks :ph34r: