• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Tendulkar vs Ponting Thread

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd like someone to tell me what's actually wrong with that analysis other than the results not falling in line with their opinions. It's the process rather than the outcome by which an analysis should be judged. There are a couple of flaws with it, but no-one's bothered pointing them out other than just lol'ing.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hey I didn't laugh at the analysis. I just love that it shows Sachin and Ponting up in a thread about Sachin vs. Ponting :p

Also Laxman's record against the best attacks also not that good based on the analysis :ph34r:

:notworthy Shiv and Rahul

Last edited:

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
If I'm understanding the process correctly, it's flawed imo because the match average isn't a good indicator of the difficulty of batting in that match, and because it disproportionately rewards a good batsman in a poor team. I haven't looked at it in much detail though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If I'm understanding the process correctly, it's flawed imo because the match average isn't a good indicator of the difficulty of batting in that match, and because it disproportionately rewards a good batsman in a poor team. I haven't looked at it in much detail though.
:thumbsup:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't understand his methodology properly but saw this comment posted by Arnab Gupta -

"Interesting to consider that Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag and Rahul Dravid have played identical opposition in the 2000s, but where Tendulkar's and Sehwag's averages drop by about 10 points each, Dravid's average barely drops at all.

Would you consider that a flaw in your method of analysis, or in the way you assign "strength" to bowling attacks?"

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't understand his methodology properly but saw this comment posted by Arnab Gupta -

"Interesting to consider that Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag and Rahul Dravid have played identical opposition in the 2000s, but where Tendulkar's and Sehwag's averages drop by about 10 points each, Dravid's average barely drops at all.

Would you consider that a flaw in your method of analysis, or in the way you assign "strength" to bowling attacks?"
That's not really identifying a flaw though; that's just suspecting a flaw from the conclusion, which is poor IMO. Find out why that happened and we're talking.

vcs

Well, the article doesn't make the methodology very clear at all, and resorts to usual cliches "played in a top-class team", "weaker attacks in easy conditions", "run-glut against minnows", "boosting their averages". That makes it really hard for me to take it particularly seriously. Still, I'd appreciate it if anyone could clarify exactly how he comes up with that quality measure matrix and how he translates it into effective runs.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Let me put it this way - playing against the same attacks for similar returns doesn't mean you performed equally when you weight the quality of the attacks.

Obviously that analysis is suggesting that, when India came up against better attacks or played on bowler-friendly surfaces, Dravid did better than Tendulkar and Sehwag. Tendulkar and Sehwag obviously made a lot of big scores in high-scoring matches and/or against bowlers who had high averages to close the gap in scorebook terms.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well, the article doesn't make the methodology very clear at all, and resorts to usual cliches "played in a top-class team", "weaker attacks in easy conditions", "run-glut against minnows", "boosting their averages". That makes it really hard for me to take it particularly seriously. Still, I'd appreciate it if anyone could clarify exactly how he comes up with that quality measure matrix and how he translates it into effective runs.
I haven't examined the formula closely, but it seems to take into account:
- the career bowling averages of the opposition bowlers to determine the quality of the attack
- the amount of runs scored in the game to determine the state of the pitch

There are flaws with that methodology but it's not something to be completely dismissed IMO.

vcs

He just seems to have bunged down that quality measure matrix by opponent/venue for each batsman, and **** knows how he uses that to come up with the effective average/runs. Such as it is, I'll remain skeptical.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
@PrienceEWS - Could you branch it off into a new thread. Might be worthy of good discussion.

@vcs - The methodology is sound tbh. Of course there would be some parameters unaccounted for. But this analysis at least removes one or two flaws from conventional averages.

vcs

Still waiting for someone to explain it to me in words of one syllable. :p