• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Group A Discussion - Pakistan, West Indies, Australia, India

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Tony Lewis, of Duckworth and Lewis, has emailed giving us the correct permutation. A newer version of the software was implemented for this tournament, which Tony has. Per the new WinCODA2 software being used by Tony and the scorers in South Africa, India's target will be 266 in 42 overs, and 166 for 20 overs. Thanks for that Tony. Appreciated. And no, this system apparently does not take into consideration Powerplays.

166 in 20 now, not 153.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Lightning has apparently hit one of the light towers (rumor as of now - mentioned by the TV commentator in the studio once but not later).

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is a washout.

Harsh on India but you can't say they deserved to make the semis on merit.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They've been poor by all accounts, but you'd still prefer to be chasing 166 in 20 overs than having your fate in the hands of Pakistan. Of all teams.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I actually made the exact same argument against some one who used my argument on facebook before they corrected the runs required and increased it on cricinfo. I am a confused mess. I agree with my first stance on facebook and your stance which are both the same.

Last edited:

Dissector

International Debutant
India and Sri Lanka had to share the trophy when rain washed out the final. And yes it's stupid. How difficult would it be schedule an extra day for what is the biggest ODI tournament of the year?

Dissector

International Debutant
India has the advantage of playing second on Wednesday. If Australia do lose they will know what they need in terms of NRR. Realistically I think Australia will win. They are the better team, appear to be in decent form and have much more to play for.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Dropping Harbhajan- That's too tough a call to take, especially if they're going into the semis of the Champions Trophy. While statistics may not back him, he may provide more in terms of intangibles- particularly experience, which can translate into knowledge for the other spinners. Already the pacers are handicapped because of Zaheer's absence. Of course, the next time the Indians play a needless, useless ODI tournament (Kitply, Wealthsurance, all those obscure sponsors), he can sit out of it, with Ishant.

Now a little thought is required here. Every other team has at least three multi-skilled players. Not quite the genuine all-rounder by definition, but each of these teams has got enough players who can be at least decent at both skills. We can identify two types in them-
  • Type A: Watson, Hopes, Cameron White, Luke Wright, Jacob Oram, Shoaib Malik, Albie Morkel, Roelof van der Merwe, Sanath, Matthews, Gayle
  • Type B: Johnson, Lee, Hauritz, Swann, Broad, Vettori, Franklin, Mills, Afridi, Rana Naved, Botha, Parnell (?), Kulasekara, Thushara, Bravo
You can guess what each type is. Some may be swapped. Kallis and Flintoff may be left out because they're full-fledged all-rounders who can go solo, while these operate in groups. I've also left out Type C, which includes the wicketkeepers.

Now India need to identify some players who can go the distance, for either type. We've seen the Indians lack bowling strength when they play seven batsmen, and with five bowlers, the batting solidity is missing. Put two together, and they need multi-skilled players, and more than one. Genuine all-rounders are very hard to come by, so this is the next best. They need to groom a pool, to get one of Type A and two of Type B, to maintain balance in the team. More importantly, they need to find players who can adapt to this properly, so that they don't compromise on their main skill. Who can do the multiple role of either type for India?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Bringing in RP for Harbhajan doesn't look that bad an option though it does mean a longer tail.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Greatly vexed by the rain, finally had a day when work, univeristy or other stufff did not intefere with the match and two teams I always enjoy watching. Just want to see a bit of Sachin before this tournament ends.