• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cribbage's Standardised Test Averages (UPDATED November 2018 - posts 753-755)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think 6 50s with a few red inks is NOT better than 2 100s and a couple of 20s with NO red inks.. The latter is giving you a much better chance to win the 2 said games than the former has done throughout the 6.
Depends what you're actually measuring. The former player has IMO actually batted better and has been unlucky to run out of partners, while the latter player has obviously had more of an impact on the matches he's played (not for the fault of the former player).

smash84

The Tiger King
Depends what you're actually measuring. The former player has IMO actually batted better and has been unlucky to run out of partners, while the latter player has obviously had more of an impact on the matches he's played (not for the fault of the former player).
impact will have to be seen in the context of the match. Might be the 100s might be made on a road in drawn matches and the 50s made on a minefield with teams getting out in less than 200.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
impact will have to be seen in the context of the match. Might be the 100s might be made on a road in drawn matches and the 50s made on a minefield with teams getting out in less than 200.
Yeah, I'm obviously assuming all other things are equal in that hypothetical comparison.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
HBs point is incorrect anyway. Imran will score more runs than Kapil in that sample; have practically the same break-up of 50s and 100s but will have a not-out whereas Kapil is unlikely to.

smash84

The Tiger King
HBs point is incorrect anyway. Imran will score more runs than Kapil in that sample; have practically the same break-up of 50s and 100s but will have a not-out whereas Kapil is unlikely to.
Agrred. Usually not-outs are taken as negatives for a batsman just because they boost the average.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Agrred. Usually not-outs are taken as negatives for a batsman just because they boost the average.
Well if anything I actually think they lower the average in many cases. For most batsmen, it's a lot easier to play when set than right at the start of your innings, so having to basically re-start your innings against a different set of bowlers on a different pitch etc is a disadvantage to your average.

This applies of course only when trying to measure how well someone has batted rather than the influence they've had on the game, which is a bit different.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
What is red inks?

Also, their 50/100 rate per innings is practically the same. If anything, Imran is more likely to score a 100 than Kapil is.
Well.. I am not really into the Imran Vs Kapil debate... I was making a more general point. Reg. Kapil Vs Imran as batters, once again, while Imran may have got more 100s and a better average or whatever, it is important to remember the circumstances when the runs were made. Sometimes, as with the Laxman Samaraveera example, the context of the runs matter too.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
well... if you are running oout of partners, u shud have accelerated earlier... 50 is amazingly low even if you are bating at 7 or 8.. But all this s so hypothetical.. :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
No, my point is not incorrect as I was not referring to Imran Vs Kapil.

And reg. Imran Vs Kapil, as I said, the fact that more of Kapil's knocks are memorable is testimony that he made the runs when they mattered more than Imran. And that seems to be the opinion of most who have watched them throughout their careers.

smash84

The Tiger King
well... if you are running oout of partners, u shud have accelerated earlier... 50 is amazingly low even if you are bating at 7 or 8.. But all this s so hypothetical.. :)
With a Pak batting line-up it is not that simple. And at any rate batting with the tail is never easy. And how is 50 amazingly low at number 8????

bagapath

International Captain
That might be stretching it. Imran was no Bradman with the bat but he was no Courtney Walsh either. As I said earlier that he did save a few matches and against India 1978 he and Javed knocked off 116 runs in the final session of the match (in karachi IIRC..not sure though) in 18 or 20 overs. Imran really took Bedi to the cleaners in that match. A few matches in Australia ensured that Pak ended up at least drawing those matches. And against the West Indies in 88??? At least the final match in 90-91 WI-Pak series (it was a gun series) Imran had an excellent all round final match and had there been a few more overs might have actually won it with the bat too. He did end up saving it with the bat for Pakistan though.
imran was a world class allrounder; he could even be called the best ever - which automatically means he was a good batsman too. i understand this fact, so i am not running him down here. all that i am trying to underline is that he did not turn matches around with the bat as many times as kapil. i could not think of anything he did as a batsman that could match the kapil knocks i had listed before. we should try to look at the impact a player has on a game rather than rely on stats to assess people.

sachin scored an unbeaten fourth innings century against england two years ago. he top scored against england in 2002 in leeds. in both games someone else, sehwag in chennai and dravid in headingly, won the MOM award because their knocks turned the games in india's favor. so despite scoring more runs than sehwag's 87 (and remaning unbeaten) and dravid 146, sachin's 102* and 193 were reduced to, correctly, support acts. kapil had turned the games around many times with his batting; imran, very rarely so. cant think of anything from imran's bat that could match kapil's 119 in the tied test or the unbeaten 77 in lords (both saved the follow on for india) or his express fast 89 in england which was a mere two deliveries away from becoming the fastest century in history. his hundred in the hirwani test of 1988 and the lonely hand he played in SA when everyone else practically sucked against donald and co are the other knocks that come to my mind immediately in this context.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
imran was a world class allrounder, could even be called the best ever - which automatically means he was a good batsman too. i understand this fact, so i am not running him down here. all that i am trying to underline is that he did not turn matches around with the bat as many times as kapil. i could not think of anything he did as a batsman that could match the kapil knocks i had listed before. we should try look at the impact a player has on a game rather than rely on stats to assess people.
I just counted a few off the top of my head as i mentioned in my earlier post. They may not have matched Kapil's innings in terms of impact but to say that they had no impact on the game or that he had close to zero innings that had an impact on the game is a little harsh IMO and a little misleading (especially a few match saving knocks are there that I can recall top of mind, which I mentioned earlier).

smash84

The Tiger King
imran was a world class allrounder; he could even be called the best ever - which automatically means he was a good batsman too. i understand this fact, so i am not running him down here. all that i am trying to underline is that he did not turn matches around with the bat as many times as kapil. i could not think of anything he did as a batsman that could match the kapil knocks i had listed before. we should try to look at the impact a player has on a game rather than rely on stats to assess people.

sachin scored an unbeaten fourth innings century against england two years ago. he top scored against england in 2002 in leeds. in both games someone else, sehwag in chennai and dravid in headingly, won the MOM award because their knocks turned the games in india's favor. so despite scoring more runs than sehwag's 87 (and remaning unbeaten) and dravid 146, sachin's 102* and 193 were reduced to, correctly, support acts. kapil had turned the games around many times with his batting; imran, very rarely so. cant think of anything from imran's bat that could match kapil's 119 in the tied test or the unbeaten 77 in lords (both saved the follow on for india) or his express fast 89 in west indies which was a mere two deliveries away from becoming the fastest century in history. his hundred in the hirwani test of 1988 and the lonely hand he played in SA when everyone else practically sucked against donald and co are the other knocks that come to my mind immediately in this context.
And it is also that Kapil found himself in a lot many situations where India were in trouble compared to Imran. Under Imran Pakistan were easily in the top 3 of the world and gave the best of that time a real run for their money. So it is also that a lot of times that Imran did come in to bat, the team was not really in that much trouble.

And even if the team was in trouble, Imran's batting was probably more suited to saving a match than winning it. He was nowhere near as aggressive as Kapil with the bat but he was probably more dependable in terms of staying at the crease and milking the ball around.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
No, my point is not incorrect as I was not referring to Imran Vs Kapil.

And reg. Imran Vs Kapil, as I said, the fact that more of Kapil's knocks are memorable is testimony that he made the runs when they mattered more than Imran. And that seems to be the opinion of most who have watched them throughout their careers.
Yes, but should a few innings outweigh a career's worth of runs on Imran's part? Not so IMO. Simply put, I'd rather Kapil had fewer memorable knocks if his away record was much better. It's really not even comparable to Imran's. People keep pointing to a few knocks as if that makes up the difference; it doesn't IMO.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yes, but should a few innings outweigh a career's worth of runs on Imran's part? Not so IMO. Simply put, I'd rather Kapil had fewer memorable knocks if his away record was much better. It's really not even comparable to Imran's. People keep pointing to a few knocks as if that makes up the difference; it doesn't IMO.
Not if the rest of the time, the guy was junk with the bat. But Kapil wasn't. Imran was slightly better on his off days than Kapil was on his off days. But Kapil did so much more on HIS days as a batsman more often than Imran did.

Look, we come back to the same thing as we did during the Sobers argument. I am not saying Imran < Kapil as an allrounder. But as a batsman I think they are roughly comparable and it is justifiable that some may think Kapil to have been the better test batter than Imran for the above reason.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Not if the rest of the time, the guy was junk with the bat. But Kapil wasn't. Imran was slightly better on his off days than Kapil was on his off days. But Kapil did so much more on HIS days as a batsman more often than Imran did.

Look, we come back to the same thing as we did during the Sobers argument. I am not saying Imran < Kapil as an allrounder. But as a batsman I think they are roughly comparable and it is justifiable that some may think Kapil to have been the better test batter than Imran for the above reason.
I am not sure how you quantify the first part. What are the "on" days? When they scored 100s or 50s? Because that occurred with the same frequency for both batsmen. If anything with batsmen like these, it is their "off" days that make up a large majority of their careers and Imran was far more consistent.

Still, no one has addressed the fact that Imran was much better away from home than Kapil. I think Kapil is getting a bit too much leniency for some very good displays with the bat.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
would love to hear from you guys what you consider imran's top knocks were. this forum doesnt always have to be about people proving a point to each other. so tell me why you think imran's batting was good, when he lit up the grounds with the bat in his hand. i cant think of any such moments myself, so i would like to know.

here are some of my favorite kapil dev knocks. just check out the bowling lineups against him and see his SR

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63303.html
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63315.html
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63330.html
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63241.html
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63314.html
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63316.html
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63339.html

Last edited: