• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australian Domestic Season 2010/11

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No-one's spruiking him, though. Vinny and Hilditch would be pushing hard for him too.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
My mistake it isn't going to be. But the Australia A vs England will :)
In the past they have rarely shown all 4 days, just the Saturday and Sunday at best. Will see this time I guess. Annoyed me to no end when they didnt show in full probably the best tour match in Aus , Aus A v Eng 98/99 Hobart. Amazing scores and finish.

EDIT- that Nov 17 game starts on a wednesday, so yay!!!!!! They will probably show it in full. In previous years it always started on a friday.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I like Ferguson, but he's just the next "young player that CA/selectors will back at all costs" player in Australian cricket. Some see it as a good thing, others don't. Who knows. All I know is it happens every few years. Michael Clarke was one, Steven Smith is the current one, and Ferguson looks the goods too.

You can sort of tell when they've given someone the official nod of approval.

Top_Cat

In the past they have rarely shown all 4 days, just the Saturday and Sunday at best. Will see this time I guess. Annoyed me to no end when they didnt show in full probably the best tour match in Aus , Aus A v Eng 98/99 Hobart. Amazing scores and finish.
Was that when Blewwy got a double ton? I saw pretty much his entire knock. Privilege, tbh.

howardj

International Coach
Then he tonned up in the 2nd dig, I think - or at least a half century

1 000 FC runs before Xmas that year

Crashed his way onto the Windies tour of 1999

Top_Cat

I like Ferguson, but he's just the next "young player that CA/selectors will back at all costs" player in Australian cricket. Some see it as a good thing, others don't. Who knows. All I know is it happens every few years. Michael Clarke was one, Steven Smith is the current one, and Ferguson looks the goods too.

You can sort of tell when they've given someone the official nod of approval.
Especially with an appropriately Anglo name.

Top_Cat

Then he tonned up in the 2nd dig, I think - or at least a half century

1 000 FC runs before Xmas that year

Crashed his way onto the Windies tour of 1999
Nah, can't remember if that was the game exactly but when Blewwy got his double on Bellerive, it was in chasing down a total no-one gave them a hope of doing. Was around a run-a-ball.

robelinda

Nah, can't remember if that was the game exactly but when Blewwy got his double on Bellerive, it was in chasing down a total no-one gave them a hope of doing. Was around a run-a-ball.
Yeah he got 2 tons in the match, and that last day one was awesome, they were set some insane target like 380 in 60 overs and they got it easily. Blewett was in amazing form, then they selected him for the one dayers and he did nothing. Ch 9 showed all of Atherton's boring 200, but Aus A had Border fielding because all the fast bowlers got injured on Day 1, Julian came back but we had Bevan and Blewett bowling most of the overs. Hick scored a good ton too. Annoyed me how ch 9 showed day 1 and 2 live, but not day 3 and 4, only highlights shown here very late at night. Blewett's 200 was outstanding, just red hot batting.

http://static.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1998-99/ENG_IN_AUS/SCORECARDS/ENG_AUS-XI_19-22DEC1998.html

Last edited:

Top_Cat

hah, was about to post the scorecard, looks like my memory of the knock rests with the double, forgot he belted a near-double in the first dig.

Considering the number of runs in the match, amazing there was a result.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Surely even Marsh is ahead of Ferguson? I can't think the Ferguson should get through, needs to up that record domestically.
I'd take Ferguson ahead of Marsh. I'd take Hussey ahead of both of them though and that says something because I really think Hussey should be dropped.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
There's two more FC games for NSW before the Ashes. Surely if Khawaja scores big he should be first in line.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I still think that Cameron White has been dealt with pretty harshly. There's not much more he can do to break into the team considering he's outperformed Ferguson by so much in ODI cricket and people seem so impressed by how 'collected' Ferguson has been at that level. He's also been doing enough with the bat for the past couple of seasons to make him a pretty safe choice.

robelinda

I still think that Cameron White has been dealt with pretty harshly. There's not much more he can do to break into the team considering he's outperformed Ferguson by so much in ODI cricket and people seem so impressed by how 'collected' Ferguson has been at that level. He's also been doing enough with the bat for the past couple of seasons to make him a pretty safe choice.
Yeah I wouldnt be upset to see him get a go at test level, with his leadership experience he really could be the next test captain.

Noble One

The leadership point is a good one. Clarke has always been the chosen one, but does anyone find him to have a good tactical mind? I can only judge him on his limited overs experience, but Clarke has never struck me as a brilliant cricketing mind. He doesn't strike me as a real leader either. Australia have a long history of strong willed characters. With Australia going through a tough period Clarke doesn't seem to have the character to pull the team from a slump.

He will still be next Test captain.

Ruckus

International Captain
I'd take Ferguson ahead of Marsh. I'd take Hussey ahead of both of them though and that says something because I really think Hussey should be dropped.
Yeh same. Even in Hussey's slump he has been averaging around 37, which happens to be about the FC average of both those players... And at least with Hussey there is a very small chance he might actually briefly return to form (in which case he would be far more valuable than either Marsh or Ferguson).

If they are seriously going to select one of those two over Khawaja, I will be even more pissed off than the whole Hussey/North fiasco. That is pure bull**** if they do that.

Btw, you gotta feel kinda sorry for Hussey here. This could well be the end of his test career (if he fails in the next FC games, that is). You get the feeling he knows too:

robelinda

hah, was about to post the scorecard, looks like my memory of the knock rests with the double, forgot he belted a near-double in the first dig.

Considering the number of runs in the match, amazing there was a result.
I'm uploading some short highlights of that Blewett 214*, and the 1st innings 169*. I taped all of what was shown here and still have it. I am bored and i hate cup day. Stay tuned....might even take some requests while i'm at it. I dont usually upload cricket to you tube but seeing as hardly anyone wouldve actually seen his amazing batting i'll do it!

Burgey

Aren't ch9 going to broadcast that game? I'm not sure but I think I heard that somewhere.
I know the Aus A game is being shown in England (or at least as much has been said inteh Ashes build up thread). You'd hope it's being shown here too.

Top_Cat

The leadership point is a good one. Clarke has always been the chosen one, but does anyone find him to have a good tactical mind? I can only judge him on his limited overs experience, but Clarke has never struck me as a brilliant cricketing mind. He doesn't strike me as a real leader either. Australia have a long history of strong willed characters. With Australia going through a tough period Clarke doesn't seem to have the character to pull the team from a slump.

He will still be next Test captain.
When talking of his captaincy experience, keep hearing about when he captained the U/19's around 2000 to the WC. They did well but considering the line-up (Clarke, Watto, Johnson, Hauritz, Shaun Marsh, etc.), probably should have done better than cleaning up the lesser teams but getting dudded by other top teams like India or Sri Lanka. Brings up questions about whether he's able to get the best out of the blokes under him.

EDIT: Just had a quick browse of the scorecards, anyone know what happened to Tim Welsford?

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
When talking of his captaincy experience, keep hearing about when he captained the U/19's around 2000 to the WC. They did well but considering the line-up (Clarke, Watto, Johnson, Hauritz, Shaun Marsh, etc.), probably should have done better than cleaning up the lesser teams but getting dudded by other top teams like India or Sri Lanka. Brings up questions about whether he's able to get the best out of the blokes under him.

EDIT: Just had a quick browse of the scorecards, anyone know what happened to Tim Welsford?
Still played Victorian Premier Cricket up until this season. Just never cut it. Jack would've played against him a few times; he'll be able to tell you more.

Last edited: