• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kane Williamson

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Another Duck. I hope they keep him for the whole tournament at least.

I was wondering why Taylor was protecting him by batting at 3. And now I know why.

Flem274*

123/5
Shot Howsie. :p

Haha well he's got my support, so that's a bad sign.
Hand in your supporters card. Now. We'll have your Hay and Sinclair ones while you're at it.

Meanwhile, I'm going to draft a list for you to support. Gareth Hopkins, Chris Martin and Jeetan Patel to start with. More soon.

BeeGee

International Captain
Another Duck. I hope they keep him for the whole tournament at least.
They have to keep him, what other top order batting options do they have in the squad... Ingram? I'm sure he'll play every game. I hope he can pass fifty in one of his next two innings, just to settle his nerves.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Shot Howsie. :p

Hand in your supporters card. Now. We'll have your Hay and Sinclair ones while you're at it.

Meanwhile, I'm going to draft a list for you to support. Gareth Hopkins, Chris Martin and Jeetan Patel to start with. More soon.
Maybe I should just start supporting Northern Districts.

Couldn't bring myself to, though.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Guess you can put it down to nerves. But he wasn't mentally ready for his inning.

If he had made his debut at 22 instead of 20 I am sure he would have scored runs last night.

He needs to perform well in the next game. God Speed Kane.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I would say that since it is only Ingram waiting in the wings - that he will get the tri series. But he could be demoted down the order to number 6 to take the pressure off him.

Polo23

International Debutant
I would say that since it is only Ingram waiting in the wings - that he will get the tri series. But he could be demoted down the order to number 6 to take the pressure off him.
That would be an incredibly poor move. His game isn't set up to bat at 6 at all (though, neither is Grant Elliott's), he doesn't have a power game and he would inevitably get out cheaply (or use up too many balls and then people would be criticising for different reasons).

A couple of ducks in a first couple of games is nothing to get worried about. A few nerves and an absolute beauty of a ball. If he manages to see off his first 20 balls or so, get 10 runs on the board then he will be away.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Just read that Sachin too scored a couple of 0s in his first two ODI games. Not too bad a company for Kane.

Howsie

International Captain
Could be worse - he could Attapatu it,

Surely he'll get the tri series. Then they'll reassess?
Well you'd hope so, it would be very poor management if you were to drop him especially with no better batsmen sitting on the sidelines. Martin Crowe said after they selected him for that second test against Australia that once you pick Williamson you stick with him no matter what, which is absolutely right for mine. They pulled the trigger on his international career so to speak, they now have to live with the consequences of doing so, which sadly enough hasn't started how everyone thought and wanted it too.

FTR this isn't new for Williamson, he made 0 and 1 in his first-class debut and only scored something like 20 odd runs during his first four one day games for ND. Perhaps he's just a slow starter.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Hah! I knew he was ****. He and Hay should get together sometime to swap notes on bullying undermanned opponents.

Seriously though, people need to stop panicking about him so much. He'll probably come good eventually, and even on the improbable chance that he doesn't, it's hardly like he'd be the first "next Martin Crowe" to be a disappointment.

NZ Guy

U19 Captain
Hah! I knew he was ****. He and Hay should get together sometime to swap notes on bullying undermanned opponents.

Seriously though, people need to stop panicking about him so much. He'll probably come good eventually, and even on the improbable chance that he doesn't, it's hardly like he'd be the first "next Martin Crowe" to be a disappointment.
Who are the others? Im pretty sure Williamson has had the most hype around him since Ive been watching

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If you go back a few more years, Craig McMillan. Had a decent career, but nowhere near what was predicted.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Well you'd hope so, it would be very poor management if you were to drop him especially with no better batsmen sitting on the sidelines. Martin Crowe said after they selected him for that second test against Australia that once you pick Williamson you stick with him no matter what, which is absolutely right for mine. They pulled the trigger on his international career so to speak, they now have to live with the consequences of doing so, which sadly enough hasn't started how everyone thought and wanted it too.

FTR this isn't new for Williamson, he made 0 and 1 in his first-class debut and only scored something like 20 odd runs during his first four one day games for ND. Perhaps he's just a slow starter.
Yeah I like this post. I think there is an adjustment period to get used to international cricket. You also have to factor in the concept of playing on TV and in front of a big crowd for the first time as well.

Found this interview about Kane - certainly has been a lot of hype about him...

YouTube - INTERVIEW: Martin Crowe

Just from following this thread no one is making any conclusions about him yet. I didn't see his first inning and he wasn't in long enough for me to comment about his technique either positively or negatively. I finally saw the highlight of the ball that bowled him and it was a tough ball to get.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
If you go back a few more years, Craig McMillan. Had a decent career, but nowhere near what was predicted.
What was actually predicted of Craig McMillan if you can remember? Was it just the usual "The next Crowe" "The potential to be New Zealand's greatest ever batsmen"? I remember my primary school cricket coach use to hate him and would go on rants about how he's just a big fat waste of talent (only starting because everyone wanted to adopt the McMillan stance at the time). His domestic record wasn't anywhere near as good as Williamson's was over the first two years of his career, although he did pick up some massive runs in his third year.

Flem274*

123/5
Some of my earliest cricket memories include Dad yelling through the TV at McMillan.

Which is odd because when he burst on to the international scene he was pretty good.