• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Waqar Younis vs. Glenn McGrath vs. Shoaib Akhtar

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
All right mate. Every test batsman born since 1975 has bucked the physiological trend of human existence and has gone backwards

They don't adjust to difficult conditions because it's so rare that they face them. If you play on predominantly flat pitches for 4 years, and play one series in that time in harder conditions, of course you'll struggle..
This wasn't the case with the likes of Ponting & Dravid for eg during the 2000s era @ their peak. They would dominate good or joke attacks on roads just like other average batsmen for years - but when the bowling & conditons got tough - they adjusted & stepped up accordingly. While other average batsmen (whose records where inflated by runs againts joke attacks on roads) would struggle.

But if you bat for the rest of the time like you're playing in tough conditions - that is, be more circumspect, play the ball later and dont be as aggressive, then you won't see the tough conditions in 4 years' time because you'll get dropped along the way as other batsmen who score faster and score as many runs replace you.
Do you have any actual player/match example in the 2000s era of this scenario?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Here's a couple, not exhaustive though;

Chris Rogers, never selected again.
Greg Blewett, dropped pretty much because Hayden is a bigger hitter.
Martin Love.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach

Martin Love.
Pretty sure Blewett was dropped for being mediocre for a consistent period of time. The sight of Blewett opening the batting makes me cringe.

Top_Cat

His form wasn't great towards the end but he was hamstrung by having to be the straight man in his partnership with Slater. The guy opened most of his career with SA and was a stroke-maker. Having to hang around just wasn't really him.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
But that's because they are a product of their time. Players these days pick the first line and play through it. Not because they lack the ability to do otherwise, but because that's the modern game.

Had ODIs and T20s not come about, do you reckon today's players wouldn't be more circumspect? Likewise, if they grew up in conditions where the ball moved around a lot, I think they'd play well in it. I don't think batsmen born after 1975 are just a generation born with less ability. They just have adjusted to the game and the preponderance of conditions around now.
The post of mine which you quoted and then wrote the above was in reply to the question of what is wrong with batsman's technique today to suggest that they'd have struggled in the 80's or 90's, and the answer is quite clear in that the technique of many of the prolific batsman of today are found out in less than perfect conditions.
I don't particularly disagree that some would have adapted to a different era had they played in it. But that's all conjecture, whereas the flaws in their technique isn't.

Uppercut

They aren't flaws, though. They're differences that make them better at scoring runs today but worse at scoring runs should they ever decide to jump in a time machine.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Still no answer as to why McGrath isn't afforded extra credit for bowling on unhelpful home decks.

Matt79

Global Moderator
All right mate. Every test batsman born since 1975 has bucked the physiological trend of human existence and has gone backwards.

They don't adjust to difficult conditions because it's so rare that they face them. If you play on predominantly flat pitches for 4 years, and play one series in that time in harder conditions, of course you'll struggle.

But if you bat for the rest of the time like you're playing in tough conditions - that is, be more circumspect, play the ball later and dont be as aggressive, then you won't see the tough conditions in 4 years' time because you'll get dropped along the way as other batsmen who score faster and score as many runs replace you.
This. People progress by demonstrating the skills that are most useful for the circumstances they are normally confronted with. In these days of five day pitches and batsman-weighted conditions, the batsmen that prosper are the formula one cars. When the odd rally stage comes up, of course they look all at sea. The same is true in reverse. You take any of the old-time players who we revere for their perfect techniques and drop them into today's game, they'd get pillorised for being stodgy and hurting the teams scoring rate. Times change, the game changes.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Still no answer as to why McGrath isn't afforded extra credit for bowling on unhelpful home decks.
AUS decks during McGrath although pitches in AUS did get flatter - wasn't unhelpul @ all gorunds all the time

- Basically every Brisbane test during McGrath peak (97-2006) had assitance for the bowlers for example.

- While the likes of MCG, SCG, Perth, Hobart fluctuated every season between being flat & bowler friendly.

- Only adelaide was always a batting beauty (unhelpul). But of course McGrath given he could reverse the ball on flat surfaces still manged to be effective there.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member

Martin Love.

- Rogers one test pefromace hardly proved anything. Based on what i've seen of him in county cricket, he certainly would open in tests for a few other sides in WC with ease (ENG, WI, NZ, SRI, PAK), even though he aint a big hitting type opener. He could very well @ still play for AUS again @ 35+ & have a good few years like Katich has currently, if he keeps up his FC performances in ENG & AUS.

- Blewett was dropped more because he was technically exposed & drop him. Lets not forget Blewettt is a 90s baby & as i recall after his 214 vs SA @ Jo'Burg 97, he regularly looked troubled by quality new-ball/pace bowling, whether he was opening or batting in the middle-order. He just wasn't that good @ test level after his good start.

- Love was just unlucky. Him not being a big/hitter doesn't change that he was a very good palyer. Made his debut as you should recall @ MCG 02 was Lehmann's injury replacement & contiuned to look good vs WI @ Antigua & vs BANG. Its just that come the 03/04 summer Martyn returned & Katich was stepping - he lost his place due to superior competition around. Would have played for & done well for a few other test teams @ his peak IMO. Love's stituation is very similar to Stuart Law.

Their is no example of big hitting opener/batsman dominating a quality pace attack in bowler friendly conditons in big/hitting mode really in the 2000s. What we had is most FTBs struggling in such conditons (they few times it arised) - then going back to being gods on roads.

They only player who adjusted his game as i said before was Hayden from the Oval test & vs SA 05/06 & IND 07/08. He certainly played those innings more circumspectly compared this bullymode days of Mumbai 01 to Cairns 04.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
The post of mine which you quoted and then wrote the above was in reply to the question of what is wrong with batsman's technique today to suggest that they'd have struggled in the 80's or 90's, and the answer is quite clear in that the technique of many of the prolific batsman of today are found out in less than perfect conditions.
I don't particularly disagree that some would have adapted to a different era had they played in it. But that's all conjecture, whereas the flaws in their technique isn't.
Exactly.

Uppercut said:
They aren't flaws, though. They're differences that make them better at scoring runs today but worse at scoring runs should they ever decide to jump in a time machine.

Matt79 said:
This. People progress by demonstrating the skills that are most useful for the circumstances they are normally confronted with. In these days of five day pitches and batsman-weighted conditions, the batsmen that prosper are the formula one cars. When the odd rally stage comes up, of course they look all at sea. The same is true in reverse. You take any of the old-time players who we revere for their perfect techniques and drop them into today's game, they'd get pillorised for being stodgy and hurting the teams scoring rate. Times change, the game changes.
Totally DWTA TBF.

Firslty from you start talking about non-existant things like "time machines" haa to defend modern day FTBs, you are going to far & it is anothe one of the age old defenses used on CW. Although an educated assumption, you can judge whether batsman X of this FTB era would have been able to average Y (whether higher or lower) in the 90s. Based on the few on 90s like scenario's (difficult batting conditions vs top quality pacers) that batsman X would have encountered in this just 2000s era.

If batsman X does well in those 90s like scenario just has well as the amount runs he would smoke of the majority of flat decks & joke attacks that he would have faced in this 2000s. That is very fair guide IMO to how well batsman X would have done average wise in a past difficult batting era's vs quality pace attacks (50s - 80s as well as the 90s).

Plus cricket has been of a very similar style & standard since the 1950s:

- A regular diet of two of quality new-ball bowlers of the 80-90 mph vs openers in most teams

- change in the lbw rule.

- Introduction of helmets

- elimination of timeless tests

- 6 ball pers over in all natiosn except for AUS in the 60s & 70s

- No uncovered wickets, except the last phase of it in England during the 60s.

Has been very consistent in test cricket for more than 60 years now. So i'd say comparing players across era's in the last 60 years can be easily done. I can see no difference between comparing from the 1950s to 90s in terms of standard of cricket.

You can't compare post-war (1900-1939) to (1950s-1990s). Given for example uncovered wickets where present & lack of much quality pace attacks for batsmen. But taking out the uncovered wickets part & timeless test of 1900-1939 to the 2000-2009 its comparable given the lack of quality bowling present & the flat pitches. So there is absolutely no reason to bring up talk of time-machines - just use scenarios players encountered as a guide.

Their is a good chance too that using the evidence of 2010 to date, that this next decade of the 2000s (2010-2019) we could may be seeing a revival in quality pace attacks & testting 90s style conditions.

- AUS have good fast bowling attacks that will be around the majority of this decade.

