• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Silly decision by Strauss to declare. Far better to have batted and batted batted and really put the boot in.
Agree with this. Ponting hits a quick ton and it will be easy to spin Englands innings off as an abberation caused by a flat pitch. Reality aside it will give us something to go into the Adelaide test match with. If it ended on 1/650 I don't think any amount of discussion on the pitch could have disguised our direness.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When there is a chance to win no matter how small to with no risk of losing though you have to take it, a few quick wickets would have done a lot more damage than another 100 runs.

Time to end this now, I want to go to sleep.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah I don't agree that Ponting should take the draw quite yet. Hammer another 70 runs or so. They spent five sessions milking our bowlers with consummate ease, return some of the favour before Friday.

Last edited:

JBH001

International Regular
When there is a chance to win no matter how small to with no risk of losing though you have to take it, a few quick wickets would have done a lot more damage than another 100 runs.

Time to end this now, I want to go to sleep.
Disagree, tbh. Given the state of the wicket and the strength in Australia's batting, 10 wickets in 40 overs was highly unlikely even if Jimmy had a dream spell. Speaking of Jimmy, he had a good opening spell from what I saw but was taken off after tea while Broad kept bowling and Swann came on. I don't understand that. I am a fan of Broad but he over-rates himself as a bowler. Any real chance of wickets went at the end of Jimmy's (short) spell.

hazsa19

International Regular
swann's looked so ineffective, i'm very pleased to be going to adelaide level, it almost feels like a win.

But this series is looking like it could be decided by who can collapse less.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think we need to acknowledge that this Gabba wicket hasn't been anywhere near as good as in past seasons, even though that may be through the lack of preparation owing to weather. Maybe he could have given it more juice but was reluctant to with rain about.

Whilst neither side has a great attack, both were able to make the game fascinating the first couple of days with something in the deck. Since then it's been every bit the batting paradise subsontimental pitches get bagged for.

Disappointing tbh.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Without wanting to take too much away from the batsmen, we really have seen some ordinary cricket from the fielding sides in the last few days

Bowling, fielding and captaincy has been pretty average all round

Jacknife

International Captain
Disagree, tbh. Given the state of the wicket and the strength in Australia's batting, 10 wickets in 40 overs was highly unlikely even if Jimmy had a dream spell. Speaking of Jimmy, he had a good opening spell from what I saw but was taken off after tea while Broad kept bowling and Swann came on. I don't understand that. I am a fan of Broad but he over-rates himself as a bowler. Any real chance of wickets went at the end of Jimmy's (short) spell.
Saving him,I'd have thought,he's bowled a fair amount of overs already.I'm just wondering ,how does Broad overrate himself?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia: 1 good bowling performance. 2 good batting performances.
England: 0 good bowling performances. 1 very good batting performance.