• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

Woodster

International Captain
So let's play North, who averages a whole 3 runs more at fc level with the bat and is a part-time bowler

Give me a break!
Never even mentioned North!

Although think he's scored more Test centuries than McDonald would had he played a number of Test matches more.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
An interesting stat for you

McDonald has a better fc BATTING RECORD than Eion Morgan!!!!!

Any converts yet?

Jarquis

Watson
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Khawaja
North
McDonald
Haddin
Johnson
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger

North could possibly be an afforded luxury in that lineup. If he tons up, he tons up. With two more consistent players either side of him the risk of collapse is greatly reduced. Haddin bats below McDonald as I reckon he has the better game suited to batting with the tail, can pile on some quick runs.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Dont embarrass yourself by comparing him to those hacks - Oz won 3/4 test matches with him in the side and he'd bring much needed consistency
Teams can win series carrying weak links in a side like McDonald was in all of test he played for AUS. Perfect example of this was the 2001 Ashes, with AUS basically carrying Brett Lee throughout that series when the better option in Damien Fleming should have been picked.

McDonald is comparable to all those English hacks in the sense that none of them are good enough @ test level as all-rounders. Although i did acknowledge i think he is better than most of them (comparable to Capel only).

The only reason McDonald was able to keep it tight in SA, was because of how superb Johnson/Hifly/Siddle bowled in the 1st two test. Especially Johnson who shocked them with amount of inswing he got in SA - they certainly wouldn't have expected that based on what they faced from him in AUS. The SA batsmen where never in a position to be able to take of advantage of McDonald since he was an obvious weaklink, until the final test @ Capetown when they got accustomed to the AUS pace trio on flat pitch & absolutely slaughtered McDonald.

After Bollinger got injured, Nannes should have been called up & would have certainly been more destructive as part of a 4-man pace attack in those SA conditions.

While on his debut although his bowlinG was commendable. Giving AUS the 5-man attack that was lacking in Perth & MCG tests (given the selectors made the poor choice of picking Krejza & Haurtiz as part of 4-man attacks during the 1st two tests). His batting was never good enough to play @ # 6, so he made the balance of the side poor.

Thankfully in that SCG test & series except for Hayden & Hussey all the AUS batsmen handled the SA bowlers well. Johnson finally got bowling support with Siddle steeping up . Thus they all played well enough to cover for the deficiences McDonald brought to the team balance in that test.

Woodster

International Captain
An interesting stat for you

McDonald has a better fc BATTING RECORD than Eion Morgan!!!!!

Any converts yet?
I'm pretty sure there are plenty of batsman around that average more than Morgan. He was never picked on the basis of having a great first-class average, but is identified as being made of the right stuff. Young men like Morgan are at times picked on potential, when you are McDonald's age it's clear potential has not been enough for you, therefore excellent stats are required.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
So let's play North, who averages a whole 3 runs more at fc level with the bat and is a part-time bowler

Give me a break!
North should be dropped of course. Just pick 6 pure batsmen, keeper & 4 quicks.

Watson
Hughes
Ponting
Clarke
Katich
Hussey/Khawaja
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Hilfy
Doug

Simple. Cant go wrong with this team once all are fit.

Woodster

International Captain
Watson
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Khawaja
North
McDonald
Haddin
Johnson
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger

North could possibly be an afforded luxury in that lineup. If he tons up, he tons up. With two more consistent players either side of him the risk of collapse is greatly reduced. Haddin bats below McDonald as I reckon he has the better game suited to batting with the tail, can pile on some quick runs.
If McDonald was to be shoehorned into the side, would imagine that is where he'd go. However, Haddin too low there, and a lack of penetration in the bowling attack for me. Don't think it massively increases the batting line-up to warrant Haddin at 8, and lessens the penetration bowling-wise, although may offer a modicum of control.

social

Teams can win series carrying weak links in a side like McDonald was in all of test he played for AUS. Perfect example of this was the 2001 Ashes, with AUS basically carrying Brett Lee throughout that series when the better option in Damien Fleming should have been picked.

McDonald is comparable to all those English hacks in the sense that none of them are good enough @ test level as all-rounders. Although i did acknowledge i think he is better than most of them (comparable to Capel only).

The only reason McDonald was able to keep it tight in SA, was because of how superb Johnson/Hifly/Siddle bowled in the 1st two test. Especially Johnson who shocked them with amount of inswing he got in SA - they certainly wouldn't have expected that based on what they faced from him in AUS. The SA batsmen where never in a position to be able to take of advantage of McDonald since he was an obvious weaklink, until the final test @ Capetown when they got accustomed to the AUS pace trio on flat pitch & absolutely slaughtered McDonald.

