• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
:unsure: I think Dirky you will find that almost every NZ poster on this forum agreed in the Champions Trophy thread that Patel was lucky to be selected ahead of McCullum. Forgotten already? :p

Along with Diamanti over Franklin and Hopkins over McGlashan.
What I meant was in this thread regarding the first ODI of this weird computer-in-a-sculpture cup series, cause nobody had yet posted a squad or explictly stated they wanted Nathan over Patel for the first game :laugh:
That's why I put the little footnote in the brackets :happy:

Cricinfo said:
Daryl Tuffey's performance, a five-for in his only playing opportunity before he flies out to remind all of his abilities, and a chance to give other limited-overs recruits playing time were the bright spots McCullum pointed to in a warm-up defeat against a side featuring eight internationals.
There seems to be conflicting info, I was given the impression Tuffey was staying with the ODI sqaud so they could fly directly to South Africa after.
Seems like a waste to send him back home?

And to add to the McPatel debate, Nathan has some fairly decent bowling form behind him, getting figures of 5/85 off 22, 3/79 off 23, 0/105 off 20 and 3/38 during his A tour games. Just that 0/105 is poop, but at least it shows he can perform in the sub-continent (although this was in a 2-day game situation).

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
Where did you get those figures from?

I could never get scorecards from the A series in India, which irritated me because I wanted to see Bond's figures.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I wanted Nathan to play ahead of Patel in all the ODI matches champions trophy included. But I am unsure of who should play in the compaq cup. On the one hand since it is a done deal that Patel is going to the champs trophy and Nathan isn't so maybe it is a good idea for Patel to get as much practice in as possible.
On the other hand it would be nice to see us win something. And the boys would benefit from the momentum and I think Nathan = a better chance of winning.

So I could go either way on the compaq cup 2nd spinner question.

Last edited:

DingDong

State Captain
there's no need for this talk ok. patel picked up 6 wickets in his last test. more than any other bowler and you want him replaced. we would probably still be bowling to the lankans if it was a timeless test and he didn;t play ok.

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Errr, tests and ODIs and Twenty20s are three vastly different forms of the games so I'm not sure how Patel's bowling in the 2nd test is relevant to the Champions Trophy. Could you PLEASE stop trying to stifle debate. This is a forum - we are here to express opinions.

DingDong

State Captain
Errr, tests and ODIs and Twenty20s are three vastly different forms of the games so I'm not sure how Patel's bowling in the 2nd test is relevant to the Champions Trophy. Could you PLEASE stop trying to stifle debate. This is a forum - we are here to express opinions.
ok

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
There was a comment today from Baz on cricinfo that said that Bond wasn't bowling at the same speed as 2007 but was still very effective.

"It's been good to have Shane back too. He probably doesn't have the genuine pace he had in the VB Series a couple years ago [2006-07] but he's certainly a better bowler with the ability to read the game and read a player. The likes of Kyle Mills and Ian Butler have really stepped up and all in all, it's a pretty decent bowling line-up."

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well we went suddenly from an okay middle of the road ODI bowling lineup to perhaps the best in the world.

Bond, Mills and Vettori are top ten material.
Butler and Tuffey are solid options.

The Oram position is the weakest

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well we went suddenly from an okay middle of the road ODI bowling lineup to perhaps the best in the world.

Bond, Mills and Vettori are top ten material.
Butler and Tuffey are solid options.

The Oram position is the weakest
Oram as a fifth bowler as part of a good attack in ODIs is perfectly fine IMO. He bowls good areas and gets bounce; as long as the other bowlers do their jobs up front and all he has to do is a bowl a disciplined spell in the middle overs he's actually quite good. Problems start appearing when he needs to take a wicket or bowl at the death but with the attack you have I don't think it's a big issue.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Oram as a fifth bowler as part of a good attack in ODIs is perfectly fine IMO. He bowls good areas and gets bounce; as long as the other bowlers do their jobs up front and all he has to do is a bowl a disciplined spell in the middle overs he's actually quite good. Problems start appearing when he needs to take a wicket or bowl at the death but with the attack you have I don't think it's a big issue.
Yeah Oram is probably one of the better 5th bowling options in international cricket.

What are the international attacks anyway...

Athlai

Not Terrible
Australia: Lee, Johnson, Bracken, Hauritz, Watson
England: Can't keep up with them Anderson blank blank blank Collingwood
India: Sharma, Khan, Harbhajan, blankety blank, blankety blank
Pakistan: Asif, Aamer, Gul, Afridi, blank
Sri Lanka: Malinga, Kulasekara, Murali, Mendis, Jayasuriya/Dilshan/Mathews
South Africa: Steyn, Parnell, Kallis, A Morkel, Harris
West Indies: Edwards, Taylor, Bravo, Benn, blank
Bangladesh: Mortaza, Rasel, Shakib, Razzak, Bangladeshi spinners x 1000

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Australia: Lee, Johnson, Bracken, Hauritz, Watson
England: Can't keep up with them Anderson blank blank blank Collingwood
India: Sharma, Khan, Harbhajan, blankety blank, blankety blank
Pakistan: Asif, Aamer, Gul, Afridi, blank
Sri Lanka: Malinga, Kulasekara, Murali, Mendis, Jayasuriya/Dilshan/Mathews
South Africa: Steyn, Parnell, Kallis, A Morkel, Harris
West Indies: Edwards, Taylor, Bravo, Benn, blank
Bangladesh: Mortaza, Rasel, Shakib, Razzak, Bangladeshi spinners x 1000
:laugh::laugh:

Polo23

International Debutant
Weather not looking too flash...thunderstorms and 100% chance of precipitation. I don't like those odds!