• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India: Deserved of No. 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Alex

Banned
Yeah it was, but lots of people on this forum were saying the same thing. I don't think it suggests he has anything against India - he hasn't said anything completely outrageous in either case. I disagreed with him about Tendulkar but it wasn't a position that proves a bias by any stretch of the imagination.
Of course not. He equated Sehwag with Bradman only recently. So to say Chappelli is against India is ridiculous.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Whether India can be as dominant as WI or Aus is irrelevent to the question of whether they are number one. I don't understand why so many people confuse the two.

And for the record, Chappelli is right, not that it has to do anything with the current rankings.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
There is something called out of form and Chappell surprisingly for a cricketer of his astute observation and experience didn't even discount that with the injury he was sporting then.
Sachin had a good 3 under-par years and looked it. He'd already played some 17 years of cricket by that time, it was a pretty reasonable observation.

Anyway, Chappell hasn't said India are unworthy of #1 or anything like that, he just said that because they lack at least two great bowlers he doesn't see them dominating like Australia or the West Indies did. It wasn't an opinion he brought up, he was asked about it in the interview whether India could/would stay up for a while.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It was an elbow injury that wouldn't heal (I saw him once in the US, at Johns Hopkins hospital in a cast, with his wife where I presume he was getting that seen), and considering he had played a decade and half of cricket (his injury was from about 2004-2008), and three years is a long time. I wanted to go up and talk to him but I figured I should leave him alone, he was probably walking through a hallway undisturbed for probably the first time in 15 years.

From injury or age, I thought he would be finished by now as well. Ian Chappell was hardly alone in that assessment, nor was it something that was out of left field. At that age, it's very legitimate to question a long term slump whether it be from injury or otherwise. It happens to everyone.

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
It was an elbow injury that wouldn't heal (I saw him once in the US, at Johns Hopkins hospital in a cast, with his wife where I presume he was getting that seen), and considering he had played a decade and half of cricket (his injury was from about 2004-2008), and three years is a long time. I wanted to go up and talk to him but I figured I should leave him alone, he was probably walking through a hallway undisturbed for probably the first time in 15 years.

From injury or age, I thought he would be finished by now as well. Ian Chappell was hardly alone in that assessment, nor was it something that was out of left field. At that age, it's very legitimate to question a long term slump whether it be from injury or otherwise. It happens to everyone.
WHAT?!? I would have bought him a beer and got his autograph at the least. And a picture.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, like everyone else. Leave the poor guy alone FFS. He was walking with his wife - let him have his privacy, he hasn't had much in 20 years.

Now, if it was McGrath, I would have ran in and started humping his leg. :ph34r:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Yea, like everyone else. Leave the poor guy alone FFS. He was walking with his wife - let him have his privacy, he hasn't had much in 20 years.

Now, if it was McGrath, I would have ran in and started humping his leg. :ph34r:
Sachin is public property. We will burn him if we feel like it.:ph34r:

He can stay at home if he wants privacy. Wouldn't leave even if he sets his security on me tbh.

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
Sachin had a good 3 under-par years and looked it. He'd already played some 17 years of cricket by that time, it was a pretty reasonable observation.

Anyway, Chappell hasn't said India are unworthy of #1 or anything like that, he just said that because they lack at least two great bowlers he doesn't see them dominating like Australia or the West Indies did. It wasn't an opinion he brought up, he was asked about it in the interview whether India could/would stay up for a while.
In 2004 he averaged 94, 2005 - 44.4 and in 2006 due to injuries 25. How that counts as down the hill for 3 years is beyond me. In comparison Ricky Ponting has had an even longer run of indifferent form but yet Chappelli maintains he should still be there for Australia. Perhaps learning from experience?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
In 2004 he averaged 94, 2005 - 44.4 and in 2006 due to injuries 25. How that counts as down the hill for 3 years is beyond me. In comparison Ricky Ponting has had an even longer run of indifferent form but yet Chappelli maintains he should still be there for Australia. Perhaps learning from experience?
I don't know what the exact date was when Chappell had made the comments I just googled it and found a BBC piece on Chappell saying, it's dated 30th of March. If we go by the period 30 March 2004 to 30 March 2007 Tendulkar averages 36.63 in 23 matches. Without Bangladesh that's 28.90 in 21 matches.

Get off his case.

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
I don't know what the exact date was when Chappell had made the comments I just googled it and found a BBC piece on Chappell saying, it's dated 30th of March. If we go by the period 30 March 2004 to 30 March 2007 Tendulkar averages 36.63 in 23 matches. Without Bangladesh that's 28.90 in 21 matches.

Get off his case.
Chappel's remarks were more of knee jerk in retrospect to India's and Sachin's failure in the World Cup 2007.

