• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tiger Woods

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
If you want to be treated like a normal person away from the golf course, i.e - have your privacy and live a normal family life then you shouldn't expect to be treated like a God in public because you can hit a golf ball. I find it funny that a bloke can go out and **** 13 women and people go "but it's his private life, leave him alone". It's not, and it never was from the moment he decided to turn pro at 17 and was a brilliant player.
yeah right...so because the guy is a brilliant player, his personal life becomes public property? he has never so much as implied that he expects to be treated like a god in public because of his great golf game...he has basically driven ratings and popularity and has had an unparalleled influence on sponsorship/prize money purely on the basis of his exceptional ability and none of it was because of his status as a family man...i am not condoning or endorsing what he did but the fact remains that it is none of your business or mine...

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd say to win a major at either sport is pretty much equally as hard. The fact is that Tiger Woods isn't even the pinnacle of his sport yet whereas Federer is.
Remind me again of Roger's record vs Nadal?

Love watching Federer play but its hard to call him the best tennis player ever (let alone best sportsman) when he has been so thoroughly dominated by one guy

Matteh

Remind me how many majors Federer has and how many Nadal has...

The fact is Federer is currently the very best and in all probability Nadal will overtake him someday.

social

Remind me how many majors Federer has and how many Nadal has...

The fact is Federer is currently the very best and in all probability Nadal will overtake him someday.
So by that rationale, Emerson was better than Laver :laugh:

Anyway, he has the most number of slams but the fact that Nadal, pre-injury, so thoroughly dominated Federer should raise questions in anyone's mind as to whether he is the best of his generation let alone all-time

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

yeah right...so because the guy is a brilliant player, his personal life becomes public property? he has never so much as implied that he expects to be treated like a god in public because of his great golf game...he has basically driven ratings and popularity and has had an unparalleled influence on sponsorship/prize money purely on the basis of his exceptional ability and none of it was because of his status as a family man...i am not condoning or endorsing what he did but the fact remains that it is none of your business or mine...
No, because he decided to turn pro and knew full well what that entails what he did was extremely stupid and neither he nor anyone else should be silly enough to think he'd get his 'private time' when the **** hit the fan.

I always find it funny when someone in the public eye expects to be left alone if a controversy hits. If they were left alone they would still be brilliant at what they do, but they wouldn't be making millions if no one was watching. Unfortunately, when you make it big in something like that, you can't pick and choose when people watch you.

As you can see from sponsors pulling out of personal endorsements, at least some of the money flowing into both Tiger's pockets and the game's was on the back of his image. Now that's been tarnished those dollars may drop at least slightly.

If you honestly think Tiger would be unaffected by the adulation and attention he gets just for being Tiger I think you might be slightly off the mark. All he's really done is take advantage of the fact that he'd have girls throwing themselves at him because he's Tiger. He may not have stood in front of a microphone and said he expects to be treated like a God, but his actions suggest he thought he was untouchable. Either that or incredibly stupid. And I don't think the latter would be even close to the truth.

It would be difficult, with all the attention, to stay on the straight and narrow though. I saw Aaron Baddely at a Aust PGA function after the final round at Royal QLD years ago and he had 4-5 girls around him on the dance floor all giggling away. Unfortunately for the girls Aaron wasn't going home with anyone but Jesus :) Mind you, he's done very well for himself in the end.

Still, Tiger's lived it up in the limelight and made money from it, he just has to put up with it now.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Apparently he's also pissing off his fellow patients at the *** rehabilitation clinic he's at currently. He's got a suite all to himself and has servants clean up and make his bed for him, while the others have to make do with sharing rooms and do their own chores as part of the process.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty much sums up my feeling on the issue. No one paid him millions because he was awesome at golf. They paid him millions because it boosted their ratings as network, sold more of whatever they were selling.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Not really. You still have to turn around the next hole and do it all again.
Of course but If you hit a great shot, you are more likely to go in -ve. That is the whole game If you reach a hole in 3 (in stead of 4) , you benefit.

In Tennis it doesn't matter whether you take 20 great shot or 4 great shots to win a game. The distribution of point doesn't depend on scoring in less/more no. of shots.

You have less control over what your opponent is doing when you play golf.
In other words you control your own destiny in Golf as opposed to Tennis. I don't know how that can be a bad thing.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Personally I will yeah, I'll still think he's a great golfer but hitting decent golf shots doesn't grant you a pass on being a decent person. .
How do you know he is not a decent person ? Just because he was nailing those women down ?

cpr

International Coach
Pretty much sums up my feeling on the issue. No one paid him millions because he was awesome at golf. They paid him millions because it boosted their ratings as network, sold more of whatever they were selling.
People paid him millions for being Tiger Woods the person, not the golfer. He signed sponsorship contracts that had nothing to do with Golf (eg Gillette). In my eyes he's taken his celebrity status out of his sport to make money, thus opening the door for people to look at his life beyond his sport. Dance with the Devil n all that.....

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How do you know he is not a decent person ? Just because he was nailing those women down ?
While married, with a young child, and all the while claiming to be a devoted family man, yeah.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Apparently he's also pissing off his fellow patients at the *** rehabilitation clinic he's at currently. He's got a suite all to himself and has servants clean up and make his bed for him, while the others have to make do with sharing rooms and do their own chores as part of the process.
Is that a good idea making *** rehab people share rooms? :huh:

I reckon Golf's probably tougher to win in theory than tennis, since in Tennis you only have to beat 7 people and the way seeding works always benefits the top players. There aren't the same favours in golf.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

You reckon!? And how did it come to be that plastering his face over things made their company millions? Oh, that's right, because he's awesome at golf. You don't think Nike and Titleist pay him ****loads because he's good at golf?

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

How do you know he is a decent person? Recent evidence points to the contrary. As I said in the Golf Thread, a friend of mine also worked in golf admin in the US and said she'd seen the other side of Tiger a few times.

Maybe he's a lovely guy, maybe he's a bit of an arsehole. Cheating on your wife with 13 women kind of point to the latter though. I don't think it was just '13 mistakes' though.

pasag

RTDAS
People paid him millions for being Tiger Woods the person, not the golfer. He signed sponsorship contracts that had nothing to do with Golf (eg Gillette). In my eyes he's taken his celebrity status out of his sport to make money, thus opening the door for people to look at his life beyond his sport. Dance with the Devil n all that.....
See the way I see it and probably because of my line of work, but just because you appear in ads or endorse a product doesn't give the public free access to your life. As far as I'm concerned that's still part of his professional life.

It's one thing if he was an appointed ambassador for family values or something like that. If he had spoken out against ''bad values" or rubbish like that in the past...

I'd also accept your point if someone carefully sought their popularity to become a celebrity in itself ala Paris Hilton then complained about it.

But the fact is just because he appears in ads, because he kept a clean image till now DOES NOT give any one excessive right to his personal life.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
The fact that the recent disclosures have caused many of his sponsors to drop him like a hot potato is proof enough that it was the complete package that was driving the endorsements, not merely his golfing skills.