After Bollinger got injured, Nannes should have been called up & would have certainly been more destructive as part of a 4-man pace attack in those SA conditions.

While on his debut although his bowlinG was commendable. Giving AUS the 5-man attack that was lacking in Perth & MCG tests (given the selectors made the poor choice of picking Krejza & Haurtiz as part of 4-man attacks during the 1st two tests). His batting was never good enough to play @ # 6, so he made the balance of the side poor.

Thankfully in that SCG test & series except for Hayden & Hussey all the AUS batsmen handled the SA bowlers well. Johnson finally got bowling support with Siddle steeping up . Thus they all played well enough to cover for the deficiences McDonald brought to the team balance in that test.
He provided balance

Ponting is desperately in need of someone he can throw the ball to and say "give me 20 overs for 50/60 runs."

He needs someoneone to bat with a bit of spine and who wont chip the ball to mid-wicket and walk off in full knowledge that his place is safe for the next test

The guy's a winner at all levels and he, or someone like him, is who we desperately need

social

North should be dropped of course. Just pick 6 pure batsmen, keeper & 4 quicks.

Watson
Hughes
Ponting
Clarke
Katich
Hussey/Khawaja
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Hilfy
Doug

Simple. Cant go wrong with this team once all are fit.
Johnson's batting is now in the bunny class and Hilf doesnt take enough wickets - harsh but fair

Jarquis

2010 hasn't been a great year for Johnson tbh. 155 runs @ 11.07 with a HS of 47 and then 29 wickets @ 33.82, two 5fers.

Jarquis

He'd walk into the Eng side at home (Bresnan ffs!), not just Oz, NZ and WI - pretty simple I'd have thought
Bresnan doesn't actually play. He'd be in the squad for sure though, whether he'd play or not is another matter... England management seem pretty happy with the 4 bowler tactic, so he'd be battling it out with Finn I guess.
Remember Morgan only played because Bell was injured as well.

Woodster

International Captain
He provided balance

Ponting is desperately in need of someone he can throw the ball to and say "give me 20 overs for 50/60 runs."

He needs someoneone to bat with a bit of spine and who wont chip the ball to mid-wicket and walk off in full knowledge that his place is safe for the next test

The guy's a winner at all levels and he, or someone like him, is who we desperately need
Not too sure there are many of these players around though. And if he bats in the top 6, needs to do more than not chip the ball to mid-wicket, and if he's 7 or 8 probably needs to do more than bowl 20 overs for 60 runs.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
He provided balance

Sorry. He doesn't provide balance, he unbalances the side in every way possible you can think of.

I cant see McDonald providing that kind of accuracy againts good opposition consistently. As i alread said, Ryan Harris can be a sort of metronomical bowler who Ponting can use in a 4-man attack to do that role. But most importantly Harris is FARR more potent wicket taking threat & that at then end of the day, is what bowlers get picked for in general.

The none spine bat in the team is obviously North. Just get rid of him, bring back Hughes, drop Katich into the middle, possinly also bring in Khawaja & i expect that the middle-order will have more solidity to it again. The collapses will be significantly decreased.

AUS certainly desperately dont need McDonald in any way. Better players are available all across the board.

Jarquis

Not too sure there are many of these players around though. And if he bats in the top 6, needs to do more than not chip the ball to mid-wicket, and if he's 7 or 8 probably needs to do more than bowl 20 overs for 60 runs.
If he bats at 7 then that's perfectly fine IMO... especially when Hilfenhaus gets a free pass to do it at 10.

I know he's not blonde but he's a better cricketer in ever aspect than Broad

Play the stats not the popularity component
lolBroadpopular

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
He'd walk into the Eng side at home (Bresnan ffs!), not just Oz, NZ and WI - pretty simple I'd have thought
No he wouldn't. He would become a viable option at number 7, promoting Prior to 6, but would not walk into the side by any stretch.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Johnson's batting is now in the bunny class and Hilf doesnt take enough wickets - harsh but fair
Johnson has had a average year with the bat indeed. But its not an area where i think we should be too worried about TBH. I reckon he will always contribute enough with the blade when AUS need him - more often than he wont.

Hilfy is doing fine ATM. Its only a matter of time, before we start his wicket-taking out put increases & he see his first 5 wicket haul. Since he has already proved he can be dangerous not when the ball is swinging - but on flat pitches too.