Dissector

International Debutant
You know I have never found Chappeli to be biased against India. In 2007 there were quite a few Indian fans calling for Sachin to be dropped including a few on these forums. It wasn't a crazy suggestion at that time.

While I think India is the clear no.1 at the moment I think Chappell is right that India needs a couple of really top-quality bowlers in order to sustain that position in the long run. Of all the teams that have ever been no. 1 in test history India has among the weakest bowling attacks. Our bowling is greater than the sum of its parts and has the ability to get the job done as shown against Sri Lanka but clearly doesn't compare with the great attacks of previous decades.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You know I have never found Chappeli to be biased against India. In 2007 there were quite a few Indian fans calling for Sachin to be dropped including a few on these forums. It wasn't a crazy suggestion at that time.

While I think India is the clear no.1 at the moment I think Chappell is right that India needs a couple of really top-quality bowlers in order to sustain that position in the long run. Of all the teams that have ever been no. 1 in test history India has among the weakest bowling attacks. Our bowling is greater than the sum of its parts and has the ability to get the job done as shown against Sri Lanka but clearly doesn't compare with the great attacks of previous decades.
AWTA.. completely and strongly.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Dhoni refutes Ian view
- We will prove that team can sustain Test No. 1 status, says India captain
Mahendra Singh Dhoni. Ian Chappell

Dhaka: India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni has hit out at former Australia skipper Ian Chappell for his comments that India do not have champion bowlers to sustain their Test No. 1 status.

Talking after the team lost the tri-series final against Sri Lanka last night, Dhoni defended his bowlers and said Chappell was unnecessarily harsh in his judgement.

“It is not a fair statement. I agree that our bowlers are struggling now. But we have become the Test No. 1 because of the bowlers also and not only due to our batting,” Dhoni said.

He said that just because the bowlers struggled a bit doesn’t mean they have overnight become pedestrian.

“Sometimes batsmen struggle and sometimes bowlers. It is not fair to say that we don’t have good bowlers. We will prove it (that we can sustain Test No. 1 status),” he added.

Sri Lankan captain Kumar Sangakkara also sided with Dhoni and said India have top-class bowlers in pacer Zaheer Khan and off-spinner Harbhajan Singh.

“Of course, India has top-class bowlers. Zaheer is one of the best fast bowlers in the world and Harbhajan is top-class. Even Sreesanth can bowl reverse swing,” said Sangakkara.

“There are always critics and doubters, but it is your job to prove them wrong,” he added.

Chappell had earlier said that India do not have the bowling strength to stay at the top of the Test rankings on a long-term basis.

“I don’t think great teams are built on opening batting partnerships. But to me, there is a far more important thing, and this is one reason why I don’t rate India as a long-term No.1,” Chappell had told a cricket website.

“I think you have got to have two champion bowlers in your line-up to be a long-term successful cricket team. That is where India is failing at the moment,” he had said.

Chappell said gone to the extent of saying that the Indians do not even have one champion bowler in their line-up.

“When I look at the averages and the strike-rates for India in the last 12 months, I don’t see two champion bowlers. In fact, I am struggling to find one champion bowler in that line-up.”

“They've got some good bowlers. Sure, they have got a very good batting line-up, but the bowling is really not good enough to see them win consistently all around the world,” he said.

“Out of the 20 Tests India have played in the past two years, they have won nine and lost three,” he had concluded. (PTI)

The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Sports | Dhoni refutes Ian view

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Chappel's remarks were more of knee jerk in retrospect to India's and Sachin's failure in the World Cup 2007.
Dude is it so unreasonable to think that someone who had played cricket for 17-18 years and had been out of form for last -34 years should retire gracefully ? What Tendulkar has done is remarkable but that is an exception.

Ian Chappell wasn't the only one who had this in mind, there were many fans, indians included, who thought that Tendulkar had reached the end of his career. The fact that Ian
Chappell chose to speak his mind rather than being politically correct about speaks volumes of his commentary and makes him a rarity in the commentary box and that is the reason why he is respected all over the world.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Dude is it so unreasonable to think that someone who had played cricket for 17-18 years and had been out of form for last -34 years should retire gracefully ? What Tendulkar has done is remarkable but that is an exception.

Ian Chappell wasn't the only one who had this in mind, there were many fans, indians included, who thought that Tendulkar had reached the end of his career. The fact that Ian
Chappell chose to speak his mind rather than being politically correct about speaks volumes of his commentary and makes him a rarity in the commentary box and that is the reason why he is respected all over the world.
AWTA... well said.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket

I believe in the maxim that player has the right to decide when to retire. If he is dropped, it is fair enough but no one should say publicly some one should retire. It is disrespectful and shortsighted IMO.

Also, I had more balls than Chappell and faced far more wrath than Chappell to say Tendulkar was not past it. Almost every one I knew wrote him off.

Status
Not open for further replies.