• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ottis Gibson quits England for Windies role

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Ottis Gibson is calling for unity today HERE, some encouraging words said by the man, as far as i'm concerned after that nightmare over the last few weeks it's a clean slate for WI cricket now, we MUST move forward, the target over the next few years should be to bring through the young talent we have, the WICB to stick to their promises of extending the four day competition, getting sponsers, building academys etc, then hopefully results will turn our way, next year i'd like tests at home against Pakistan and SL, over the past year we've had to face England and Australia so it's nowonder we aren't winning many games!! :laugh: .

shivfan

Banned
Corbin and Powell are ending their domestic season on a disappointing note....

Their batting averages this season will be unimpressive, I'm willing to bet.

Fletcher has been called into the 20/20 squad, so he's probably in for a callup to some of the ODIs.

Of course, these two guys will hopefully learn their lessons from this season, and will come better next year....

So far, I'd think Brathwaite and Horace Miller are ahead of them in the expectation stakes.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Corbin and Powell are ending their domestic season on a disappointing note....

Their batting averages this season will be unimpressive, I'm willing to bet.

Fletcher has been called into the 20/20 squad, so he's probably in for a callup to some of the ODIs.

Of course, these two guys will hopefully learn their lessons from this season, and will come better next year....

So far, I'd think Brathwaite and Horace Miller are ahead of them in the expectation stakes.
Corbin made another 40 today which isn't bad at all imo, lets remember we're talking about 19 year olds here, and yes Brathwaite and Miller certainly helped themselves yesterday, Miller is another in a long line of great talents we've got coming through, young Brathwaite was sensational yesterday and as i said it won't be long before he drives Gayle out of the side :laugh: .

shivfan

Banned
I think Gayle is going to be in the side for a while yet, judging by the performances of Barath, Darren Bravo, Pollard and Fletcher in the 20/20 today....
:)

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I think Gayle is going to be in the side for a while yet, judging by the performances of Barath, Darren Bravo, Pollard and Fletcher in the 20/20 today....
:)
As i said in the other thread it was Barath's first t20 game, Fletcher i don't really care anymore, it's up to him to stop getting damn ducks in a WI shirt, Bravo and Pollard will be back, the worrying thing for me is Chanders YET AGAIN failed with the bat, i thought he was our savior Mike? :laugh: .

shivfan

Banned
If those four had made the runs that Shiv had made, the WIndies would've won the match....
:cool:
If you'd watched the game, you'd have seen that run-scoring was difficult on that pitch, which, in some ways, was a typical Queens Park Oval wicket. The batsmen needed to graft, and Barath, Lil Bravo, Fletcher and Pollard failed to do that, which is disappointing, because as Trinis they should know that by now!
:laugh:
I expect Gibson to 'rest' a couple of them when the ODIs start....

WindieWeathers

International Regular
If those four had made the runs that Shiv had made, the WIndies would've won the match....
If you'd watched the game, you'd have seen that run-scoring was difficult on that pitch, which, in some ways, was a typical Queens Park Oval wicket. The batsmen needed to graft, and Barath, Lil Bravo, Fletcher and Pollard failed to do that, which is disappointing, because as Trinis they should know that by now!
I expect Gibson to 'rest' a couple of them when the ODIs start....
Come on Mike that's a feeble excuse, you were raving about Shiv staying at the knock for Guyana the other day and yet he can't even make 30 runs against Zimbabwe? :huh: at least the others you mentioned have lack of experience as an excuse, if Chanders had stayed at the crease we would have probably won, it works both ways Mike, as for the Odi's, i want to see Brathwaite given a chance, he can't do any worser than the others did.

Craig

World Traveller
Come on Mike that's a feeble excuse, you were raving about Shiv staying at the knock for Guyana the other day and yet he can't even make 30 runs against Zimbabwe? :huh: at least the others you mentioned have lack of experience as an excuse, if Chanders had stayed at the crease we would have probably won, it works both ways Mike, as for the Odi's, i want to see Brathwaite given a chance, he can't do any worser than the others did.
Do you seriously put any credit into performances in T20 as an indicator of whether or not somebody should be playing Tests? In that case, David Warner should be playing for Australia in Test cricket, and that would just be wrong.

Also would you drop Chris Gayle for the Test series v South Africa, when in his last two Tests, he scored two centuries? I care more what he does in Tests then in ODIs or T20s, but that is me though, where performances in the Test arena are where they are at. I don't really care too much about the other formats.

Lastly, this more of a general question to everyone, what was Gavin Tonge like on his Test debut in Perth? I was away during that Test and my viewing of the Test was rather limited so I can't give an accurate judgment on Mr Tonge.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Do you seriously put any credit into performances in T20 as an indicator of whether or not somebody should be playing Tests? In that case, David Warner should be playing for Australia in Test cricket, and that would just be wrong.

Also would you drop Chris Gayle for the Test series v South Africa, when in his last two Tests, he scored two centuries? I care more what he does in Tests then in ODIs or T20s, but that is me though, where performances in the Test arena are where they are at. I don't really care too much about the other formats.

