• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Tendulkar vs Ponting Thread

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I am totally not reading this but Ponting did go up quite a bit in my eyes this past series. He didn't get a big score, but he looked comfortable, which he has never looked before in India.

Good for him.
Yeah this, especially the 2nd innings in Bangalore, though Harbhajan was unlucky not to get him LBW early on.

Tom 1972

School Boy/Girl Captain
I guess us fanatics all value different things. That's why there are >1 million posts on this forum...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Ikki - did you again mention Sachin's average against 2Ws? I mean AGAIN? Didn't you see that Sachin was getting out to Saqlain (3 times), Mushtaq Ahmed (1), run out (1) and Akhtar (1).

Please don't selectively ignore posts. If you have to make a case against Tendulkar, you have better chances if you stick to McGrath and Donald. 2Ws didn't make it very hard for Sachin to score over their entire careers.

And another post that you ignored was the one regarding man of series award that Sachin won in Aus in 99 when McGrath played.
Well, given that Sachin faced the Ws in 89 and after that only in 99 means he never really faced them at their peak. As such it is a disservice to all 3 greats if you are to be rating any of them based on those...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Ikki - did you again mention Sachin's average against 2Ws? I mean AGAIN? Didn't you see that Sachin was getting out to Saqlain (3 times), Mushtaq Ahmed (1), run out (1) and Akhtar (1).

Please don't selectively ignore posts. If you have to make a case against Tendulkar, you have better chances if you stick to McGrath and Donald. 2Ws didn't make it very hard for Sachin to score over their entire careers.

And another post that you ignored was the one regarding man of series award that Sachin won in Aus in 99 when McGrath played.
Well, given that Sachin faced the Ws in 89 and after that only in 99 means he never really faced them at their peak. As such it is a disservice to all 3 greats if you are to be rating any of them based on those...

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
He was given an absolute working over by Ishant in that series..
I believe we were discussing his play against spin in 08, well at least thats what I was talking about. But who the hell knows what goes on around here sometimes! The plot goes out the door so often its hard to keep track.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, and its interesting to note that if anything, Lara has played better in the latter half of his career when his team has been worse.
I am not sure about others, but for me, it is ALWAYS difficult to be the lone star for a weak team, esp. if the team is already used to winning. Just watch Pontng these days, tbh. :p

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I believe we were discussing his play against spin in 08, well at least thats what I was talking about. But who the hell knows what goes on around here sometimes! The plot goes out the door so often its hard to keep track.
lol.. I agree with you completely but trust me, aussie ain't gonna accept that.

The problem with comparing averages against W and W is that they didn't play them in the same year or something.Tendu played only one full series against W and W as a 16 yr old in 1989 and wasn't unduly troubled.He only played a test or two against them a whole decade or so later,that includes that Chennai masterpiece.

Ftr,Ricky only played one test against W and W and scored 2 ducks!

And btw,both Ws rate Tendu higher.Wasim rates Tendu alongside Viv and Sunny as the "unbowlable" batsman of hir era or something along those lines.

Amby and Walsh-again Tendu only played one series in WI.Averaged 57 or something.

Against McGrath-Tendu played 2 full series-MOS in Aus 99 and averaged 50 in Ind 01.

Against Donald-Tendu played him well enough for Donald to come out and say that he was the best batsman he had bowled to,in 02.(Ponting was not even mentioned by Donald I think,Lara and Waugh were)

Now coming to out and out pacers-

Bond-again,neither played him much but Ponting did better.However,Tendu played Bond in that 03 series in Nz and anyone who saw that series would know the kind of pitches they got on that tour,incomparable to what Punter played Bond on.

Akhtar-Ponting played him better imo.

Then you could also add Lee who Tendu played very well indeed.

Steyn-remains to be seen.

Imo,most objective,technical and statistical measures would have Tendu over Punter.Wisden in 02 rated Tendu as the second best test batsman and the greatest ODI batsman.If you were to make a World eleven,Tendu would make it more often than not(he was the only modern day player in Bradman's eleven).Ponting may or may not make even the Aus AT side.That doesn't mean Punter isn't great obv,he is probably in the top 3 Aus batsmen after Bradman.
Anyway,this is a never ending debate.I don't think even Tendu and Ponting care this much about who the better batsman is.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
I honestly think there is hardly anything between Tendulkar and Ponting, or Lara. All of the statistical analyses are flawed in one way or another, so you always end up with a considerable amount of error/uncertainty.

I think easily the best way of making comparisons is by observation. My summary based on watching them would be that Tendulkar overall is the better batsman (because he is more consistently good - just take a look at his batting graph). However, that being said I think if you compared both players at their peaks, Ponting would just pip Tendulkar. Ponting is a simply wonderful batsman to watch when he is in full flight and form.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lara is better looking than Sachin and Ponting tbh. That's how I separate them.

Look at that smile:

bagapath

International Captain
I can't believe this thread is still active. didn't this argument get sorted out some time ago once and for all?

over the years we've had:

sachin vs lara - which was the longest running and most legit debate of all. it is still unresolved.
then
sachin vs inzi and sachin vs s.waugh went on for brief periods. sachin emerged winner on both occasions.

even sachin vs de silva and sachin vs dravid were alive for a while but they were not real, serious debates.

then sachin vs ponting went on for close to six, seven years with ponting winning some small battles for a few solid consecutive years. but the war is over now and , at the end of it all, sachin, once again, has come out on top.

time to start sachin vs sehwag now. But if you are not interested in it you can always go back to the first debate. BCL vs SRT is the real match up for the crown of modern batsmanship.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sachin has the girliest voice of the three, though. A bit like Bradman. :happy:

DeusEx : If you're talking of peaks, it'd have to be Lara..

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I can't believe this thread is still active. didn't this argument get sorted out some time ago once and for all?

over the years we've had:

sachin vs lara - which was the longest running and most legit debate of all. it is still unresolved.
then
sachin vs inzi and sachin vs s.waugh went on for brief periods. sachin emerged winner on both occasions.

even sachin vs de silva and sachin vs dravid were alive for a while but they were not real, serious debates.

thensachin vs ponting went on for close to six, seven years with ponting winning some small battles for a few solid consecuttive years. but the war is over now and , at the end of it all, sachin, once again, has come out on top.

time to start sachin vs sehwag now. But if you are not interested in itm you can always go back to the first debate in this list.

BCL vs SRT is the real match up for the crown of modern batsmanship.
Ikki gonna kill somebody!

Ruckus

International Captain
thensachin vs ponting went on for close to six, seven years with ponting winning some small battles for a few solid consecuttive years. but the war is over now and , at the end of it all, sachin, once again, has come out on top.
You're probably correct, but I wouldn't write Ponting off just yet.