- Steyn/Morkel just keep getting better & have good back-up potentially

- England have good depth now & teams touring ENG will always be tested by seaming conditons

- PAK have 4 strong seamers that will be around for a while, once something unsually crazy doesn't happen again.

- WI possibly could have Taylor/Roach/Edwards together @ some point.

- Just SRI, NZ, IND look a bit behind in pace depth department. But even in helpul conditions those pace attacks could be dangerous.

But this will be clearly wayyyyy above what batsmen encountered between 2000-2009 without a doubt.

Finally for the myth notion of:

quote said:
In these days of five day pitches and batsman-weighted conditions, the batsmen that prosper are the formula one cars. When the odd rally stage comes up, of course they look all at sea
That isn't true for the few great batsmen of the 2000s era like your Ponting & Dravid. Who as i mentioned earlier:

me said:
This wasn't the case with the likes of Ponting & Dravid for eg during the 2000s era @ their peak. They would dominate good or joke attacks on roads just like other average batsmen for years - but when the bowling & conditons got tough - they adjusted & stepped up accordingly. While other average batsmen (whose records where inflated by runs againts joke attacks on roads) would struggle.
Old timers like a Boycott, Gavaskar, Barrington who would be stodgers in certainly would not be critiqued at least by me for being slow scorers of flat decks oif the 2000s - especially when i know they would still score runs just as easily & better than many other recent players, who would just fail when they end facing tough conditions. Dravid plays like those blokes, has anyone every critqued his style for affecting INDs scoring rate etc?. Not to my knowledge (at least not any legitmate criticism)

There should be seperate thread on CW about this topic i think like the Murali vs Warne theread. Since there is no middle middle ground in this argument anymore. For every 20 posters who criticize FTBs accordingly - their is another 20 that defend using the same argument & every other thread this argument just keeps going around in circles.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
There should be seperate thread on CW about this topic i think like the Murali vs Warne theread. Since there is no middle middle ground in this argument anymore. For every 20 posters who criticize FTBs accordingly - their is another 20 that defend using the same argument & every other thread this argument just keeps going around in cricles.
I nominate this one. Not just because I started it (:p) but because it was actually supposed to be about this topic and didn't just descend into it.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I nominate this one. Not just because I started it (:p) but because it was actually supposed to be about this topic and didn't just descend into it.
Yea i remember that & IIRC you establised a theory to defend modernd FTBs. Which died out because people like myself & others who are fundamentally on the opposite side of the argument. Just ran into idelogical gridlock over the matter, so i dont know..

Furball

Evil Scotsman
AUS decks during McGrath although pitches in AUS did get flatter - wasn't unhelpul @ all gorunds all the time

- Basically every Brisbane test during McGrath peak (97-2006) had assitance for the bowlers for example.

- While the likes of MCG, SCG, Perth, Hobart fluctuated every season between being flat & bowler friendly.

- Only adelaide was always a batting beauty (unhelpul). But of course McGrath given he could reverse the ball on flat surfaces still manged to be effective there.
McGrath (and Warne incidentally) bowled better away from home than they did in Australia, so the unhelpful home pitches argument carries a lot more weight for McGrath than it does for Wasim, Waqar or Imran. Yet no-one uses the argument as an excuse to elevate McGrath's achievements.

Debris

International 12th Man
McGrath (and Warne incidentally) bowled better away from home than they did in Australia, so the unhelpful home pitches argument carries a lot more weight for McGrath than it does for Wasim, Waqar or Imran. Yet no-one uses the argument as an excuse to elevate McGrath's achievements.
I was always kinda sad that no home-town pitches were prepared for McGrath. Always wondered how he would go if a series at home was played on green seamers.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Overall, McGrath>Waqar>>Shoaib

Peaks? I don't care. Because at their peaks, Mendis>Murali and Hussey>Sachin. Depends on how you define a peak.

Disclaimer: I think Waqar had the potential to be the best fast bowler in the history of test cricket by a comfortable margin, period.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
LOL @ McGrath's 'unhelpful' pitches at home
McGrath bowled worse in Australia than he did outside Australia.

Australian pitches might not have been a massive hindrance, but they weren't as helpful as the pitches he played on abroad.

Imran, Kapil, Wasim and Waqar always get the "remember they had to bowl a lot on dead home wickets" excuse, despite the fact that all of them bowled better at home than they did abroad.