• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

No UDRS for India-Australia Tests

G.I.Joe

International Coach
just a complete stonewall from the BCCI to not allow the players to use the system.
I don't think we can state with certainty that its the BCCI not wanting UDRS to be implemented. I can't think of a reason why they themselves would be against it. From what the players have to say, it seems to be a case of the board going along with what the senior players want. Its strange that a handful of players seem to have that much of a say in it.

Sir Alex

Banned
I don't think we can state with certainty that its the BCCI not wanting UDRS to be implemented. I can't think of a reason why they themselves would be against it. From what the players have to say, it seems to be a case of the board going along with what the senior players want. Its strange that a handful of players seem to have that much of a say in it.
Exactly. and from what I know Sachin is against implementing the same, which is perhaps the only thing I disagree with him.

Jayzamann

International Regular
Kinda think it's a good thing that the crosshairs will be on the BCCI and not the presiding umpires if and when Indian wickets fall to incorrect decisions at pivotal stages in these test matches.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If Sachin is anti it (and, in all fairness this thread is the first I'd heard of it) one hopes the karma gods see him sawn off LBW after middling one into his pads.

The following schissestorm would be fun as an interested neutral.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Brumby wanting something favourable to happen to the Australian cricket team is disappointing to say the least :ph34r:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
If Sachin is anti it (and, in all fairness this thread is the first I'd heard of it) one hopes the karma gods see him sawn off LBW after middling one into his pads.
But hot spot is what would be used in that case, and he's fine with it. He's only anti-hawk eye :p He'd probably be okay with UDRS if it didn't include hawk eye.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Think the more important question is why should it matter if Sachin is anti-UDRS. He's not the captain or vice-captain. Would certainly hope that that's not one of the reasons behind the BCCI's refusal.

Sir Alex

Banned
Think the more important question is why should it matter if Sachin is anti-UDRS. He's not the captain or vice-captain. Would certainly hope that that's not one of the reasons behind the BCCI's refusal.
You have no idea how big Sachin is.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I believe BCCI's aim is to keep allowing umpires to make howlers (e.g Micromax final) in a hope that the ICC will do away with umpires altogether :D

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You have no idea how big Sachin is.
No, I get it. But - assuming that Sachin's mistrust of the system is a factor in the BCCI's decision - it looks very poor for a board to basically go along with what one player says. Hopefully it's more of the case that it's the playing group as a whole voting against it, rather than just one man. Would be like Kallis or Warne rocking up to a selection meeting; definitely, they're big, important players, but unless you're in an official position of power, you shouldn't be having much of a say over a big decision like this.

Not trying to make an anti- India/Sachin post here, just saying that I think it's a bit of poor form, were that to be the case. As it is, I imagine that there'd surely have to be more to it than their star player saying he doesn't like it.

Daemon

No, I get it. But - assuming that Sachin's mistrust of the system is a factor in the BCCI's decision - it looks very poor for a board to basically go along with what one player says. Hopefully it's more of the case that it's the playing group as a whole voting against it, rather than just one man. Would be like Kallis or Warne rocking up to a selection meeting; definitely, they're big, important players, but unless you're in an official position of power, you shouldn't be having much of a say over a big decision like this.

Not trying to make an anti- India/Sachin post here, just saying that I think it's a bit of poor form, were that to be the case. As it is, I imagine that there'd surely have to be more to it than their star player saying he doesn't like it.
You have no idea how ****ed up the BCCI is

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If Sachin doesn't want it because it has hawk-eye, and the BCCI and the rest of the team do want it, but fold because Sachin says so, then it may be an issue.

But if your best batsman feels (for some reason) that a system is more likely to result in him being out... then it becomes in the team's best interests to not go for it.

Isn't really that preposterous tbh.

Sir Alex

Banned

If Sachin doesn't want it because it has hawk-eye, and the BCCI and the rest of the team do want it, but fold because Sachin says so, then it may be an issue.

But if your best batsman feels (for some reason) that a system is more likely to result in him being out... then it becomes in the team's best interests to not go for it.

Isn't really that preposterous tbh.
What Jono said.

Sachin has time and again reiterated his distrust in Hawk Eye, especially after the SL series in 08, where many felt that some decisions which looked clearly not out somehow ended up being given out (I am taking a neutral stance here) there was something with HawkEye due to which it couldn't pick the line and bounce of deliveries particularly those delivered by spinners.

Thing is HaEy has come quite a few way since then, has been recalibrated and perfected, and last few series in which it was used surely shows it is indeed something which can be counted on. Perhaps Sachin & others aren't aware of it. And as Jono said, they'd obviously back their own players in such a conflict, especially when the players are of the calibre of Sachin.

I think if ICC is any serious about implementing this across all formats, it has to get BCCI's backing too. For that they should arrange some meetings with BCCI and it's senior players and demonstrate the benefits of HE and UDRS in general. I am fairly sure a comprehensive FAQ session can dispel HE fears of the senior Indian batsmen and thereby that of BCCI's. :cool:

Daemon

Then there'd be riots between SRT and MSD fans. Fans of both would....spontaneously combust?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Personally thing Sachin should be given out LBW with the ball clearly going down legside, and then he'll want hawkeye in play.

Of course he should be on 430 at the time, so it won't impact India too much :ph34r: