• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Women's game

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Did anyone else watch the women's T20 game today?

Ending was as devastating as it was brilliant. Great advertisement for the game if you ask me. With the emergence of T20 cricket I would love to see more women's cricket put on before the men's games.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The skill level in general though is on about par with a 2nd grade club match. Obviously there are some outstanding players but aside from the close finish it wasn't a particuarly great game imo and thats pretty much the same as every womens game ive seen.

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
exciting game, and the best bit of skill came off the last ball of the game with that great catch by the kiwi keeper.

stephen

The skill level in general though is on about par with a 2nd grade club match. Obviously there are some outstanding players but aside from the close finish it wasn't a particuarly great game imo and thats pretty much the same as every womens game ive seen.
I still liked it. It's a very different game from the blokes' game. I think a televised T20 or two each summer would be a nice addition to the cricketing calendar.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
The skill level in general though is on about par with a 2nd grade club match.
That's a bit harsh. I was at the game and one thing I noticed was that I didn't see a single misfield or dropped catch from either side. They both looked very competent and enthusiastic in the field, something that cannot be said about Pakistan's international team.

That being said, comparing the Pakis' fielding skills with that of a 2nd grade team is probably giving them a bit too much credit...

Batting and bowling are obviously not the same as men's matches due to physcial differences, but I would actually be very interested to see a match between a strong women's international team against a 2nd grade team.

Himannv

International Coach
Bah, I'd like to see the womens game continue to grow. there was a time when it wasn't this good so its really been on an upward slope. As mentioned, their fielding is nothing close to shoddy and will probably compare favourably to some of those players in Pakistan and even India.

Besides, they are so much prettier to look at :D

Simon

That's a bit harsh. I was at the game and one thing I noticed was that I didn't see a single misfield or dropped catch from either side. They both looked very competent and enthusiastic in the field, something that cannot be said about Pakistan's international team.

That being said, comparing the Pakis' fielding skills with that of a 2nd grade team is probably giving them a bit too much credit...

Batting and bowling are obviously not the same as men's matches due to physcial differences, but I would actually be very interested to see a match between a strong women's international team against a 2nd grade team.
Ive mentioned this before but a few years ago I played a 4th grade match at a poor standard and the opposition had a then current England A womens player and she was horrific. Couldn't hit the ball of the square. Some of the female players of my club are reasonable and a number of them play state cricket and they would struggle to make our mens third grade side.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't really get why it matters that the women's players couldn't beat men's players. They're playing other women. I enjoy watching club cricket matches, sometimes they can be pretty exciting, and they can't beat the international players either.

Personally, I think having the T20 curtain-raisers is a good idea, and T20 is definitely the way forward for the women's game. The only problem is that if you want to watch the women you sometimes can't get a ticket because the men's match is sold out. I would have liked to watch the T20 world cup final last summer, for example.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldn't have rated it that high even.

I agree that it wasn't that great a game but it is the closest finish of the summer.

I think that they should play a 2-3 double headers next season that can be televised before mens games. Im sure there are girls out there who would certainly be encouraged to play if they started seeing womens matches on TV.

Thought the female commentator was pretty solid too.

Simon

I don't really get why it matters that the women's players couldn't beat men's players. They're playing other women. I enjoy watching club cricket matches, sometimes they can be pretty exciting, and they can't beat the international players either.

Personally, I think having the T20 curtain-raisers is a good idea, and T20 is definitely the way forward for the women's game. The only problem is that if you want to watch the women you sometimes can't get a ticket because the men's match is sold out. I would have liked to watch the T20 world cup final last summer, for example.
It doesn't matter, what matters is that the quality just isnt there, a close game doesnt always mean a good game. The reason people go to watch international cricket is because the quality is good, the players are skillful and are the best at what they do. You dont see thousands turn up to watch Randwick vs Sydney Uni third game because quite frankly they just arent that good.

stephen

It doesn't matter, what matters is that the quality just isnt there, a close game doesnt always mean a good game. The reason people go to watch international cricket is because the quality is good, the players are skillful and are the best at what they do. You dont see thousands turn up to watch Randwick vs Sydney Uni third game because quite frankly they just arent that good.
It doesn't stop people from watching women's tennis.

thierry henry

International Coach
The fact that women's sport is publicised in any way is fairly ludicrous tbh. Like having a special Pulitzer Prize for illiterates.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
The fact that women's sport is publicised in any way is fairly ludicrous tbh. Like having a special Pulitzer Prize for illiterates.
Yeah, I agree. I think it's totally unneccessary to have positive role models for girls, or to encourage them to play sport when they're growing up and give them something to aim for. Or even get them into sport so that when they have their own children, boys and girls, they can encourage them to play. Really, it's better to have them aiming to be a skinny, pretty, airheaded WAG instead.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
It will take time for women cricket to evolve in quality but at least there is a start to it......it will only help cricket to become popular.......

Dydl

International Debutant
Did anyone else watch the women's T20 game today?

Ending was as devastating as it was brilliant. Great advertisement for the game if you ask me. With the emergence of T20 cricket I would love to see more women's cricket put on before the men's games.
Yeah, loved watching the game on Sunday. Was a pretty good match, and a finish is a great advertisement for women's cricket. Loved Ellyse Perry's catch on the boundary too; glad it got the credit it deserved in the men's T20 later that night too.

Bit harsh about the skill level. It's hard to compare the two games because they're so different. Women's game isn't about bashing the ball around with your strength, it's more about placement and technique. I saw Ellyse Perry and Lisa Sthalekar play in a charity match last year for the Victorian bushfires, and they held up their own pretty well against such players as Steve Waugh, Matty Hayden, Dave Warner and Moises Henriques.

I was at the game and one thing I noticed was that I didn't see a single misfield or dropped catch from either side. They both looked very competent and enthusiastic in the field, something that cannot be said about Pakistan's international team.

The fielding is generally very good where Australian teams are concerned, reflective of the fielding standard in the WNCL competitions, as you would expect. You can't argue against some great outfield catches, and a great snare behind the stumps. Some of the women can throw just as far as the men can. I'd definitely say that some of the better fielders in the women's game are on a par with some of the good fielders in the men's game.

Ive mentioned this before but a few years ago I played a 4th grade match at a poor standard and the opposition had a then current England A womens player and she was horrific. Couldn't hit the ball of the square. Some of the female players of my club are reasonable and a number of them play state cricket and they would struggle to make our mens third grade side.
I've never found hitting off the square to be a problem with any of the women cricketers I've played with/seen play, quite to the contrary really. I don't reckon that someone like Ellyse Perry would struggle to get into any third grade side, but I can see where you're coming from; not all players are quality.

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
Yeah, I agree. I think it's totally unneccessary to have positive role models for girls, or to encourage them to play sport when they're growing up and give them something to aim for. Or even get them into sport so that when they have their own children, boys and girls, they can encourage them to play. Really, it's better to have them aiming to be a skinny, pretty, airheaded WAG instead.
Assuming you mean the complete opposite, well put :laugh: