• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

Spark

Global Moderator
Read through Eng's squad and my first reaction was that there is no chance that that group of bowlers would cause Oz any problems whatsoever

Then I remebered it was 2010 not 2000 and our batsmen have sucked for the last 2 years
I compare the 2006/7 middle order in context to the current ones and I feel oh so wistful.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hmm, wouldn't mind seeing Tremlett in the side instead of Finn come day 1, hope he goes well in the warmups. Unleash Finn later in the series
Finn should be carrying drinks all series unless someone gets injured IMO - he won't though; he'll play the first Test.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
My strategy for Ashes victory: play Eoin Morgan and drop Alastair Cook | Duncan Fletcher | Sport | The Guardian

Interesting. I think Morgan will definitely get a go at some point in the series. One of Cook, Trott, or Collingwood could face the axe if they fail in the first couple of Tests. Or Bell.
Morgan's shown he's quite good at withstanding pressure and rising to the occasion. What he's yet to show is that he's good at batting when there's someone standing in the slips.

Morgan for Cook doesn't sound the worst idea until you realise that it also means Trott opening and Bell batting three. If Morgan is better than Cook - and that's certainly a big if - it's certainly not by a margin big enough to hamstring two other players by so much like that.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Morgan's shown he's quite good at withstanding pressure and rising to the occasion. What he's yet to show is that he's good at batting when there's someone standing in the slips.

Morgan for Cook doesn't sound the worst idea until you realise that it also means Trott opening and Bell batting three. If Morgan is better than Cook - and that's certainly a big if - it's certainly not by a margin big enough to hamstring two other players by so much like that.
True. I think he has a better chance of getting in at Colly or Bell's expense.

Uppercut

I'd expect Cook's technique to fare quite well in Australia anyway, now that he's not up against such a good attack.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd expect Cook's technique to fare quite well in Australia anyway, now that he's not up against such a good attack.
His original technique - maybe. Now that he's tried to change it and has no idea what he's doing, I dunno.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Yeah agree with Uppercut, he might nick out regularly but he'll probably still peel off a ton or two this series.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
The sad thing is that I don't think Cook has notably improved since 06/07. The only positive being that the Aus bowling attack is now somewhat journyman-like compared to 06/07.

I would play Morgan. He offers something different and seems to disturb the rythm of bowlers. Another county cricket clone a' la Bell is not neeeded.

tooextracool

International Coach
Would it have really proven much if he performed though?
Possibly. The thing about bowling is that if you bowl a really good ball, it is a good ball against anyone and it can be reproduced against anyone. For example, anybody who bothered to watch the Bangladesh test series in the build up to the Ashes in 2005 would have made the observation that if Simon Jones was going to continue bowling like he did that summer he would take a hatful against the Aussies. Of course most people, including the majority of the Australian squad chose to ignore him and focused on Harmison and Flintoff.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach

Uppercut

It's true. McGrath was so adaptable though. In pitch-it-up conditions he'd pitch it up.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
What?.

Top_Cat said:
Yeah agree with Uppercut, he might nick out regularly but he'll probably still peel off a ton or two this series.
Ha. Not sure how after seeing Cook struggle againts the SA & PAK attacks recently, how you or anyone can come this conclusion.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Read through Eng's squad and my first reaction was that there is no chance that that group of bowlers would cause Oz any problems whatsoever

Then I remebered it was 2010 not 2000 and our batsmen have sucked for the last 2 years
Indeed. Since the 2007/08, the AUS batsmen have developed an alarming tendancy to have dumb batting collapses. Which is basically ENGs only chance really to stay in the Ashes, that hopefully this trend continues. But if AUS bat to potential for once - ENG will struggle to take 20 wickets & stay in the Ashes.