• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gutted to lose that from a position of strength, but it really highlights how good Bracken is. Don't think I've ever seen a better limited-overs death bowler.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Sure was, with all those wickets in the hand and the batsman we had to come, Fulton really cost us big time there.

Well done Bracken though - all class.

Nathan McCullum has moved ahead of Jeetan Patel now though I'd have to say.
In T20 but I've been saying that all along.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Elliott seems to be a bit of a Kallis if you ask me. Perfect for the 50 over format, but is too technically correct for the Twenty20's. They needed Franklin and N.McCullum in ahead of him. It's a bad way to finish for Elliott because he has been impressive. But im not sure i'd pick him for the Twenty20's.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't think it was necessarily a temperament thing. Just took the wrong way about it. His job was to get McCullum on strike, and every time he got a dot ball he tried to make up for it with a boundary.
Yeah I see that and what Jono is saying. Just disagreeing with the straight-up Elliott hate when he's far from being the sole reason for the loss.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Elliot completely lost the plot. Surrounded by the McCullums, Franklin, Butler, Southee etc., he should've just feed the strike to the other end. Instead he slogged and missed no fewer than EIGHT times. You can't say anything too harsh about him, as he's had a great tour and this is only 20/20, but he really did cost us the match.

Last edited:

Redbacks

International Captain
Gun catch from Voges:happy:

Bracken's bowling was brilliant, the ball that produced the run out was almost similar to a kick serve in tennis, bit of pitch assistance?

thierry henry

International Coach
Elliott seems to be a bit of a Kallis if you ask me. Perfect for the 50 over format, but is too technically correct for the Twenty20's.
tbh don't see that at all

Kallis has been criticised in the 50-over game as well, while Elliot has shown an ability to score around a run a ball in crucial innings in ODIs which is exactly what Kallis is criticised for not doing

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, I was responding to your reference of his playing of Bracken. I had more issue with other things than what he did against Bracken.
That's fine, so do I. But I'm not sure why you're arguing/telling me that when I already dislike what Elliott tonight - I was directly discussing with Top_Cat one aspect of his play. Not exactly sure what point you're trying to prove.

pup11

International Coach
Haha, superb game, after Hopes got smacked for 20 in the 17th over, pretty much all hope was lost, but fantastic bowling from Bracks and Hilf in the last few overs to win Aussies the game.

Siddle was easily the best bowler on display, but the highlight of the game for me was Voges' catch, it was simply awesome.

Btw, why was Henriques picked...?

inbox24

International Debutant
You said Australia needed 200 as a minimum and that Guptil would score iirc. Nice.

Wish some new Australian posters would show a hint of class. :(

Great having you here Kiwis. :) You were fantastic. Cheers to the standout Kiwi posters on here, really insightful. :thumbsup:
Tbh it was done in jest.

thierry henry

International Coach
tbh my take on the Elliot thing is he just had a bad night and couldn't hit the ball

Not a brain fade or anything, just couldn't hit the ball. It happens- especially if you're not exactly Sachin Tendulkar in terms of raw ball-striking talent.

pasag

RTDAS
Was Elliott's first T20I in fairness. I guess it's not the easiest once you've found such a good formula in ODIs over th past few weeks and then have to completely change your game at the drop of a hat on debut.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Elliot completely lost the plot. Surrounded by the McCullums, Franklin, Southee etc., he should've just feed the strike to the other end. Instead he slogged and missed no fewer than EIGHT times. You can't say anything too harsh about him, as he's had a great tour and this is only 20/20, but he really did cost us the match.
Yeah, but I'd say Voges won the match for Australia more than Elliot lost it for NZ.

If that had gone for 6, or if he hadn't of caught it, I think it would have been all over.

Still, Elliot still should have played smarter. In ODI's he doesn't go for those awful heaves. He should have been working the 1s and 2s like he does well. As we only lost by one run, its obviously that 4 every ball wasn't necessary.

Well played Australia, an enjoyable tour despite the dire commentary.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Great tour ends... and waiting for Indians to come to NZ.. I think NZ have got good team ready to trouble Indians