• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in Australia

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Two of those matches were the biggest series of his life and the other was his first Test at home, when he was (probably) playing for his spot in the side. I'll forgive him for playing at a few he shouldn't because he's nervous. He's the type of player you need to back, and let him have a run.

The numbers don't lie here imo.
Like the numbers of his last 6 test innings ?

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Are you ****ing high ? The guy has no idea what grit and determination is, he just wants to unleash his next coverdrive. His technique is flawed, and unlike many who have flawed techniques and are able to work around them he hasn't done so yet.

Shocked the saffies didn't work him out, not surprised he failed in england, also surprised he averages so much in FC cricket, but that could be a blight on the domestic bowlers, and my personal favourite, flat pitches
Like this flat deck?

Tasmania v New South Wales at Hobart, Dec 2-4, 2008 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Two of those matches were the biggest series of his life and the other was his first Test at home, when he was (probably) playing for his spot in the side. I'll forgive him for playing at a few he shouldn't because he's nervous. He's the type of player you need to back, and let him have a run.

The numbers don't lie here imo.
Does he need a run in Test cricket though? Surely he can benefit from one or two more heavy-scoring domestic seasons before then. Incidentally the runs haven't been particularly flowing domestically either. Low 40s average IIRC.

I mean, surely Australia has too strong a cricket structure to need to develop it's Test players at Test level.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hasn't he been making plenty of runs for the state ? What does that tell you ?
Yeah, he's in decent nick. As Nath said though it's quite possible he was just nervous.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the people backing Hughes are the ones who have seen him bat for NSW a fair bit. We've seen how his technique works for him - once you get used to the unorthodoxy of it all, he sometimes just looks like he's never going to get out, and the numbers back it up. I don't really like watching him bat at all and I don't like players being selected on such a small sample size as the one Hughes was picked from originally so if anything I should be biased against him, but I rate him. A point that has been made quite often of late is that a technique is a means to an end rather than the end itself, and I think Hughes epitomises that by scoring so many runs in the best First Class competition in the world, not to mention dominating the toughest tour in the world at the moment for an opening batsman - which happened to be his first Test series - just after his 20th birthday.

Sure, he may not be as good as Rogers or Jaques at the moment and we could argue about that all day but some of the criticism of him is way over the top. The bloke can definitely bat, regardless of what it looks like.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Could you post me a picture of the aforementioned 'deck' please ?

Yeah, he's in decent nick. As Nath said though it's quite possible he was just nervous.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the people backing Hughes are the ones who have seen him bat for NSW a fair bit. We've seen how his technique works for him - once you get used to the unorthodoxy of it all, he sometimes just looks like he's never going to get out, and the numbers back it up. I don't really like watching him bat at all and I don't like players being selected on such a small sample size as the one Hughes was picked from originally so if anything I should be biased against him, but I rate him. A point that has been made quite often of late is that a technique is a means to an end rather than the end itself, and I think Hughes epitomises that by scoring so many runs in the best First Class competition in the world, not to mention dominating the toughest tour in the world at the moment for an opening batsman - which happened to be his first Test series - just after his 20th birthday.

Sure, he may not be as good as Rogers or Jaques at the moment and we could argue about that all day but some of the criticism of him is way over the top. The bloke can definitely bat, regardless of what it looks like.
Sure he can bat, but he can't, in my opinion, bat as well as Rogers. And maybe even at this early stage, Jaques, who is fairly hard done by, and for the record equally ugly to watch.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Does he need a run in Test cricket though? Surely he can benefit from one or two more heavy-scoring domestic seasons before then. Incidentally the runs haven't been particularly flowing domestically either. Low 40s average IIRC.

I mean, surely Australia has too strong a cricket structure to need to develop it's Test players at Test level.
I believe he's ready for a regular Test position. Nothing about development at all.

Like the numbers of his last 6 test innings ?
Did you even read my post? It directly answers this.

Could you post me a picture of the aforementioned 'deck' please ?

Sure he can bat, but he can't, in my opinion, bat as well as Rogers. And maybe even at this early stage, Jaques, who is fairly hard done by, and for the record equally ugly to watch.
I can't post you a picture, but I was in Hobart for it. The pitch was well green, and it was overcast for all three days. Bracken took wickets for goodness sake, of course it was a seaming deck. :p I'd still rate Hughes' performance in that match as one of the best I've ever seen by a batsman at State level. On the second day, rain interrupted play several times, but he stayed so solid while everyone else fell apart. Apart from his missed run-out, he had an incredible match.

I can understand somewhat if you're not 100% sure that Hughes should be playing Tests. But your arguments against him don't add up imo.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
will win or can win?

If you think they will win, please explain why.

If they do I win $900+. Not confident though lol.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was a bit tolerant when we lost the Ashes. There I think we genuinely did lose the big moments, given that we made more runs, took more wickets etc etc. But this match we've been really dire, mainly with the bat, but not great with ball either. And you could say it's a blip, but the thing was, as we collapsed on Sunday, and as our middle order utterly failed to capitalise on the bully pulpit Watson provided them today, no-one was at all surprised. It's sobering to realise how much our middle order depends on Ponting being brilliant. Problem is, there ain't many options to make it better.
Yeah, I had a look at this season's SS stats and the only guys I'd have faith in are Hodge, Jaques, Rogers and Dussey

Unfortunately, one has retired because he's got the ****s with the selectors, 2 are openers that seem to have had their cards marked "never to play again" and the other really isnt guaranteed to be any improvement

Outside them and you have White (a maybe at 6), Klinger (1.5 great seasons on a road following years of mediocrity), Marsh (not a great record in fc), Bailey (up and down) and youngsters like Khurawhateverhisnameis that probably need more time

Given this, I can see why the selectors are willing Hughes to succeed as the cupboard is not exactly overflowing

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Are you ****ing high ? The guy has no idea what grit and determination is, he just wants to unleash his next coverdrive. His technique is flawed, and unlike many who have flawed techniques and are able to work around them he hasn't done so yet.
Early days yet..

Rant0R said:
Shocked the saffies didn't work him out, not surprised he failed in england, also surprised he averages so much in FC cricket, but that could be a blight on the domestic bowlers, and my personal favourite, flat pitches
The reason he failed in ENG was because of Flintoff with his high/pace/accuracy troubled him with the around the wicket angle & short pitched bowling. The Saffies clearly bowled that lenght to him & he handled it very well TBF..

ret

International Debutant
which is a good site for betting? I would like one that lets you pay/withdraw by paypal.

howardj

International Coach
With Hughes, you know you will get gritty determination and application, and that's what we need.

The guy averages 59 in First Class cricket and 52 in Tests.
Spot on.

When Katich is fit, I'd rather persist with a bloke like Hughes (who has the above numbers, who is only 21 years old, and who has scope for improvement) than North (who is on the wrong side of 30, and has a modest Australian FC record).

I stand by my comments made when North was selected - the guy is a journeyman.