• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting shows lack of class (Chapter 94)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
<sigh> fine. For the VAST majority of people refering to yourself in the third person conveys elements of self importance or self absorption.
Again, disagree completely. I don't see how anyone is in a position to assess the vast majority. When I've seen people do it, it's attracted some criticism and one hell of a lot of utter indifference. You, clearly, have a different experience.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
rivera213 said:
To my ears something like- "They don't have a bowler like me or Stuart" sounds more arrogant than "they don't have a bowler like a Broad or an Anderson".
Interestingly, I reckon the addition of the "a" in front makes a huge difference.

Lets just say it was Fred Spofforth talking about his opposition.

"They don't have a bowler like a Fred Spofforth..."
"They don't have a bowler like Fred Spofforth..."

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sometimes the "a\an" isn't grammatically correct though.

EG:
"Michael Vaughan will be fine, don't you worry" just doesn't work as "a Michael Vaughan will be fine, don't you worry".

Matt79

Global Moderator
Would like to continue this discussion, really would but a/an Matt79 simply finds it too tedious a non-issue. Matt79 hopes you enjoy it though.

Smith

Banned
Sometimes the "a\an" isn't grammatically correct though.

EG:
"Michael Vaughan will be fine, don't you worry" just doesn't work as "a Michael Vaughan will be fine, don't you worry".
I'd be worried on both counts if I were a Pom.

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
Find him a ****y little bastard tbh.....
Ha ha.

Well, that's your opinion, though I don't know how someone could derive that opinion from watching his mannerisms on the field.

Interestingly, I reckon the addition of the "a" in front makes a huge difference.

Lets just say it was Fred Spofforth talking about his opposition.

"They don't have a bowler like a Fred Spofforth..."
"They don't have a bowler like Fred Spofforth..."
Yeah, but someone people just don't use the "a".

My grandad hardly used any ajoining words (he was from Yorkshire so imagine Trueman's accent).

"They don't have t'bowler like Fred Trueman" is how it'd come out if he was explaining they don't have a swing bowler like Fred Trueman.

Jimmy may just speak like that because he's from up north.

If it were Pietersen who said it then yes that would be a sign of arrogance, cos he has some arrogance- it's what makes him great, but Anderson..... I don't really buy it tbh. He hasn't shown any real sign of ****iness during his whole career. He doesn't seem that type of person at all.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When did Jimmeh say this?
In the same article he referred to himself in the third person...I'll have to find it again now. I saw it the other day, but can't remember where now. I'll post it here when I find it again.

Anderson talks up role in England's challenge - Cricket - Sport - theage.com.au

Here it is - it's actually 'I know how important I am to this group of lads here'. He might be right too. It's an Australian newspaper so, dare I say it, they could be indulging in some muckraking.
I think Jimmy will find though that if Jimmy Anderson doesn't take wickets Jimmy Anderson will become less important to the guys than Jimmy Anderson thinks Jimmy Anderson will.

In the context of the team, if Flintoff isn't there then Anderson is probably the most important in terms of bowling. If he doesn't get it right then it could fall apart. I'd say his partnership with Flintoff is crucial.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England set to say no to Ponting - The Ashes 2009 - Fox Sports

Anyone know whether this is set-in-stone? If so, the ECB indulging in the silliest games of the pre-tour hype so far surely. Even tops people bitching about Hughes being given a pre-Ashes hit in England despite him being signed well before he made the Test side (if anything, MIddlesex got reamed because they woudl have signed him with a full season in mind).

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Pretty similar to what occurred over here in the last Ashes, except England had an extra OD game. Think it's really not a huge issue as such.

pasag

RTDAS
Would CA grant the request if the roles were reversed? I doubt it and not from a gamesmanship pov, but because the games lose FC status and become a little bit of a joke. Not that I care, personally, but I've seen people on this board get pretty pissy with 12 a side games.

Top_Cat

Would CA grant the request if the roles were reversed? I doubt it and not from a gamesmanship pov, but because the games lose FC status and become a little bit of a joke. Not that I care, personally, but I've seen people on this board get pretty pissy with 12 a side games.
Read the link, mate. CA did;

It appears the move would mirror England's preparations for the last Ashes series in Australia in 2006-07 when the tourists played 14 in their opening tour game against NSW but then played with 11 against South Australia.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Read the link, mate. CA did;

It appears the move would mirror England's preparations for the last Ashes series in Australia in 2006-07 when the tourists played 14 in their opening tour game against NSW but then played with 11 against South Australia.

I think the ECB are thinking of doing the same for the Australian team aren't they? That's what I just read. They are just having reservations about granting permission to do so for both games.

Top_Cat

I think the ECB are thinking of doing the same for the Australian team aren't they? That's what I just read. They are just having reservations about granting permission to do so for both games.
Ah, yes. Should follow my own damn advice and RTFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.