Lastly, this more of a general question to everyone, what was Gavin Tonge like on his Test debut in Perth? I was away during that Test and my viewing of the Test was rather limited so I can't give an accurate judgment on Mr Tonge.
You'd have a point if it was just a one off perfomance Craig but as i've stressed ample amount of times already Shiv's been out of form for over a year now, i wasn't expecting miracles i just wanted to see one of our "seniors" stay at the crease for longer than five minuets and play some of those wonderful strokes we all know he's capable of, he'll probably ram some of my words down my throat during the odi's but i think my criticism of his recent form is justified to be honest,

As for Gayle, it's his conduct that concerns me as much as anything else, over the weekend while his team mates were getting embarrassed pictures have emerged of him on the lash in a jamaican nightclub!!, he's taking the p1ss :laugh: , i also have deep concerns about his failure to deal with Bollinger all through the tour in Australia, to get out to one person twice in one thing, but five times? that's unacceptable imo, he better get his act together sharpish because the boy wonder that is Kraigg Brathwaite is lurking in the background and believe me Kraigg will be ten times the player Gayle is.

Lastly i don't think Tong is in the long term plans, Collin Croft claims there's concerns over his batting ability and he's not the best pacer i've seen that's for sure, Shannon Gabriel, Jason Holder and Delorn Johnson are the ones to look out for in the next year or so i believe, hell even Lionel Baker might make a return after his good form in the domestic season.

Last edited:

shivfan

Banned
As we know, Colin Croft is not known for his great insights....

If batting ability was any indicator of how bowlers were selected, then Croft himself would never have made the WI side!
Tonge's bowling wasn't that great this domestic season, I think. The pacer with the best returns was that Bajan left-armer, Pedro Collins, who was head and shoulders above the other regional pacers.

Shiv may well be on the decline, because he is, after all, 35 years old. But even at 35, he's still a better player than the talented youngsters around in the region. So, until they can prove that they deserve a place in the side ahead of him, Gibson is right to retain him in the Test side.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
As we know, Colin Croft is not known for his great insights....

If batting ability was any indicator of how bowlers were selected, then Croft himself would never have made the WI side!
Tonge's bowling wasn't that great this domestic season, I think. The pacer with the best returns was that Bajan left-armer, Pedro Collins, who was head and shoulders above the other regional pacers.

Shiv may well be on the decline, because he is, after all, 35 years old. But even at 35, he's still a better player than the talented youngsters around in the region. So, until they can prove that they deserve a place in the side ahead of him, Gibson is right to retain him in the Test side.
"Head and shoulders" Mike? :blink: wasn't Baker the only pacer to have a 10 wicket haul? didn't he also finish the season with the best stats of any bolwer when he got 13/83? (just pipping Kantasingh's 12/84)... and looking at the figures he had a better strike rate and average while conceding less runs, Baker's argument is even more compelling when you consider Pedro only got three more wickets than him even though Pedro bowled a whole 52 overs more.

Btw Mike Gibson hasn't retained Shiv in the test side YET!! :D

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Gibson won't drop Chanderpaul (just like he won't drop Gayle) because unlike you he has common sense and a basic knowledge of Cricket.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Gibson won't drop Chanderpaul (just like he won't drop Gayle) because unlike you he has common sense and a basic knowledge of Cricket.
To be honest i don't give a monkeys what you think about my "knowledge of cricket", I'M A WINDIE FAN and i actually give a sh1t about the team, when your in a position of seeing your side fail time and time again then come back and spout your judgmental nonsense 8-) , clearly Shiv's form over the past year and Gayle's embarrassing displays in Australia have completely gone over your head.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'm confused as to how 2 centuries (1 a pretty-much match saving one) is embarrassing and also as to how Chanderpaul's form is so shocking.

And you can't talk to me about failure time after time as I'm a Coventry fan.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I'm confused as to how 2 centuries (1 a pretty-much match saving one) is embarrassing and also as to how Chanderpaul's form is so shocking.

And you can't talk to me about failure time after time as I'm a Coventry fan.
Firstly i know your sky blues are garbage but this isn't football discussion!! :laugh: , secondly two good innings and four poor ones in the tests doesn't mean anything imo, yes Gayle got a 100 but so did Bravo and Barath, he wasn't the only one, and instead of getting his act together in the Odi's and t20's he just got worse and worse as it went on, he was the captain and showed no leadership at all.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
If you'll look at the stats for the domestic four-day competition, which has just ended, you'll see that Shiv finished the season with the highest batting average, after his two matches for Guyana....
http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cri...es-domestic-season-2010-a-20.html#post2164831

Yeah, Baker finished the season well too, but aside from him and Collins, none of the other pacers took enough of a haul of wickets to challenge them.
It's a pity he didn't take that form into the game on Sunday huh Mike!! :cool: , as for the pacers, there was two youngsters who made their debuts this season who can play a major part for us in the future, one of course was Shannon Gabriel, he was impressive imo and the second being left-arm pacer Delorn Johnson, he took his first wicket and impressed for the Windwards in their last match of the campaign, those two will be around for a while and i'm glad they've got their FC careers off and running, also Brandon Bess didn't do too bad either, do you think Baker has a chance of making it back into the WI team Mike? he was on fire towards the end of the season man!!.

Last edited:

shivfan

Banned
With both Edwards and Taylor out with injuries, I think both Baker and Collins have a chance for selection in the Test series against South Africa....

However, I would expect Rampaul to be used in the ODIs, and possibly the 20/20s. Personally, I don't think it makes sense to persist with Rampaul in Tests.