• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Doherty did his job, looked reasonably positive and threatening early although got a little bit straight to Cook. He kept the pressure on well up one end during Siddle's spell after lunch where he got the double breakthrough.

He gets the ball up and down pretty quickly, and gets the ball to bite more than Haury (and O'Keefe).

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wow, exciting first days play coupled with some magnificent commentary provided throughout this thread by rival fans.

pasag

RTDAS
I wouldn't be too concerned if I was an English fan, the batting looked pretty solid and confident, certainly not afraid of the Australian attack. Yeah, things didn't go as planned but they will as the series goes on unless our attack fixes itself up pretty quickly. You won't have blokes bowling hat-tricks every day.

Was very impressed with Bell today. I hate his guts because he's soft as butter but I'll have to revise that if he plays many more innings like that. That said, I thought he had finally arrived in 07 in that Indian ODI series but he dropped off pretty quickly after that...

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Doherty did his job, looked reasonably positive and threatening early although got a little bit straight to Cook. He kept the pressure on well up one end during Siddle's spell after lunch where he got the double breakthrough.

He gets the ball up and down pretty quickly, and gets the ball to bite more than Haury (and O'Keefe).
The delivery that dismissed Bell dipped nicely. To the casual observer it looks a loose slog, but Doherty beat him in flight and ended a decent 9th wicket partnership.

Ruckus

International Captain
If the weather is fine and sunny, I will be really disappointed if we can't put up a total of atleast 350. The wicket looks very good for batting really, so unless overcast conditions aid the English bowlers, 350-400 is par for me.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yep he did.

DeusEx how are you getting Sky highlights?

And AWTA to Noble One. Definitely beat Bell in flight, took the outside half of the bat.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Watson is a pretty decent 5th bowler to be fair, but no test batsmen who are set (Trott) should ever get out to a straight 80MPH ball.
Wasn't straight mate. Watch it again...and again and again if necessary.

Was a good ball on a good length that did a bit. Combine that with the fact that Trott's not so hot on the off-side and was made to play a shot exactly there and you have a good ball that made a set batsman look very ordinary.

Ruckus

International Captain
I think Dougie should replace Hilfenhaus after this test. Was expecting Hilf to perform his best here (not wanting to get too far ahead of myself), but he has looked pretty harmless. The only problem with replacing Hilf with Doug is it makes our tail pretty long and weak: Johnson, Doherty, Siddle, bollinger.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Ian Bell - ""We're not a million miles away from a par score."

Bell is right, not a million miles just 150+ runs short.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Dougie should replace Hilfenhaus after this test. Was expecting Hilf to perform his best here (not wanting to get too far ahead of myself), but he has looked pretty harmless. The only problem with replacing Hilf with Doug is it makes our tail pretty long and weak: Johnson, Doherty, Siddle, bollinger.
Not to mention other minor considerations like destabilising the bowling combination, affecting team morale, etc.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
There's another whole innings to go before we have to worry about the next game and selection of our bowlers, for goodness sake.

Well, hopefully not :ph34r: but you get my drift.

Ruckus

International Captain
Not to mention other minor considerations like destabilising the bowling combination, affecting team morale, etc.
Eh? I don't think Hilf is any more important to "team morale" than anyone else. I would have actually thought Dougie was a very popular figure in the team.