• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sehwag weak against shortball : johnson

Spark

Global Moderator
Nah you have to walk when you play a ball as pathetically like that. More embarrassing to stand there and see the finger.

Best to just get out of there and hide.
That's my thought too. He started walking as soon as it went up, didn't look at either the umpire or Dhoni at all, didn't even wait for the catch to trudge back head bowed. Think he knew immediately just how ******** it was and wanted to get away before he heard the laughter.

There was a shot a few hours later of Langer (who better than to tell him how to deal with aggressive short-pitched bowling?) and him going over back foot play so my hope is that he'll work feverishly on it. Thing with Clarke is that it is significantly mindset with him, you can tell fairly quickly how he's going to do in an innings by how settled he looks mentally.

However, if he gets his head screwed on right and gets his back foot play back to his usual standards then I don't see a huge problem with short-pitched bowling - IMO it's not his primary weakness, not by a longshot.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Shewag averaged more than any batsman in the ind vs nz series in 2003 where pitches were greentops ,Shewag scored a run a ball century in his debut in sa on a seaming track ,his performances in australia are great,its just plain bull**** you are writting with out stating any facts.In same vein Ponting,Hayden peak in 2002-2005 was filled with runs against mediocore bowling attacks.
Their is so much inaccurate stuff in this post i dont even no where to start.

But as my position stands, not that i dont want to respond, but given you are a new memeber i wont be having a Sehwag debate on this site anymore, since i personally will repeating to you the same things i have said over & over. Thus for me, ATS it has becoming boring.

Altaican

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Pitch wasnt lively in 99, it rained every ay of that test, so more overhead conditions contributing to bowling success. Australia batted fairly easily from memory, Gilchrist and Ponting had a great partnership in between rain breaks. Actually that was the match Gangily refused to leave the crease after being bowled by Blewett, he just stood there and wanted to watch the reply, quite funny!
As far as I remember the only time Indians encountered a true lifter in Australia from 1999 till their last tour in 2007 was in a couple of ODIs at Perth in 2003. One match was against Australia and the other was against Zimbabwe. There was some serious lift in those 2 matches. Even the top-order batsmen struggled to cope with the bounce. A vicious lifter from Heath Streak struck Tendulkar on it's way to the boundary for 4 leg-byes. Dravid said later it was the bounciest wicket he had played on. It was difficult batting. India barely managed to get home even though it was chasing just 130-odd against Zimbabwe.

Sehwag might be very uncomfortable against bounce but I am not sure if any of the fast bowlers, in the current conditions of wickets and rules are good enough (in pace or lift) to take advantage of that weakness. He is also mentally very tough and positive. Always looking to score and just blocking out the previous delivery from his mind. Current lot of fast bowlers aren't that mentally strong or aggressive or persistent.

Another such wicket was when India faced South Africa in Durban in 1996-97. Tendulkar, back then, called it the bounciest wicket he played on. India (with Tendulkar, Azhar, Dravid, Ganguly) were skittled out for 100 and 66. Dravid was very good that series. Had a lot of time to play despite the fast conditions, should have gotten many more runs than he did in that series, although he did good. They should have won the third Test match in Johanesburg though (rain didn't help them).

Even RSA-Pak series had very bouncy wickets in 97-98. Both teams had great fast bowling attacks. I remember both the matches finishing with time to spare even though there was no play on some sessions because of rain. Saeed Anwar looked phenomenal in that series, but unnecessarily threw his wicket away on a lot of occasions.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Sehwag might be very uncomfortable against bounce but I am not sure if any of the fast bowlers, in the current conditions of wickets and rules are good enough (in pace or lift) to take advantage of that weakness. He is also mentally very tough and positive. Always looking to score and just blocking out the previous delivery from his mind. Current lot of fast bowlers aren't that mentally strong or aggressive or persistent.
A bit harsh on modern day fast-bowlers that. Looking ahead of India's 20011 tours to SA, Windies & England. If bouncy pitches are present & all 3 of those teams have their best bowlers available i can certainly see all of Steyn, Morkel, Taylor, Roach, Edwards, Broad testing him in that area.

Plus the entire AUS pace attack on quick pitch, especially someone like Johnson who thrives in such conditions.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Touching wood here as there's still one more innings to go in this series, but given Sehwag's recent run of form, he does seem to have been kept relatively quiet, and a lot of that has been the Aussies' short balls IMO.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Touching wood here as there's still one more innings to go in this series, but given Sehwag's recent run of form, he does seem to have been kept relatively quiet, and a lot of that has been the Aussies' short balls IMO.
Come on dude, even the naughty smilie is disappointed at the lack of challenge.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldn't read too much into it. This last dismissal was to a ball that hardly bounced up to the waist level. It was the change in pace, if you like, that got him. More accurate would be to hold Sehwag's intent to hit away everything responsible.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wouldn't read too much into it. This last dismissal was to a ball that hardly bounced up to the waist level. It was the change in pace, if you like, that got him. More accurate would be to hold Sehwag's intent to hit away everything responsible.
Meh, only following on Cricinfo which described it as a slower bouncer. No coincidence that he holed out to square leg a ball after he got sconed, though.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, well done to the Aussies. Clearly they had a plan against Sehwag, stuck to it and pulled it off.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Meh, only following on Cricinfo which described it as a slower bouncer. No coincidence that he holed out to square leg a ball after he got sconed, though.
See, I think it was. The ball was so slow and short, it was asking to be put into the stands.

He got done in by it being so slow and it held up on him.

Ah well, happy to disagree with people.

If anything, it's an unconventional way to say someone got done in by the short ball.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
See, I think it was. The ball was so slow and short, it was asking to be put into the stands.

If anything, it's an unconventional way to say someone got done in by the short ball.
Pretty common against a guy who's eyes are spinning to give him a sucker ball, though. We'll never know but it's plausible.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
A bit harsh on modern day fast-bowlers that. Looking ahead of India's 20011 tours to SA, Windies & England. If bouncy pitches are present & all 3 of those teams have their best bowlers available i can certainly see all of Steyn, Morkel, Taylor, Roach, Edwards, Broad testing him in that area.

Plus the entire AUS pace attack on quick pitch, especially someone like Johnson who thrives in such conditions.
Migara the android looking forward to see Sehwag the android play cricket on planet X581:ph34r:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member

Well yes, clearly it wasn't a dismissal; that is an example of a batsmen looking uncomfortable againts the short ball. Like his 1st test dismissals, being caught fending off to gully, leg-slip/gully, short leg.

But the dismissal highlights as i've said before that has really been known for years. Tha any form of short-pitched bowling tactic @ the body againts him, is certainly worth it, Since he doesn't play the pull & hook shorts well at all

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Bowling short at the body is a good tactic. Said it before this series in this very thread. No doubt about it.

Bowling slow half track bouncers with a solitary deep square leg and hoping he hits it to him isn't the same thing though. Sehwag was outsmarted yes. He wasn't bounced out though. Not in the 2nd test IMO anyway.

Overall though, yes short bowling has prevented him from getting away. So Australia have done well.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Bowling slow half track bouncers with a solitary deep square leg and hoping he hits it to him isn't the same thing though. Sehwag was outsmarted yes. He wasn't bounced out though. Not in the 2nd test IMO anyway.
Precisely.

Also bowling short against Sehwag might be a good strategy because he will go at short balls even if you place a fielder at deep point or deep square leg. But that's more to do with his aggressive intent than his 'weakness'. He is not as bad as a Raina or Rohit Sharama against the short ball. He wouldn't have scored so many runs with so many big scores if he had such a big and obvious weakness.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I must admit the Australian plan has worked. It doesnt matter how much he scores in the 4rth innings now..it has worked 3 times out of 4 and that is a success.

I think other fast bowlers around the world should pick up on what worked for the Australians..

What surprises me though is..the short pitched stuff at the body worked for them on Indian pitches that are meant to be flat but did not work when Sehwag was smashing centuries in Australia where the pitches offer more bounce?