• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If it was shirt sales alone there are more known players in China we probably could have gotten. Deals for players like him are made all the time but the only reason he's brought up is because he's Chinese which is quite discriminatory. Don't judge where the player's from. Honda from Japan must also just be for the shirt sales as Asians can't play football.
:lol:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Watch out Ikki, Glen Johnson is the latest player linked to join Benitez in Italy. That is providing Maicon gets sold of course (which it will probably happen since his value will soon start go down).

Personally, if Santon can get back to full fitness, I would rather he get a go then Johnson, I mean if you can make your debut for team like Inter and 6 months later you are in the Italian senior team, you must have something going for you.
Not really worried about Johnson, he is more than replaceable. Worried about Gerrard and Torres leaving. With Hodgson being signed, you just never know.

Craig

World Traveller
Maicon is only about a million times as good as Johnson. Seems to fit in with the previous rumours of Benitez replacing Cambiasso and Sneijder with Mascherano and Kuyt. What exactly is he trying to do here.. sabotage Inter, or help Liverpool by forcing them to replace these guys with better players? :laugh: :laugh: As I said earlier, this is a huge comedown for Inter fans after a treble under Mourinho.

EDIT : I also heard he doesn't have the authority to make transfers anyway at Inter..
Correct. That is Marco Branca's (for those who remember, he spent a season at Middlesbrough from 98-99) job. Benitez can request players etc., but that is as far as it goes. Mascherano would offer something, but Kuyt is not fit to clean the boots of Milito, Eto'o etc.

chalky

International Debutant
We've signed Daniel Nardiello. I am willing to forgive the Man U and Wales past. I'm dead magnanimous me, unless he turn out to be ****e obviously. Then he'll be a "Taff Manure reject".
We had him on loan season before last looked a class act at our level wish we could have kept him permanently.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Probably.:happy:

In any case though, Dong only a topic because he's Chinese. If he was one of the random Europeans we sign all the time no one would care.
Well yes, those European countries all have players at high-profile clubs. China, 1 billion people, no players at top clubs, stick a crap Chinese player at a top club, $$$$$$.

grecian

We had him on loan season before last looked a class act at our level wish we could have kept him permanently.
Yeah, looks exactly the signing we need, IF he can stay fit for a season, fancy him for about 15-18, which would be a massive improvement on our strikers last year.

Squad is certainly shaping up:)

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Well yes, those European countries all have players at high-profile clubs. China, 1 billion people, no players at top clubs, stick a crap Chinese player at a top club, $$$$$$.
Surely it makes more sense to get one you know you can stick on the bench for a few years than someone you have to loan out to Belgium for a few years and then not play him and release him?8-)

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Surely it makes more sense to get one you know you can stick on the bench for a few years than someone you have to loan out to Belgium for a few years and then not play him and release him?8-)
If you bought him to actually play rather than sell shirts then yes.

Matteh

Seem to remember Dream Team bought in a crap Chinese player for shirt sales, actually played him, he was crap and the manager resigned.

Loaning him out and therefore having a good excuse to never ever play a crap player makes perfect sense.

Still, your unwillingness to bend on this issue is far less annoying than Ikki.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Man Utd sell the revenue from shirt sales to Nike for a fixed fee. Other clubs do this as well. So if anyone was pushing him to be signed for merchandising it'd be Nike.

Signing a player, loaning him out to get him a work permit and then releasing him is a rubbish risk. Much easier to just buy a ready made player and bench him with a few minutes here and there.